I'm conflicted about Gustaffsons chances in a JJ rematch

I said it even immediately after their first fight, it was an irregularity. Wether it was mental or lack of preparation and underestimating his opponent, Gus had the chance of a lifetime because the Jones he fought wasn't the same everyone else had to fight.

I think in the rematch Jones will finish him.

This. Gus missed his chance. Jones beat him the first time on a night Gus has everything go perfectly for him.

Jon owns him easily this time if they even fight again, Rumble IMO is gonna blitz Gus.

This for sure. The very fact that even Arlovsky couldn't put away Rumble sys it wall. Rumble is going to drop bombs on Gus and put him away. The aging Ghost of Shogun even gave Gus problems and almost beat him.

gus did really well against jones, a rematch should happen

Only way Jones is losing is by a miracle super lucky fluke KO. He easily controls Gus (again) and gets the decision. There's no one at 205 that is coming near Jones.

Only way Jones is losing is by a miracle super lucky fluke KO. He easily controls Gus (again) and gets the decision. There's no one at 205 that is coming near Jones.

What fight were you watching?

The simple answer is that jones will have an answer for everything gus did well in the first fight. With the way he studies, I doubt he hasn't already spent countless hours looking at that fight, and identifying everything he did wrong, and everything gus did right.

The thing is Gus might be able to beat jones, but he can't do it by coming in with the same strategy, and just expecting to be better at it. Because jones has seen it before. Gus kept jones confused for the the better part of 4 rounds, and half way through the fourth jones started to figure him out.

Like they've been saying jones usually tries to beat his opponent at their own game. The only time it didn't work was with gus, because gus' boxing was just that much better. But rest assured jones has the answer now, honestly that's why I don't want to see the rematch for a while. Because as close as the first fight was, I expect jones to run through him the second time.

I know I know, he first has to fight Rumble. But even if he loses to Rumble I still see him fighting Jones somewhere down the line.
So now that we have that out of the way...

I'm sitting here thinking about the first fight and a potential rematch. And two thoughts keep crossing my mind:

A: The stars aligned for Gus in their first bout. Jon came in that fight heavily underestimating him, probably thinking he'll mess him up standing, get an easy takedown and finish with some GnP or a sub. JJ came unprepared for the weapons and strengths that Gus possesses and therefore had a tough fight.
On top of that Gus was on fire, probably trained his heart out, was in the zone.......and still.........it wasnt enough.
This leads me to believe that with the proper preperation and not underestimating Gus, Jon will probably easily take the rematch.

B: Jon will always have a tough fight against Gus. Alex has the reach, boxing, movement, and body type to beat Jones. If he works a bit more on his conditioning and defense he has a good chance of taking the belt.

Maybe if Gus easily beats Rumble I'll have a bit more faith, but as of now I'm leaning towards option A.

I can't fucking stand when people say this. How can you possibly say that? Are you Jones? Do you know how hard he trained? I remember Jones saying that he was excited about the fight with Gus because he could finally show that he could beat someone his size and that he was motivated to prove it. Just because he got beat up by Gus and barely won the decision doesn't mean he didn't take him seriously. It means Gus is on a similar level and showed up hungry and motivated.

Yes, Gus fought a great fight, his best up until that point. What leads you to believe Gus can't perform like that again? Is he going to forget how to use his footwork? Is he going to suddenly box like shit?

No, bullshit. Think about it. Jones is surrounded by one of the best camps in the world, whose job is to make sure he's prepared to retain his championship every single time he steps into the octagon. I highly doubt they let him fuck around in camp and not work hard. I also doubt they let him believe Gus wasn't dangerous, young, hungry, and big just like Jon.

Jon edged out the fight, but for once in a Jones fight his opponent seemed like he belonged in the cage with him. All credit to Gustafsson for showing up to fight and performing. I have no reason to believe that he won't perform well in the rematch. All that said, I'd give Jon a slight edge in the rematch.

Gus will do better in the re-match. I don't buy for a second that Jones didn't take him seriously, he even said before the fight he was training very hard. Gus is just a bad stylistic match up.

well said, that

Jones is the best mma fighter in the world today and he sure will be
the favourite in a rematch with Gus.

Gus has impressed in the Jones fight not because it was such a close contested fight
but with how he has shown the ability to learn from past mistakes and up his game.
He has shown that he is able to improve as a fighter (grappling/footwork) with the Jones fight.

