I'm conflicted about Gustaffsons chances in a JJ rematch

Well if the stars aligned in their first fight, be sure it's going to align again. I just don't see how the first fight was surprising to so many people.

I see it this way;

Alex was pretty to close to winning that fight by decision until he was hit by a spinning back elbow from hell. It was a perfect timed elbow which zapped all of his energy.

Other than that he wasn't rocked by any other strikes from Jones.

I think if he fights pretty much the same only with a little more agression from the start and is able to avoid any hellbows he'll be alright.

He also knows Jones probably won't get him down either so he can try to generate more power in his punches. The downside of that strategy is that he'll probably have to use less great footwork and maybe Jones will get a hold of him and be able to take him down.

I can't imagine the rematch being any less exciting than the first one though, that's for sure :D

You're naive if you buy that Jones excuse. And Gustafsson mostly stood up and boxed him, he only took a few takedowns where he had them.

This "if Jones decides to wrestle" argument is moronic. He TRIED to in the Gus fight, he just wasn't successful.

I did not make a "if Jones decides to wrestle" argument. Instead, I simply pointed out that he was uncharacteristically basic that night and was caught off guard by Gus' grappling. That will not happen twice, and it seems silly to suggest otherwise.

None of this is to say that Gus cannot beat Jones, he most certainly can. Only time will tell.

I'm conflicted as well, on the one hand its possible that Jones could have severely underestimated Gus and Gus took him by surprise by going for TDs and striking, which is why Jones was bewildered at some points. On the other hand, there are just guys out there that are bad style match ups for people, Gus might be one of those people.

To use an example, lets take 2 boxing greats, Pacquiao vs Marquez. Pac was dominant and kicked everyone's ass, but for some reason Marquez just had his number in terms of matching up well with him, it was always a close back and forth match when they fought, Marquez is just a tough style match up for Pacquiao. Now if that's the case with Gustafsson, we will just have to wait and see in the rematch.

Back