I'm having issues with being mounted..

Altephor

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That sounds dirty, I know.

Anyways, I started training in BJJ last week, today will be my third class. Obviously, I have not learned a heaping amount of things in 2 classes, but I feel like I am definitely learning useful techniques. The first class was all about sweeps and gaining side control from being in guard, and the second was learning forward/backward rolls and applying them to variations of the armbar.

Anyways, twice I have partnered with the same kid in the class, and during open sparring he always seems to be able to go to mount quite effortlessly. Once he has me in mount I find myself basically useless, so I'm looking for techniques that I could at least attempt to use in the situation. I found one on lockflow.com where I would go from mount to an ankle lock, but I'm looking for more in case that doesn't work.

upa, shrimp and patience.

It's your third class - you're supposed to be getting mounted effortlessly. Work on what your instructor teaches rather than looking up techniques on the internet. I learned this the hard way and wished some one had told me.

(Actually, I think Montanha tried to tell me on this forum, but I was an idiot noob. Still am.)

I wouldn't worry too about it being that you've only been to two classes. I understand your concern though. We've all been there. I don't think I knew how to tie my belt after two classes. :icon_chee

If you're looking for something more, I would focus on learning proper technique to keep him from passing rather than learning mount escapes. In my opinion, in the long run, learning how to effectively (per your instructor) break down his posture will open many more doors than learning a mount escape.

the best thing you can do is ask your instructor, he should beable to show you alot better than we can describe to you over the net

Obviously I know I am a beginner and that I should 'tap early, tap often', but during free rolling I just feel kind of helpless. It's not so much I care about being submitted but I feel like I am a detriment to the person I am partnering with, since he has been there longer and doesn't learn a whole lot of new things from me. It's less me wanting to submit and more that I just want to pose some kind of challenge to the guy I'm rolling with so that he isn't bored.

Rush, I was more looking for links or recommendations for video/pictorial step-by-step instruction. Of course the instructor is better able to show me, but I thought I would research a few techniques and just give them a try during free roll, even though I may not execute them with perfection.

Obviously I know I am a beginner and that I should 'tap early, tap often', but during free rolling I just feel kind of helpless. It's not so much I care about being submitted but I feel like I am a detriment to the person I am partnering with, since he has been there longer and doesn't learn a whole lot of new things from me. It's less me wanting to submit and more that I just want to pose some kind of challenge to the guy I'm rolling with so that he isn't bored.

eh new people always pose new challenges and teach us things. They teach the higher belts how to teach to a new person, or you might react differently then others when in a situation. Sometimes us Jitsers get so used to people defending the "right" (read quote unquote right way) that when someone throws some bizarre technically wrong escape it makes us look for a counter to that. Marcelo garcia talks about the fact that when he rolls with lower belts and even new people he puts them into a position and sees what their reaction is and then figures his reaction out for it. So don't feel like a detriment to training, just the aliveness of the training is helping someone if they are using proper technique.

I am actually surprised that it is your third class and more escapes haven't been covered. Granted I started at a university club that each year we start back over and escapes were the second day of class, but still you just need to ask the instructor or the blue belts to work with you on them/show them.

Submissions 101: Free Online Jiu Jitsu Videos

check out that site,
and im no pro or anything but ill throw in my 2 cents to help you get out of mount, keep bucking so he cant balance as well and then try to trap an arm and roll him to that same side, or the elbow escape ( i dunno how to explain that one) but like i said im not expert or anything that just a few basics that have worked well for me

I am actually surprised that it is your third class and more escapes haven't been covered. Granted I started at a university club that each year we start back over and escapes were the second day of class, but still you just need to ask the instructor or the blue belts to work with you on them/show them.

Well although I do enjoy the classes, the one thing I do not like is that it seems to be a rolling admission to the classes, so that just because it's my first day doesn't mean we'll be covering basic things. I'm still getting used to the school so perhaps there are options for learning the basics and I just haven't taken advantage of them. The first day we did do guard escapes, and on the second we did the forward/backward rolls which I suppose could sort of be considered an escape method. I just feel like I don't know how to move, I just do everything I can to get away from submissions and pins and whatnot, but I feel like there is a 'proper' way to do it (like you were saying) and I am definitely not doing things properly.