Just as Jones, Gus is an improved fighter and if he really gets past Rumble Johnson who
looks nothing but great since his return, there is no reason for me to believe it wont be just as competitve as their first fight.

just hoping for great fight
no one is invincible

I can't fucking stand when people say this. How can you possibly say that? Are you Jones? Do you know how hard he trained? I remember Jones saying that he was excited about the fight with Gus because he could finally show that he could beat someone his size and that he was motivated to prove it. Just because he got beat up by Gus and barely won the decision doesn't mean he didn't take him seriously. It means Gus is on a similar level and showed up hungry and motivated.

Yes, Gus fought a great fight, his best up until that point. What leads you to believe Gus can't perform like that again? Is he going to forget how to use his footwork? Is he going to suddenly box like shit?

No, bullshit. Think about it. Jones is surrounded by one of the best camps in the world, whose job is to make sure he's prepared to retain his championship every single time he steps into the octagon. I highly doubt they let him fuck around in camp and not work hard. I also doubt they let him believe Gus wasn't dangerous, young, hungry, and big just like Jon.

Jon edged out the fight, but for once in a Jones fight his opponent seemed like he belonged in the cage with him. All credit to Gustafsson for showing up to fight and performing. I have no reason to believe that he won't perform well in the rematch. All that said, I'd give Jon a slight edge in the rematch.

Because thats basically what he said in the post presser. He might not have slacked in training, but I do believe that Gus's movement and grappling suprised Jones.

Gus will do better in the re-match. I don't buy for a second that Jones didn't take him seriously, he even said before the fight he was training very hard. Gus is just a bad stylistic match up.

Thank you. Can't believe how many people think Gus didn't MAKE the fight competitive, but that Jon LET the fight be competitive. People act like Jones didn't try for take downs and didn't utilize his kicking game. No, he landed several head kicks which Gus ate and kept coming. He tried to take Gus down, but Gus defended them. But let's not give credit to Gus for defending the take downs...

Seemed to me that Jon threw the kitchen sink at Gus, but Gus took everything and kept coming, while still being effective with his own offense. Just because Jon struggled doesn't mean he didn't show up to fight or take things seriously. He's human. He fought a guy who had a good style to counter his, and who was very hungry. Why is that so hard to accept? After all, he still won so why not just give props to Gus and look forward to another great scrap?

Because thats basically what he said in the post presser. He might not have slacked in training, but I do believe that Gus's movement and grappling suprised Jones.

Well of course he's going to say that after the fight. He wanted to have an excuse as to why he nearly lost the fight. You can't just take his word for it, because it's in his best interest to make some shit up.

To me, it is very hard because of other factors. Gus and any other contender got many things playing against them to dethrone Jones.

Remember, Jones is a dominant champ. Gustafson must finish him or beat the snot out of him from bell to bell. Judges will never give him the W unless he utterly smashes him for 25 minutes, no fucking way. I had Gus winning the first fight by a tiny margin, could have been a draw as well. So a close decision wont work, and i think Jones is too great to get his ass kicked thoroughly or being finished. I think it will be another stinky controversial decision that will have Jones as the winner.

After watching the fight tonight I don't see Gus standing a chance. Whereas before, I thought it'd be a lot closer.

I don't get why so many people are counting Gus out in the rematch and saying Jones will wreck him easily. He presents a problem nobody else can offer with that length and height. Somebody just as big as Jones.

I really believe Gus can do it in the rematch. I hate when people say Gus had his one chance the first fight. Gus is young too and only getting better. His TDD has improved a ton as well.

I do believe we will see this fight again in 2015. I got Gus beating Rumble.
There is no other fight I want to see more right now than this one.

I think Rumble gets fucked up from the outside by Gus.

Eh. Rumble has literally never lost a striking match, even Belfort had to take him down and submit him.

Fact is Johnson is more powerful than Gus, bigger, more experienced, training with a top camp, has better wrestling especially defensively, etc.

The only way Rumble has ever lost is grappling and that's not Gus' strength at all. I see him lighting Gus up and getting a 2nd round finish.

Well of course he's going to say that after the fight. He wanted to have an excuse as to why he nearly lost the fight. You can't just take his word for it, because it's in his best interest to make some shit up.

And it wouldnt be much of a hype for a fight if he talks in the prefight interviews about how little he trained, or how he isnt taking Gus seriously.
Thing is, I believe JJ trained hard for Gus. But I dont think its with the same intensity and motivation and obsession it prolly was with the prep for Cormier.

To be fair Jon was constantly trying to get into a clinch battle, but Gus was always quick to disengage.

i should watch this again, but that clinch from jbj is boring as hell (goat my ass). dc couldn't get out from under the weight of the clinch.

Back