I'm conflicted about Gustaffsons chances in a JJ rematch

if gus can get passed rumble he should pose a bunch of problems again. i think adding in punishment to jones lead leg is the key. dc didnt really do it and may not have had the tools to light it up but imo thats what needs to be done. if gus can use his reach and movement to get jones turning then he could have a lot of success mixing in that attack. i really think landing some hard kicks to jones leg is ticket. jones build isnt as thick or stable as most. jones isnt light on his feet and puts a lot of weight on his front foot. jones front leg looks exposed during his fights. it will also set up a ton of striking while slowing jones down

easier said than done obv

And it wouldnt be much of a hype for a fight if he talks in the prefight interviews about how little he trained, or how he isnt taking Gus seriously.
Thing is, I believe JJ trained hard for Gus. But I dont think its with the same intensity and motivation and obsession it prolly was with the prep for Cormier.

jbj's training for dc, and the reason he needed the additional four months to get ready for it, was to target his base/core - for executing the lean/laying on top of dc in the clinch. absent that very effective -do nothing- clinch, he's not riding the points card to victory.

if gus can get passed rumble he should pose a bunch of problems again. i think adding in punishment to jones lead leg is the key. dc didnt really do it and may not have had the tools to light it up but imo thats what needs to be done. if gus can use his reach and movement to get jones turning then he could have a lot of success mixing in that attack. i really think landing some hard kicks to jones leg is ticket. jones build isnt as thick or stable as most. jones isnt light on his feet and puts a lot of weight on his front foot. jones front leg looks exposed during his fights. it will also set up a ton of striking while slowing jones down

easier said than done obv

brilliant actually, and gus can certainly execute

I didn't believe in Gus fullheartedly the first time.

Jones said before the fight that he was 100% and after the fight he said something like 50% ?

I hope Gus can do it again, but with greater determination.

Eh. Rumble has literally never lost a striking match, even Belfort had to take him down and submit him.

Fact is Johnson is more powerful than Gus, bigger, more experienced, training with a top camp, has better wrestling especially defensively, etc.

The only way Rumble has ever lost is grappling and that's not Gus' strength at all. I see him lighting Gus up and getting a 2nd round finish.

lighting Gus up is not an easy thing to do, and he has proven that he can take a punch.
Johnson got serious power and speed but he has been lacking cardio.
Either Johnson stops Gus or he edges out the first 3 rounds otherwise
Gus should be able to outwork him.

lighting Gus up is not an easy thing to do, and he has proven that he can take a punch.
Johnson got serious power and speed but he has been lacking cardio.
Either Johnson stops Gus or he edges out the first 3 rounds otherwise
Gus should be able to outwork him.

Rumble definitely got power, but people are acting as if he's dropping people with one punch left and right. He uncorked a lot of shots on Davis and couldnt finish him. Gus' chin is just as good and maybe even better, and on top of that has better movement.

I believe in C: Gus hugely overestimated Jones, he stepped back when he could have stepped forward becuase he had to much respect for the wrestling of Jones. Next time he wont have as much respect and will pressure Jones in a totally different way, Jones wont get lucky with some elbow this time either.

And the fact that Gus won the first fight, he wont lose this time either. Gus is constantly improving.

I believe in C: Gus hugely overestimated Jones, he stepped back when he could have stepped forward becuase he had to much respect for the wrestling of Jones. Next time he wont have as much respect and will pressure Jones in a totally different way, Jones wont get lucky with some elbow this time either.

And the fact that Gus won the first fight, he wont lose this time either. Gus is constantly improving.

If he could have knocked Jones out he would have. Simple as that.Stop trying to rewrite history.

Gus will be champ by years end and the most anticipates trilogy on lhw history will be upon us

Rumble definitely got power, but people are acting as if he's dropping people with one punch left and right. He uncorked a lot of shots on Davis and couldnt finish him. Gus' chin is just as good and maybe even better, and on top of that has better movement.

I agree

but still I am curious what they have done with Rumble @ Blackzillians
to prepare him for Gus.
the thought of Rumble with a gas tank is scary and if he can put pressure on
Gus and close distance it should be a great fight.

That whole "didn't take him seriously" concept pretty much NEVER pans out. That is the typical response when a great fighter and/or fans are in denial about how a fight played out.

It's the same thing that was said after BJ had what was basically a draw with Edgar in the first fight, when most figured he'd run through Frankie. It's the same thing Barao and his camp are saying with TJ. It's the same with Hendricks and Lawler after the first fight (Hendricks was supposedly fighting severely injured in the first fight and now was healthy and would run through Robbie).

