I'm conflicted about Gustaffsons chances in a JJ rematch

Ziegmund

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know I know, he first has to fight Rumble. But even if he loses to Rumble I still see him fighting Jones somewhere down the line.
So now that we have that out of the way...

I'm sitting here thinking about the first fight and a potential rematch. And two thoughts keep crossing my mind:

A: The stars aligned for Gus in their first bout. Jon came in that fight heavily underestimating him, probably thinking he'll mess him up standing, get an easy takedown and finish with some GnP or a sub. JJ came unprepared for the weapons and strengths that Gus possesses and therefore had a tough fight.
On top of that Gus was on fire, probably trained his heart out, was in the zone.......and still.........it wasnt enough.
This leads me to believe that with the proper preperation and not underestimating Gus, Jon will probably easily take the rematch.

B: Jon will always have a tough fight against Gus. Alex has the reach, boxing, movement, and body type to beat Jones. If he works a bit more on his conditioning and defense he has a good chance of taking the belt.

Maybe if Gus easily beats Rumble I'll have a bit more faith, but as of now I'm leaning towards option A.

They are not high. Their first fight was close because Jones relied too heavily on his hands and was surprised by Gus' willingness to grapple. Will not happen two times, ever.

They are not high. Their first fight was close because Jones relied too heavily on his hands and was surprised by Gus' willingness to grapple. Will not happen two times, ever.

To be fair Jon was constantly trying to get into a clinch battle, but Gus was always quick to disengage.

This. Gus missed his chance. Jones beat him the first time on a night Gus has everything go perfectly for him.

Jon owns him easily this time if they even fight again, Rumble IMO is gonna blitz Gus.

It's B. Gus is just a nasty match up for Jonny. He has the reach to match, he's extremely nimble, good footwork and a great jab. Good defensive grappling to weather Jones offensive. Jones has little to know head movement from distance so there's that. It will be another close fight. I'll take me some of Jones though. He'll grind him down and kick him to death.

This. Gus missed his chance. Jones beat him the first time on a night Gus has everything go perfectly for him.

Jon owns him easily this time if they even fight again, Rumble IMO is gonna blitz Gus.

If you nothing constructive to say, why are you here?

Gus would get destroy by Rumble Johnson. Rumble will ko him once he finds his chin.

Gus is a bad style match up for Jones, but who knows what happens if they have a rematch.

I would say A is probably the correct answer for me right now.
I wish it was B though, perhaps Gus can become Frazier to Jon's Ali, just doesn't appear to be any "proof" that Gus has improved based on the meaningless Manuwa fight. If he dismantles Rumble I would lean towards him being a constant threat to Bones.

I think Gus will walk right through Rumble.

I think Rumble gets fucked up from the outside by Gus.

yes he relied too heavily on his hands cause he couldnt take him down or graple him.
this will hapen and the next time and Gus will smash his face

It reminds me of when Chael fought Silva the first time. Everything went right for Chael and he still couldn't get the job done. I'm rooting for Gus but lightning doesn't strike twice.

You're naive if you buy that Jones excuse. And Gustafsson mostly stood up and boxed him, he only took a few takedowns where he had them.

This "if Jones decides to wrestle" argument is moronic. He TRIED to in the Gus fight, he just wasn't successful.

Gus still has a chance, but I think it will only be tougher for him.

Bones was WAY too overconfident in his range boxing in the first fight. I feel like Jon is now channeling his inner GSP and sticking to his strengths to win the fight instead of trying to look good. Just like GSP lost his flashiness, I think Jon will go through the same thing.

Gus will do better in the re-match. I don't buy for a second that Jones didn't take him seriously, he even said before the fight he was training very hard. Gus is just a bad stylistic match up.

im with you...its highly unlikely Gus is beating Jones in a rematch

A and B are equally true. Jones wins through sheer force of will.

Gus is gonna wreck jones again after he ktfos rumble

Back