"I'm going to lose a lot of money" - Greg Jackson on the Reebok deal

Coffee79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Definitely it's not good for the coaches, but it's not about the coaches. It's about the fighters at the end of the day," Jackson told Sherdog.com. "The coaches are here for support. Myself and some of the other ones that have been sponsored, I'm sure we're gonna lose that unless they want to stick with us outside the events."

Jackson was clearly disappointed with the situation. Nonetheless, he was adamant that the deal was about the fighters and their overall welfare.

"There's only five or ten of us that get sponsored. There's how many fighters in the UFC? That, I think, is a much bigger deal," he said. "Yeah for me [losing sponsors] is a big deal. I'm gonna lose a lot of money, but it's not about me."

For Jackson, the consequences of the deal are easier to swallow since the sponsorship value is in the fighters, not the few notable coaches in the industry.

"As much I would love to be self-centered and think the world revolves around me, it doesn't. If I quit MMA tomorrow, literally nobody would care. The fighters matter. They're the ones seriously putting their ass on the line. As long as it's good for them, I will be good with it."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/...ok-deal-Im-gonna-lose-a-lot-of-money-mma-news

My take - props to Jackson for putting fighters before himself. Too bad Dana and Zuffa can't do the same. There are just too many fighters upset over their low earnings and the Reebok deal to be dismissed as whining. I feel there is a systemic abuse of fighters on behalf of Zuffa/UFC which has made them a deserved target of criticism.

He's gonna lose alot of money on Sat when his #1 cash cow loses his belt.

Greg Jackson is right, a few get paid and alot get screwed, thanks alot Dana White you really fucked everybody this time baldie

I keep forgetting how much the UFC has a responsibility to make certain that coaches like Jackson get paid well...

"Definitely it's not good for the coaches, but it's not about the coaches. It's about the fighters at the end of the day," Jackson told Sherdog.com. "The coaches are here for support. Myself and some of the other ones that have been sponsored, I'm sure we're gonna lose that unless they want to stick with us outside the events."

Jackson was clearly disappointed with the situation. Nonetheless, he was adamant that the deal was about the fighters and their overall welfare.

"There's only five or ten of us that get sponsored. There's how many fighters in the UFC? That, I think, is a much bigger deal," he said. "Yeah for me [losing sponsors] is a big deal. I'm gonna lose a lot of money, but it's not about me."

For Jackson, the consequences of the deal are easier to swallow since the sponsorship value is in the fighters, not the few notable coaches in the industry.

"As much I would love to be self-centered and think the world revolves around me, it doesn't. If I quit MMA tomorrow, literally nobody would care. The fighters matter. They're the ones seriously putting their ass on the line. As long as it's good for them, I will be good with it."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/...ok-deal-Im-gonna-lose-a-lot-of-money-mma-news

My take - props to Jackson for putting fighters before himself. Too bad Dana and Zuffa can't do the same. There are just too many fighters upset over their low earnings and the Reebok deal to be dismissed as whining. I feel there is a systemic abuse of fighters on behalf of Zuffa/UFC which has made them a deserved target of criticism.

so, greg being ok with the reebok deal is jackson putting fighters before himself

but the UFC making this same fucking reebok deal from the previous sentence is zuffa not putting the fighters first????

are you for fucking real with this shit?

Greg Jackson be like
9a6.jpg

Thug Life.

Jackson knows what's up. This only means, His fighters will fight not to lose....and maintain status.

Yeah. Date increase in fighter tax in Jacksons MMA

It's sad. They need to make a living too.
Mma isn't going to progress like we want it to if there's less money for the coaches.

Not hating the playa but the game.

Very much agree. The game has ruined the distribution of wealth in this country. Margins and Cost of living get higher, wages get lower. Rich get richer while the separation between the rich and poor have never been so far apart.

We live in a sad fucking world.

Will be interesting to see how the fighters react once this deal is in place. Seems kind of funny nobody seems to know what they are gonna get from this after its already a done deal

Very much agree. The game has ruined the distribution of wealth in this country. Margins and Cost of living get higher, wages get lower. Rich get richer while the separation between the rich and poor have never been so far apart.

We live in a sad fucking world.

True, but we can find comfort in that nothing remains forever. Especially unsustainable,
corrupt system that favours few.

Of course we won't be upset when Jackson is gone. He screwed over Diego and then Rashad. (Then tried to change only because of the more public backlash over Rashad.)

He managed to turn Clay Guida into a boring fighter. He tried to take credit for GSP's wins. (Though Faras didn't play along. Lol.)

I could go on, but I think I made my point.

Why are people reacting like, "too bad, I don't feel sorry for you Jackson."

He is simply stating that this is costing him money. He even says it's more about the fighters than it is about him. Someone came up and probably asked him how the Reebok deal is affecting him and he's just saying what's up.

This does suck for him. Coaches need a way to get paid. Most of their fighters can't afford to pay them much, and the job requires constant travel to go corner your fighters. But he's got a gym and can probably do seminars/speaking engagements too. He'll be fine.

Back