I'm going to Seoul. BJJ schools/ bjj in different language

Ton

The master of Potato Plata
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm going to be traveling to Seoul / Korea to visit my dad who's stationed there and I'm looking to do some BJJ while I'm there (maybe a class or 2 since I'm only there for a week)

I was wondering if any of you knew any good schools there! There are no CT schools from my Google searches (which is my affiliation) but it looks like there is a 10th planet location I could visit.

My main concern is rolling or training with someone that does not speak English. I'm sure it will be fine and bjj is a universal language. But I was wondering if any of you had such an experiance and how it worked for you.

And help or tips would be great!

UPDATE!

Well, i got back to US and promptly messed up my rib, so i'm sitting here updating this thread wishing i was training instead lol

I had an awesome experience in Korea, and bringing my GI and training there was probably the best part, as mentioned previously i have not trained in another country before, so i had no idea what was coming, which is what made it so exciting.

I took advice here and Went to John Frankl's school (Itaewon BJJ) twice during my stay. The school was fairly small and was just a room in a big building. When i first got there, the doors were open, the lights were off and some Korean dude was just taking a big nap right on the mat. The owner, DK (a brown belt), showed up soon after (he spoke English pretty well!, so there was not much of a communication barrier). I asked about mat fee (which was 20,000 won, or 20 bucks) and after a brief conversation about my experience level the class started.

The curriculum, and the whole class really, was very similar to class structure in US. We warmed up, drilled some sweeps from butterfly and started open mat. I got some technical rolls in. It was new school, so i definitely wasn't going to tryhard. Plus jet lag was a real killer the first time i went, the second time i felt a little more like myself and got some subs in. I got subbed as well, twice, by DK. Over all everyone was really technical and absolutely worthy of their belt levels (there was a broad spectrum of colored belts there, excluding black belts, as the school is fairly new).

After the class i found out it was DK's birthday, they brought out a cake and gave everyone spoons and we sat in the middle of the mat picking at the cake. the experience was very communal as opposed to little slices and individual plates we are used to here.

Probably the best feeling was walking from the gym back to the apartment, it was late at night and Itaewon is a big party place with a lot of nightlife. It was interesting seeing everyone party it up while i was tired from training, still riding the high i got from exercise. I stopped by a few convenience stores on the way back (7-11's are EVERYWHERE) for a Gatorade/coconut water, and took the subway back. The public transport there is excellent and the taxis are very affordable as well. I was not used to spending 30 minutes commuting to the gym and back using public transport. Somehow it was not tedious, but added to the experience.

Of course i have pictures!

10pwSROb.jpg

10pC8MCg.jpg

P.S. sorry for my amateur story telling skills, I haven't written anything extensive in about... 7 years LOL

Everyone speaks English there

Excellent reporting and pictures dude! Looks like you had a damn good time. Awesome stuff.

Everyone speaks English there

Well then. Awesome! Are there generally mat fees? From what I hear everything is expensive, would that also translate to BJJ ?

EDIT: update below +pics!

Hi guys! I'm going to be traveling to Seoul / Korea to visit my dad who's stationed there and I'm looking to do some BJJ while I'm there (maybe a class or 2 since I'm only there for a week)

I was wondering if any of you knew any good schools there! There are no CT schools from my Google searches (which is my affiliation) but it looks like there is a 10th planet location I could visit.

My main concern is rolling or training with someone that does not speak English. I'm sure it will be fine and bjj is a universal language. But I was wondering if any of you had such an experiance and how it worked for you.

And help or tips would be great!

Do you train under Jay Pages?

Excellent reporting and pictures dude! Looks like you had a damn good time. Awesome stuff.

Thanks! It was definitely an awesome experience.

Do you train under Jay Pages?

I do! Awesome school, are you there as well? And how the hell did you know, lol.

Well then. Awesome! Are there generally mat fees? From what I hear everything is expensive, would that also translate to BJJ ?

I would not say it's true that everyone speaks English here, but if you go to John Frankl's place, you'll be fine. My instructor speaks a tiny bit here and there, but honestly, I just listen to the Korean, watch him intently and pick things up that way.

Prices in Seoul are around 130,000won a month, but you can probably work something out with the instructor for a drop-in.

Bro...how in the hell did you handle the kimche breath smell when rolling? that shit use to kill me when we did long "fun runs" with katusa's at camp casey.

Where is your dad stationed? If you'll be in Seoul, there is a BJJ Academy on Yongsan Army Base that is taught by Kris Kim, BJJ Black Belt.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/kriskimbjj/

If you'll be on Osan Air Base there is a Brown Belt that teaches there, but they frequently travel to Yongsan to train.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OsanBJJ/

Once you figure out the base, I can put you in touch with someone that trains at most of the bases.

I'm not sure where he's stationed exactly. I'll check. Thanks for the replies!

Back