I'm excited for JDS vs Cain III but..

Oblivious2you

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Do you feel it is too early for them to fight for the third time? I don't think UFC wants to risk one of them losing and losing a big money fight so they match them up after a KO of hunt and KO of bigfoot. Though, I think that given a bit more time it could have been even bigger.

Do you feel the time between the second and third fight benefits Cain or Junior more? We obviously saw the holes in Juniors game in the second fight. Do you think he will be able to fix all of those holes in the time he has/had or will he be swinging for a big shot again?

Discuss.

Shit, the UFC HW division is so shallow that Cain's last 4 fights have been the same 2 people.

It is early. But what do you do.

It's too late for this thread bro. The hype machine is rolling and my body is ready

Oh, you're right. We should cancel UFC 166. Oh, wait: It's a moot point because it's happening! ;p

As to whether it will benefit one or the other... I don't think it really matters that much. The second fight could easily have gone differently. The third fight could be a repeat of either of the prior match ups, and based on the skills JDS already had before he ever fought Cain, a full training camp sans injuries is enough to prepare a good game plan to beat Cain for the second time.

Do you feel it is too early for them to fight for the third time? I don't think UFC wants to risk one of them losing and losing a big money fight so they match them up after a KO of hunt and KO of bigfoot. Though, I think that given a bit more time it could have been even bigger.

Do you feel the time between the second and third fight benefits Cain or Junior more? We obviously saw the holes in Juniors game in the second fight. Do you think he will be able to fix all of those holes in the time he has/had or will he be swinging for a big shot again?

Discuss.

I think UFC is screwing what could be a Great rivalry by awarding fast rematches.

both guys are young, and I would really like to see them raise their values by fighting different people.

One fight and rematch it's just... forced.

They will end up fighting 5-6 times before their careers end - this is not too early at all

Its definitely early but like you said...we don't want to mess around and one of them loses and then the fight is never the same.

So I guess it depends on much you are willing to risk it. There are countless examples of the UFC trying to build fighters or matches up and it blowing up in their faces. Recently we had Bigfoot and the NSAC ruining JDS-Alistair and Condit taking all the steam out of Diaz/GSP. I remember way back when Mirko came over I wanted to see Mirko/Sylvia asap but the UFC insisted on building Mirko up and we saw what happened. They were never able to capitalize on him and we missed out on a UFC-Pride dream fight.

They will end up fighting 5-6 times before their careers end - this is not too early at all

I agree, or probably 4-5 times. 6 would be kinda crazy. It's interesting that Cain says he feels like they will never fight again because he will win, but JDS thinks that they will both fight again no matter what the outcome is. I'm hoping JDS both wins and is right about that.

I'm with you TS. I'm not that excited about the fight. Everyone says "they might fight 5 times by the end of their career" well I disagree. I think it's likely that one or both of them has an early-burn-early-fizzle career. And Cain just whooped that ass badly. The fact that they're now 1-1 doesn't suddenly make this fight interesting. Just like Cain vs Bigfoot 2 was ridiculously uninteresting. At least this isn't as bad as that was.

They will have the fourth match before the end of 2015 most likely, these guys will easily fight until 2018-2022.

I expect 5-6 matches at least unless Junior finishes Cain again, and in the fourth match....

But, if the fights continue to look like the last one with a little bit more competition - 5 round rematches will continue to happen once every year or two for the next 6 years

Who would they fight? JDS already fought most of the division, Cain as well.

There is no time table or amount of times fighters can fight.

It's all made up bullshit that goes off of an imaginary made up "feel" of what is acceptable.

JDS and Cain can fight 20 times if nobody else is good enough to challenge them.

nothigns ever too early. i just want them to get it over wiht so we can omve on and see new fihgts like cain and jds vs barnett, overem, werdum, etc. fights we havn't seen yet.

I think UFC is screwing what could be a Great rivalry by awarding fast rematches.

both guys are young, and I would really like to see them raise their values by fighting different people.

One fight and rematch it's just... forced.

Well, I tend to agree with this and its my opinion that we are losing out on what could be a great MMA rivalry due to UFC wanting to cash in quickly versus risking losing money.

On the countdown show they were comparing this to Ali vs Frazier and it bares little comparison on the sizing of that trilogy. Ali vs Frazier I was in 71 and Ali didn't get his rematch until 74. While I understand that no one wants to wait that long and the heavyweight division is extremely shallow.

I just think that despite the risks.. This fight doesn't feel as important as it should.

over the last decade there have been quite a few times where people said "these two guys could end up fighting 5 or 6 times cause they're clearly the top 2 guys"

people said it about gsp and hughes, people said it about anderson and rich franklin.

people said it about lyoto and shogun. People even said it about Lesnar and Carwin for a brief moment.

but Cain vs JDS is the one above all that I can really see. Because these guys are simply both winners. These guys haven't even come close to losing to ANYONE ELSE. They only lose to each other.

So unless they just cut the loser so he can't make contenders look bad, the loser of this match is more than likely going to rack up 2 or 3 wins in a row against top guys and it's going to get to a point where it will feel stupid for them NOT to fight again. And if the guy who loses saturday's matches, wins that future hypothetical match, that would set up a 5th one almost instantly.

In short, I can easily see these two fighting 5 times.

I don't see the outcome of this fight being any different than their last fight. Unless JDS get's really lucky , Cain will take him down and ragdoll him again..

I love it.

To see the definite 2 best fighters in a division fight each other.....I would watch it again and again and again and again.

I don't think a lot of people realise how rare it actually is to see the 2 undeniable best guys fight each other.

I love it.

To see the definite 2 best fighters in a division fight each other.....I would watch it again and again and again and again.

I don't think a lot of people realise how rare it actually is to see the 2 undeniable best guys fight each other.

Exactly this^.

I love it.

And even more rare is for it to turn out to be a trilogy.

I'm with you TS. I'm not that excited about the fight. Everyone says "they might fight 5 times by the end of their career" well I disagree. I think it's likely that one or both of them has an early-burn-early-fizzle career. And Cain just whooped that ass badly. The fact that they're now 1-1 doesn't suddenly make this fight interesting. Just like Cain vs Bigfoot 2 was ridiculously uninteresting. At least this isn't as bad as that was.

That's completely different. Cain outclassed BF the first time, and BF didn't have a win against Cain. Also, BF didn't look good against Overreem until he gassed. BF is slow and his top gain is his main weapon (something that is pretty much useless against Cain).

Back