It never pans out, unless there was a major injury and/or the first fight was simply a one punch KO type of deal (Cain vs. JDS).

It's just extremely rare that two guys have an absolute war for five rounds, and it turns out that one guy is really at a far higher level than the other, he just simply wasn't motivated the first time. :rolleyes:

Jones may be the better fighter, but bottom line is Gus is dam good too and matches up well with him. The second fight will most likely be awesome as well.

I see the 2nd bout going like AS-Sonnen II. I thought DC could be the man to dethrone JBJ. Now, I'm not so sure the man who can do it is on the roster.

Why? He still has the reach to deal with him, he defended all of Jones td attempts while taking Jones down once and tripping him down another time. The equalizer in the first bout was Jones outstretched fingers and eye pokes. It seems like every time fighter A wins they forget how good fighter B is as well.

This. Gus missed his chance. Jones beat him the first time on a night Gus has everything go perfectly for him.

Jon owns him easily this time if they even fight again, Rumble IMO is gonna blitz Gus.

Really insightful bullshit you have here chief.

That whole "didn't take him seriously" concept pretty much NEVER pans out. That is the typical response when a great fighter and/or fans are in denial about how a fight played out.

It's the same thing that was said after BJ had what was basically a draw with Edgar in the first fight, when most figured he'd run through Frankie. It's the same thing Barao and his camp are saying with TJ. It's the same with Hendricks and Lawler after the first fight (Hendricks was supposedly fighting severely injured in the first fight and now was healthy and would run through Robbie).

It never pans out, unless there was a major injury and/or the first fight was simply a one punch KO type of deal (Cain vs. JDS).

It's just extremely rare that two guys have an absolute war for five rounds, and it turns out that one guy is really at a far higher level than the other, he just simply wasn't motivated the first time. :rolleyes:

Jones may be the better fighter, but bottom line is Gus is dam good too and matches up well with him. The second fight will most likely be awesome as well.

Lets get one thing straight, I am in no way, shape, or form a Jon Jones fan! I hope you are right. But I cant help but fear a Sonnen/Silva 2 esque thing happening. Where Jon finds a way to neutralize Alex's boxing. Heres to hoping I'm wrong.

We have a winner here, folks! I have absolutely the same feeling. Remember when Gustaffson's coach spoke to Alex during the break after the 1st or 2nd rds, "You see Alex, he's not the God of War."
They have way too much respect for him and his wrestling, up to the point that it limited Gustaffson's abilities.
I have rewatched the fight a couple of times after that and I can say nothing but Alex was clearly the better fighter that night. He was making the same mistake over and over again -- when he had Jones hurt in the pocket he would constantly retreat for the sake of not being taken down. He used this strategy to play it safe, but at the end it didn't pay off because he missed plenty of opportunities to finish the fight, which in turn led to that horrible judges' decision.

We have a winner here, folks! I have absolutely the same feeling. Remember when Gustaffson's coach spoke to Alex during the break after the 1st or 2nd rds, "You see Alex, he's not the God of War."
They have way too much respect for him and his wrestling, up to the point that it limited Gustaffson's abilities.
I have rewatched the fight a couple of times after that and I can say nothing but Alex was clearly the better fighter that night. He was making the same mistake over and over again -- when he had Jones hurt in the pocket he would constantly retreat for the sake of not being taken down. He used this strategy to play it safe, but at the end it didn't pay off because he missed plenty of opportunities to finish the fight, which in turn led to that horrible judges' decision.

I agree. Same with Anderson, people would get intimidated and just freeze up. Gus was messing Jon up but never really moved in for the kill.

Lets get one thing straight, I am in no way, shape, or form a Jon Jones fan! I hope you are right. But I cant help but fear a Sonnen/Silva 2 esque thing happening. Where Jon finds a way to neutralize Alex's boxing. Heres to hoping I'm wrong.

In the first fight, Sonnen landed that bomb on the feet early, which could have changed everything. In addition, the second fight wasn't going all that different before Sonnen's infamous spinning elbow blunder.

Jones vs Gus didn't have some fight changing moment where Gus "got lucky" if you will. It was simply a very even, five round war.

In the first fight, Sonnen landed that bomb on the feet early, which could have changed everything. In addition, the second fight wasn't going all that different before Sonnen's infamous spinning elbow blunder.

Jones vs Gus didn't have some fight changing moment where Gus "got lucky" if you will. It was simply a very even, five round war.

Mmmyeahh, thats making the assumption that, that shot mattered in the first fight. Also I'm not convinced that Sonnen lost the rematch due to that spinning elbow. Sonnen was getting stuffed and started to panic, imo.

Back