I'm cool with RDA losing his belt over this.

arkansas-fan-gives-the-double-bird-during-game-against-cal1.gif

I wish Conor vs Cerrone for the interim belt,then Conor vs lawler at 200.Then he should fight a 145 before even thinking about rda at 55..plus if he wins at 170 why even go back to 55 , he would already have a belt a that weight...3 belt and no red panty night for rda..rda doesnt deserve the GOAT

an interim title is not warranted .
Let us see if he can defend his belt before getting too crazy.

He defended his belt 2 months ago. We finally have almost every belt with a sound lineage and you want to fuck that up.

A contact sport like this is rife with injuries....it's unavoidable. You may have a case for chronic injuries , but one off and you can piss off with that.

When's the last time you called in sick to your bum job? We're you Demoted and/or shit canned?
While I completely agree with your first sentence, calling in sick is slightly different when you only work three days a year.

Then how do you explain Anderson Silva, for example, a champion with many title defenses yet never an injury leading up to a fight?

Yeah bruv, gee whiz, how can one explain ANDERSON SILVA of all people being intensely resistant to injuries? It's almost like there's something peculiar about his training regimen, huh?

Strip - na - way too harsh but I am warming to the idea of "immediate interm" - that way we have a clear next in line. That interm would move with the challenger or his challengers if he too falls out. :oops:

Then how do you explain Anderson Silva, for example, a champion with many title defenses yet never an injury leading up to a fight?

The fact is, the vast majority of UFC champions do NOT get injured leading up to title defenses. Time to hold all champions to that skill caliber, because as I said, staying healthy is a skill in itself.

I explain that as individuals being individuals.

I used to run marathons. I never got hurt or had nagging injuries, where one of my good buddies/training partners ( who was/is an high 2:30s marathoner ...much faster than me) was always battling setbacks.

Do you think 100% of injuries are preventable? If so you obviously have no experience with higher level athletics.....I suspect you don't.

The fact is, the vast majority of UFC champions do NOT get injured leading up to title defenses.

Time to hold all champions to that skill caliber, because as I said, staying healthy is a skill in itself.

Silva also had never been tested before he failed.

These champions shouldn't be getting injured like this. It's mainly happening during sparring. Just off the top of my head we have RDA, Aldo, and Cain recently.

At this point I'd rather see a possible "under prepared" (in the sense that they didn't spar as much as normal) champion show up to the fight, than reoccurring injured champions throwing entire fight cards into disarray.

This is a fast moving, constantly evolving sport and guess what folks, staying healthy is the most under appreciated aspect of it, in fact it could be argued that staying healthy is a skill unto itself.

A champion that trains smart, rests well and stays healthy is of a higher skill caliber than one who gets injured. It's as simple as that.

Time for a new standard here, if you get injured as champ, you can kiss your belt goodbye until you adopt the proper training practices to stay healthy, because obviously that part of your game is still lacking and until it improves you're not champion caliber.
I don't think an injury alone is enough to strip someone of their belt, but maybe multiple injuries like Aldo or Cain.

All Champs should take a page out of Lawler's book. I don't think Lawler spars at all any more or only occasionally at most and he's always ready to go.

He just defended his title, so stripping him makes no sense. This is MMA, injuries while training are unavoidable. If RDA's recovery forces him to sit out for a year, then they should strip him.

While I think it's premature to do an interim belt in this case, I completely understand the sentiment. As a battery commander in the Army, I had to balance training with keeping soldiers healthy. Injured soldiers don't deploy, so if you train to hard and have a bunch of broke people, your training is self defeating. I see it the same way with fighting. You're training for combat, but at the end of the day, a healthy person is going to be more effective than a broke person. You have to tailor your training to ensure your health.

I'm cool with you losing your account over this dumb thread, too.

LOL, for sure. I can't even believe how many accounts started in 2015 that literally F'ing destroy this message board. The 2015 accounts that are McGregor fans make 20 threads a day about him and constantly spout ridiculous shit like this thread.

Lose the belt?
No way. Not without prior warning.

If they want to implement a rule like that in the future, fine. But you don't just spring that on a guy.

an interim title is not warranted .
Let us see if he can defend his belt before getting too crazy.
Conor can't make FW in 10 days

He has been training/dieting to make LW, this whole time, so making FW and defending his title is simply not on the cards.

Diaz/Cerrone for the interim belt makes sense.

didn't RDA finish his camp how the fuck did he injure himself???

I actually agree with the ability to train smart and not break yourself constantly being a fighting skill.

IMO, the fight officially starts when both parties agree and sign the contract. RDA hurt himself before a punch could even be thrown...and now hes not willing to fight. Conor wins.

While I completely agree with your first sentence, calling in sick is slightly different when you only work three days a year.

True , but ts isn't training to beat someone unconscious day in and day out. Tends to be taxing on the body. How many creampuffs on here hurt their wittle wotattor cuffs lifting weights at the YMCA every now and again and have to dial it back?

Living an active lifestyle, let alone one of a pro athlete is haaaaaard on the body. Anyone that doesn't get that is almost certainly not remotely an athlete.

I think there needs to be hard and fast rules set up.

I really don't mind a hard rule that says "if the UFC decides that a belt will be defended on a certain date and the champ signs on, if he can't make then an interim belt will be established no matter what the activity of the champion is otherwise".

Just establish it. At the very least it keeps things moving and gets more guys their chance.

I actually agree with the ability to train smart and not break yourself constantly being a fighting skill.

IMO, the fight officially starts when both parties agree and sign the contract. RDA hurt himself before a punch could even be thrown...and now hes not willing to fight. Conor wins.

What? You expect him to fight with a broken foot? The gdamn athletic commission would never allow it. Where the fuck do you people come from?

Back