I'm Disgusted! Stephen A. Smith Rant 'Kicks Cerrone in the Head'

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ReadWrite, Jan 19, 2020.

?

"Cerrone was not mentally prepared"

1. I agree

65.9%
  2. I disagree

34.1%
  1. ReadWrite Banned Banned

“I’m quite disgusted!” Smith said. “Let me be very, very clear: I’m honored to be up here with you guys. I’m a spectator watching the sport. I expected to see more than 40 seconds. I predicted McGregor was going to win this fight inside of two rounds. I thought he would take him out.

[​IMG]

“Here’s the deal: 15 seconds in, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone was done. He got hit with those shoulders in the clinch, and he was done. It looked like he gave up. It was just an atrocious performance on his part.

[​IMG]

“You know the difference between a fighter that’s calm, cool, collected, and ready for the pressure, and it’s out-weighed by somebody that’s clearly in over their head. When you look at ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone, that was not a guy that was prepared to fight tonight. We knew Conor was going to be prepared.

“We knew Conor was going to be ready. We wondered whether or not he would take him out early. Obviously as the fight goes on, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone is the bigger, stronger guy – supposedly. For him . . . to be hurt in 15 seconds . . . get away from the clinch . . . and still just let Conor right back at him?! Come on! You’re smarter than that, except for tonight!”

[​IMG]

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/ufc-246-stephen-a-smith-calls-donald-cerrone-performance-atrocious

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

I don’t think Donald took a dive, but they paired him up with a guy that is on a 2 fight loss streak and struggled with elite competition. If they wanted a war they should have booked Justin

3. Nameless King Blue Belt

4. Lovelyboy Banned Banned

Cowboy let Conor win. Dirty Dana strikes again.

5. S-dot Brown Belt

Those are some strong words from a guy who doesn’t understand mma to say about a legend of the sport. I think he should try and last 40 seconds with cerrone.

6. Bu11etproof_JBE Banned Banned

In the 15+ years that I've been following MMA, I've seen maybe 3 fights that looked very shady to me. One that pops in my head right away is Ken Shamrock vs Kimbo Slice.

This one is right up there.

7. Nandez Blue Belt

For the love of God, don’t bring Stephen A Smith into this forum.

He knows diddly squat about MMA and never even mentioned MMA until the ESPN deal.

He’s got such a punchable face

8. Grit From Russia with love Banned

Only casuals think that this fight was fixed.

Every person who watched Cowboy during those years know that he gives up too easily.

After that head kick he was still in the fight but he quit as usual.

Even McProper said it in that Aldo press conference.

9. AZ103 Brown Belt

Hes not wrong. Cowboy ducked a punch, ate a beautiful follow up knee from conor that stunned him, and then... proceeded to do nothing as conor unleashed on him until the fight was over. It did indeed look like he didnt come ready to fight back

10. Smato_rules Blue Belt

Fuck that guy he’s a disgrace. Cowboy is a slow starter, always fucks up in big fights, and hasn’t looked to good recently. The result isn’t shocking but it’s not because cowboy wasn’t prepared

11. Goatenstein Yellow Card Yellow Card

Donald was looking for a cue to dive and Conor hit him with a cheap shot.

12. mommas homeboy cautiously optimistic

It’s not about mental preparation. Cowboy just isn’t a very good fighter, especially at this stage in his career. It’s really that simple.

13. khabib time Banned Banned

Cerrone was ready............to pick up the paycheck. He's 4-7 in his last 11, with 5 TKO losses. The only one of the TKO losses he was semi-competitive was in the El Cucuy fight and even that might be debatable.

14. spacetime Banned Banned

Lol thinking he was in the fight after the head kick. Just because he's standing doesn’t mean he's not done

15. GoshiShun17 Red Belt

Pathetic sherdoggers should be HONORED to have a real sports commentator covering our sport with a legendary history like Stephen A. Most of you peasants aren't even worthy.

With that said this is probably the first time I've seen Smith so on point when it comes to MMA. It would be great to have him cover regularly.

16. Bitchka Blue Belt

...this statement is a case in point, weeds makes you dumb

upload_2020-1-19_6-0-27.jpeg

17. aldeniro78 Who cares

It's all about mental preparation with Cerrone. He quit immediately.

18. spacetime Banned Banned

He's right

19. Mr Moist Purple Belt

If Stephen and the rest of the casuals on ESPN bothered to follow the sport outside of its few stars, then maybe he wouldn’t of been so surprised with the result. I think everyone gets disappointed when a hyped fight ends quick, and is the reason that even mma fans are being silly and calling the fight a fix. We even seen this behavior from the UFC’s own president numerous times, like when he bashed Cain right after the The 30 second JDS fight for not going for takedowns, so we can’t be too hard on a novice mma reporter. But this is one of the reasons I like mma, a fight can end quick at any time.

20. TheChance Red Belt

You should be banned for posting something that halfwit said