I'm confused

Whatever helps you sleep at night, the fact still remains Cain completely dominated that fight.

Not to shit on your parade, but I recall Cain getting dropped 3 or 4 times that fight. Not exactly dominating regardless of what the scorecards say.

...as to why some believed JDS would be able to defeat elite strikers like Hunt or Overeem. Cheick Kongo, who once had totally dominated Cain in the standup, EASILY lost to the Samoan without posing a single threat from striking. A former K-1 champ made an experienced kickboxer look irrelevant. I imagine Overeem is around Hunt's level (and this isn't pre-07 Reem).

....so how does beating a bunch of guys lacking serious striking backgrounds, with the exception of an aged, battle-worn Crocop, legitimize JDS' standing as an elite striker.

DON'T GET ME WRONG....

I am not hating on JDS. He's an admirable character, and is a true force in UFC. He deserves to be fighting in the upper category of his division. However, I feel that many fans were a little overhyped about JDS' overall striking capability.

Look at the big picture kids. There is more to striking than UFC. Beating up wrestlers that can kick and punch doesn't make you a world class striker.

Hopefully Joe Rogan will also be a little more careful about who he calls a world class striker. :)

If we're lucky, JDS will improve and put up a better fight next time.

----- All this kind of proves that MMA is too deep for fans that don't train very seriously, unlike basketball, baseball, and other sports that can be understood just from watching -----

If Overeem was Gods gift to striking, why did he feel he had to CHEAT to be competitive?
It's just the facts man.
Honest question.

Did I mention he is a cheater?

Overeem and Hunt could be discredited as well. Think about what you're saying.

A few things to note. Overeem was dominating Shogun in both fights until he got caught. He has improved in striking far more than anyone in UFC has. The level he has attained is VERY high. Sure, Cain has improved much since the day he got taught a striking lesson by Cheick Kongo, but he is nowhere near as refined or experienced as the polished Reem of twenty-thirteen is. Mark Hunt made Cheick look worse than a sparring opponent, and that KO loss? Keep in mind that Melvin Mahoef is an extremely experienced high-level kickboxer who has put up hard fights against other elite kickboxers, despite size disadvantage, and is also heralded as both a hard-hitting kickboxer and the man with the highest MMA KO ratio.

Lol.

But for weeks ive been reading threads about how JDS is the Heavyweight GOAT?

This is why those of us who are Hunt fans would have liked to see him get a title shot while JDS had it.

Still, JDS proved tonight that he's got a legitimate chin, so a fight with Hunt may have went five rounds and JDS probably would have had the better cardio, so who knows how that would have turned out. Would have been miles better than JDS/Mir anyway.

i am pretty sure american football is more involved than MMA

if someone who played 1 position in footballl let alone someone who never played football at a high level quarterback or middle linebacker can get it i am pretty sure a hardcore MMA fan can get MMA

MMA and fighting goes way more than positions, strategy, and technicalities. There's a lot of psychology and abstract elements to it. You tell me what ball sports involve rhythm or pressuring the opponent with movement alone. Some of these things are difficult to pick up for the average "I want to watch an exciting sport" guy, and a lot of things end up being misunderstood or totally unseen.

Hopefully Joe Rogan will also be a little more careful about who he calls a world class striker. :)

Do you realize that it is Joe Rogan's job to bring the hype to every fight. That is part of what he gets paid well to do.

If Overeem was Gods gift to striking, why did he feel he had to CHEAT to be competitive?
It's just the facts man.
Honest question.

Did I mention he is a cheater?

Unfortunate reality, yes. However, roids won't add up to skill. Reem won't suddenly become a very precise, fluid striker with performance enhancing drugs. It's embarrassing that he used them to build his massive bulk, but his striking skill still stands as among the very best in MMA.

Because, he has the speed and power to knock them out.

if you actually watch fights and watch the technique jds employs, youll see his boxing always was nasty

Yah knockouts are always amazing. JDS has that knockout talent. Just watch what he did to struve it was brutal and quick. I won't deny that Reem is more talented in striking skills with kicking and clinch involved. but you can't deny JDS' ability to destroy guys (except for Nelson with they titanium chin and Cain tonight).

----- All this kind of proves that MMA is too deep for fans that don't train very seriously, unlike basketball, baseball, and other sports that can be understood just from watching -----

Your statement beams with empty confidence when you end it with essentially, "If you don't think I am right, I am smarter than you, so I am right even if you don't believe me."

Did I mention Reem is a cheater?
Also a douche.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douche

Hysterically accurate, too bad they don't shorten the page by putting this steroid guzzling guys face on there.

A few things to note. Overeem was dominating Shogun in both fights until he got caught. He has improved in striking far more than anyone in UFC has. The level he has attained is VERY high. Sure, Cain has improved much since the day he got taught a striking lesson by Cheick Kongo, but he is nowhere near as refined or experienced as the polished Reem of twenty-thirteen is. Mark Hunt made Cheick look worse than a sparring opponent, and that KO loss? Keep in mind that Melvin Mahoef is an extremely experienced high-level kickboxer who has put up hard fights against other elite kickboxers, despite size disadvantage, and is also heralded as both a hard-hitting kickboxer and the man with the highest MMA KO ratio.

Lol.

I didn't say Cain is a better striker than Overeem, but in an MMA fight I see Cain outstriking him. He'd be too worried about the takedowns and get beat up everywhere.

Do you realize that it is Joe Rogan's job to bring the hype to every fight. That is part of what he gets paid well to do.

That's true, but when combined with the average untrained fan, a little bit of booze, and a lot of emotion, you get a fanbase built on ignorance.

Man, can't wait for Overeem to face some real competition and get demolished so his roided up hype train can get derailed.

Being a great kick boxer doesn't mean you outstrike everyone you fight in MMA because you have to completely change how you strike when you fight in MMA vs. Kick boxing. Which is why some MMA fighters, who aren't great at kick boxing, KO even decent kick boxers, despite the fact said MMA fighters would get thrashed in an actual kickboxing match.

Most people make the point that great boxers wouldn't do well in MMA because people could ground and pound them. I think people would also be suprised that even if you brought in great pro - boxers, they would sometimes get out struck and KOd as well.

Can someone please tell me how this works? I only watch ball sports.

Back