Put this search string in google (without quotes):

"mount escape site:youtube.com"

the first 3 results will be all you need for oh, probably 5-10 years or so...

also ask questions to the senior belts after you roll with them.

One of the escapes in Eddie Bravo's book works for me 100% of the time. I'm serious.

What you do is slightly turn onto your side and plant your far side foot on the outside of your opponent's leg on the side that you are turned on. With the arm closest to the mat, push your opponents leg back as you then drag with your planted foot your opponent's ankle. While doing this, sweep your leg(the one lying on the ground) across your dragging foot in a scissor type motion which brings your opponent's leg into your half guard. While doing this, be careful to keep your arm closest to your opponent tight to avoid an arm bar or arm triangle.

Mount is goddamned easy to get to if you're wrestling a newb.

Just keep going until you aren't a newb. :)

Well although I do enjoy the classes, the one thing I do not like is that it seems to be a rolling admission to the classes, so that just because it's my first day doesn't mean we'll be covering basic things. I'm still getting used to the school so perhaps there are options for learning the basics and I just haven't taken advantage of them. The first day we did do guard escapes, and on the second we did the forward/backward rolls which I suppose could sort of be considered an escape method. I just feel like I don't know how to move, I just do everything I can to get away from submissions and pins and whatnot, but I feel like there is a 'proper' way to do it (like you were saying) and I am definitely not doing things properly.

Well that's just the way it is. Just about everyone SUCKS at first and I mean hard and you can't be expected to know the proper way to do things, just try different things, ask questions, and be patient, after a while you'll be doing it without thinking.

learn to elbow escape and recompose guard. when in doubt...shrimp!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qpw7pga7Ixg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qpw7pga7Ixg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't know much but attempting to sweep him would be your best bet. In order to sweep him, you'll have to bring your legs in(basically touch your heels to your butt) and buck up. If he has a high mount, you could try pushing off of his knees with your elbows to create a better postion for yourself. If you were looking to buck off to the left of you, you would trap his right leg with your left leg by placing it out side of his. You would buck up while at the same time trapping his right arm with your left arm and throwing your right arm over him. Basically trying to use momentum and leverage to get him to roll over. All of this needs to be done quickly or else he'll feel it coming and counter it. BJ PENN has a good tutorial on his web site that I remember seeing a while back.

Seriously dude, I could TELL you what I'm going to do to you and you wouldn't be able to stop me since you're so new to grappling.

You are going to get pwned in class over and over and over and over again for probably a long, long time.

You want to learn to get out of mount? Every beginner should start with the very basics: upa and elbow escape. That's about all you need to know at first.

Shit it takes most new guys a good while just to really figure out what's going on with the elbow escape and people on here are telling this guy to do sweeps and some Eddie Bravo shit?

Just learn the upa and the elbow escape and get that down pat. Go to class and learn. You shouldn't even be bothering with looking stuff up on-line with your experience level before you get some solid fundamentals down.

Seriously dude, I could TELL you what I'm going to do to you and you wouldn't be able to stop me since you're so new to grappling.

You are going to get pwned in class over and over and over and over again for probably a long, long time.

You want to learn to get out of mount? Every beginner should start with the very basics: upa and elbow escape. That's about all you need to know at first.

Shit it takes most new guys a good while just to really figure out what's going on with the elbow escape and people on here are telling this guy to do sweeps and some Eddie Bravo shit?

Just learn the upa and the elbow escape and get that down pat. Go to class and learn. You shouldn't even be bothering with looking stuff up on-line with your experience level before you get some solid fundamentals down.

^^^ is correct. You have to learn to feel the guy's balance and weight. You do that by getting mounted early and often then fighting to escape the mount. Eventually, you will be able to feel the right time to bridge or what escape fits what situation.

people on here are telling this guy to do sweeps and some Eddie Bravo shit?

Just learn the upa and the elbow escape and get that down pat.

Not to nitpick but wasnt that "eddie bravo shit" just basically the elbow escape?

it all comes with time man, which u dont have yet, its takes a long long time man. little by little you will see it come along and u will see things coming together. be patient. it takes alot of time. you will have good and bad days. but you will improve.

Back