im happy about the weight cutting ban after what my friend told me

So I work with this guy who used to wrestle in college. He's a big MMA fan so we always talk about the fights.

We recently were talking about the weight cut ban in California and he started telling me about some of the weird things him and his team mates would do to make weight. Here are a few things I remember.

1)He says he would walk around all day with an empty water jug so he could spit into it. He said some of his professors and classmates were grossed out and made him not do it while in their class.

2)He claims that when he could no longer get water out of his body, he would take a liquid laxative to squeeze the last bit of junk that was in his guts. He says that feces from a dehydrated person has a weird color to it, almost looks like a black diamond.

3)He told me that one guy in particular would often give blood for money to get the weight off. He says he went with the guy once to donate blood but never again because it made him weaker than usual. He says the only other time he gave blood for money was not to make weight but to save up to fix the transmission in his car.

4)He said that one year he was roomed with a teammate and they would put repulsive things in the kitchen to avoid eating things out of the fridge and cabinet. his friend had a cat against dorm policy so they would put the litter boxes in the kitchen along with their wrestling/training equipment. He said that even when the wrestling season was over and they no longer tried to besmirch the kitchen with odors, the smells still lingered.

5)According to him, a common practice for all members of the team was to use a nail file to file away dead skin from the bottom of their feet. He said this was usually done at the the same time as other petty measures were taken to shed every last ounce, like shaving pubic hairs and eyebrows.

6)And finally, the most interesting thing he told me was how the guys didn't understand how dangerous some of the things they were doing were. For example, when certain guys would go unconscious from being in the sauna to long the others would call it "falling asleep" as if the guy in question was being lazy. The words "Unconscious" or "faint" were never used to describe the guys who would suddenly pass out in the middle of their marathon sauna sessions.

All in all my friend says its a good thing that weight cutting will become lest common now that athletic commissions are looking to due away with it.
Didn't happen, You don't have any friends.

The only thing he said that was legit was the spitting things. I have never heard of a wrestler doing any of those other things to make weight.

Cody McKensie gave blood to make weight, once. A few fighters have shaved their head to try and make weight. Kinda like the smelly kitchen story but some people brush their teeth when they're hungry so the if they eat food it will taste shit and put them off of eating.

I've been hanging out with a friend of the guy who died in November before the ONE FC fight... Saw the medical notes and everything - it actually really scared me to read...

The guy started cutting before he even got on the plane to the Philippines, and alternated between the sauna and sitting in the sunshine... At one point his coach spoke to him and he didn't respond... When they got him in the ambulance and took his temperature he was over 47 degrees centigrade - at that point the brain will never be the same upon revival, but they couldn't bring it down, even with an ice bath and 5 cold iv's.

Was a good guy by all accounts... The coach is experiencing some problems, and tightly so in my opinion... Dude was going abroad to get into a fist fight, not a war... No reason at all he should come home in a body bag.

I don't like weight cutting... I especially don't like the HW limit... I remember when Rumble was at WW 3x the size of his opponents and gassing in seconds. The way he looked at weigh ins was not right.

MMA, it´s a helluva drug

Ben Saunders had some interesting points on the weight cutting issue as well in his thread... I actually think it would be awesome for everyone to have more divisions as well. More champs, more money, and so on. Plus it wouldn't matter so much that champs take loads of time out between fights.

I think the IV ban is definitely causing a bit of concerns. with lack of re-hydration, and above all the possible lack of fluid surrounding the brain, allowing for more probable concussion damage to the brain. That concerns me. But I don't have an answer or knowledge of how to fix it. Maybe find another test for EPO. Maybe take our blood to test before giving us the IV themselves, maybe take a stance like ONE FC and take away weight cutting, and force everyone to move to the natural weight. But above all I would think the weight jumps of 155 to 170 to 185 are 15 pound differences as opposed to 125, 135, 145 to 155. Only being 10 pounds. i think 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 225, 265 would work out great. But it is more divisions, but the sport needs to keep evolving.

Scoring and judging too.

Sweet, I'm going to sell some black diamonds to the local jewelers next week.

I bet he showed you some of those techniques. How smooth are his balls now?

Im really interested to see how the 185 division is landscaped now.Mousasi recently said that Jacare was ,physically, stronger than any opponent hes faced----this includes his 205 fights and his open weight fights.If Romero, Jacare and Vitor do things the way they have to then Gegard might find himself in the top 3-4 and Bisping ,maybe, top 5(maybe)

Weight cutting supporters are idiots. I keep saying this since forever. I still think so.

They should've had all their teeth extracted and cut their penis shaft off.

In addition to running in steaming shower rooms, and wearing garbage bags underneath a sweat suit all practice, I also used laxatives in high school wrestling. Shit fucked up my digestion for years afterwards.

Thing is, I never wrestled higher than 119lbs, and even though I never had to cut more than 3-4 pounds at the most, cutting that weight was killer.

I learned all about weight cutting from "vision quest"

High school wrestlers are never taught the proper way to cut weight. There is a science to it, it's not just as simple as sitting in a sauna or going for runs in a sweatsuit.

What needs to happen is that wrestlers need to be taught the scientific, correct way to cut weight. Similar to how George Lockhart does it.

Helps you realize how pathetic you are to go through all that just to fight a smaller person.

I've only seen - sweating the weight off, spitting in a cup. I've heard of using laxatives. And I remember one dude forced himself to shit to try and get that last little bit, it was kind of funny.

Back