I'm Disgusted! Stephen A. Smith Rant 'Kicks Cerrone in the Head'

"Cerrone was not mentally prepared"

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“I’m quite disgusted!” Smith said. “Let me be very, very clear: I’m honored to be up here with you guys. I’m a spectator watching the sport. I expected to see more than 40 seconds. I predicted McGregor was going to win this fight inside of two rounds. I thought he would take him out.

2d16c11a-d6ec-11e4-b319-12771640ddce.gif

“Here’s the deal: 15 seconds in, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone was done. He got hit with those shoulders in the clinch, and he was done. It looked like he gave up. It was just an atrocious performance on his part.

source.gif

“You know the difference between a fighter that’s calm, cool, collected, and ready for the pressure, and it’s out-weighed by somebody that’s clearly in over their head. When you look at ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone, that was not a guy that was prepared to fight tonight. We knew Conor was going to be prepared.

“We knew Conor was going to be ready. We wondered whether or not he would take him out early. Obviously as the fight goes on, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone is the bigger, stronger guy – supposedly. For him . . . to be hurt in 15 seconds . . . get away from the clinch . . . and still just let Conor right back at him?! Come on! You’re smarter than that, except for tonight!”

giphy.gif

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/ufc-246-stephen-a-smith-calls-donald-cerrone-performance-atrocious

Last edited:
“I’m quite disgusted!” Smith said. “Let me be very, very clear: I’m honored to be up here with you guys. I’m a spectator watching the sport. I expected to see more than 40 seconds. I predicted McGregor was going to win this fight inside of two rounds. I thought he would take him out.

“Here’s the deal: 15 seconds in, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone was done. He got hit with those shoulders in the clinch, and he was done. It looked like he gave up. It was just an atrocious performance on his part.”

“You know the difference between a fighter that’s calm, cool, collected, and ready for the pressure, and it’s out-weighed by somebody that’s clearly in over their head. When you look at ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone, that was not a guy that was prepared to fight tonight. We knew Conor was going to be prepared.

“We knew Conor was going to be ready. We wondered whether or not he would take him out early. Obviously as the fight goes on, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone is the bigger, stronger guy – supposedly. For him to be hurt in 15 seconds, get away from the clinch, and still just let Conor right back at him? Come on! You’re smarter than that, except for tonight!”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/ufc-246-stephen-a-smith-calls-donald-cerrone-performance-atrocious
I don’t think Donald took a dive, but they paired him up with a guy that is on a 2 fight loss streak and struggled with elite competition. If they wanted a war they should have booked Justin

Last edited:
Those are some strong words from a guy who doesn’t understand mma to say about a legend of the sport. I think he should try and last 40 seconds with cerrone.

In the 15+ years that I've been following MMA, I've seen maybe 3 fights that looked very shady to me. One that pops in my head right away is Ken Shamrock vs Kimbo Slice.

This one is right up there.

For the love of God, don’t bring Stephen A Smith into this forum.

He knows diddly squat about MMA and never even mentioned MMA until the ESPN deal.

He’s got such a punchable face

Only casuals think that this fight was fixed.

Every person who watched Cowboy during those years know that he gives up too easily.

After that head kick he was still in the fight but he quit as usual.

Even McProper said it in that Aldo press conference.

Hes not wrong. Cowboy ducked a punch, ate a beautiful follow up knee from conor that stunned him, and then... proceeded to do nothing as conor unleashed on him until the fight was over. It did indeed look like he didnt come ready to fight back

Fuck that guy he’s a disgrace. Cowboy is a slow starter, always fucks up in big fights, and hasn’t looked to good recently. The result isn’t shocking but it’s not because cowboy wasn’t prepared

Donald was looking for a cue to dive and Conor hit him with a cheap shot.

“Here’s the deal: 15 seconds in, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone was done. He got hit with those shoulders in the clinch, and he was done. It looked like he gave up. It was just an atrocious performance on his part.

“We knew Conor was going to be ready. We wondered whether or not he would take him out early. Obviously as the fight goes on, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone is the bigger, stronger guy – supposedly. For him . . . to be hurt in 15 seconds . . . get away from the clinch . . . and still just let Conor right back at him?! Come on! You’re smarter than that, except for tonight!”

It’s not about mental preparation. Cowboy just isn’t a very good fighter, especially at this stage in his career. It’s really that simple.

Cerrone was ready............to pick up the paycheck. He's 4-7 in his last 11, with 5 TKO losses. The only one of the TKO losses he was semi-competitive was in the El Cucuy fight and even that might be debatable.

Only casuals think that this fight was fixed.

Every person who watched Cowboy during those years know that he gives up too easily.

After that head kick he was still in the fight but he quit as usual.

Even McProper said it in that Aldo press conference.

Lol thinking he was in the fight after the head kick. Just because he's standing doesn’t mean he's not done

Pathetic sherdoggers should be HONORED to have a real sports commentator covering our sport with a legendary history like Stephen A. Most of you peasants aren't even worthy.

With that said this is probably the first time I've seen Smith so on point when it comes to MMA. It would be great to have him cover regularly.

Last edited:
I don’t think Donald took a dive, but they paired him up with a guy that is on a 2 fight streak and struggled with elite competition. If they wanted a war they should have booked Justin

...this statement is a case in point, weeds makes you dumb

upload_2020-1-19_6-0-27.jpeg

It’s not about mental preparation. Cowboy just isn’t a very good fighter, especially at this stage in his career. It’s really that simple.
It's all about mental preparation with Cerrone. He quit immediately.

2d16c11a-d6ec-11e4-b319-12771640ddce.gif

He's right

If Stephen and the rest of the casuals on ESPN bothered to follow the sport outside of its few stars, then maybe he wouldn’t of been so surprised with the result. I think everyone gets disappointed when a hyped fight ends quick, and is the reason that even mma fans are being silly and calling the fight a fix. We even seen this behavior from the UFC’s own president numerous times, like when he bashed Cain right after the The 30 second JDS fight for not going for takedowns, so we can’t be too hard on a novice mma reporter. But this is one of the reasons I like mma, a fight can end quick at any time.

You should be banned for posting something that halfwit said

Back