I'm concerned about Conor's "new" approach to striking.

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
Concerned is a big word, I quite frankly don't give a fuck, but I have noticed his approach to striking changed quite a bit.
He mentioned on multiple occasions that he cleaned up his style by teaming up with his old boxing coach and now "sits down on his shots" more than he used to.
I've noticed by watching some of his footage that he is much more flat footed and keeps his hands glued to his chin, a classic english boxing style, the opposite to what his approach used to be.
McGregor used to fight with his hands down, stance wide, bouncing in and out of range like a TKD fighter.
It was unorthodox, but effective for him.
Ever since the Mayweather loss, he seems to have renounced his old style.
I don't think changing the recipe mid-career, after a long lay off, is a good strategy (Ex: Narrow Stance Penn). A low stance might be more effective against/for wrestling, but vulnerable to Muay Thai.
I'm curious to see how he looks tomorrow night.
I'm out, one love!

“Im concerned.”
“Im not concerned i dont give a fuck.”

Concerned is a big word, I quite frankly don't give a fuck, but I have noticed his approach to striking changed quite a bit.
He mentioned on multiple occasions that he cleaned up his style by teaming up with his old boxing coach and now "sits down on his shots" more than he used to.
I've noticed by watching some of his footage that he is much more flat footed and keeps his hands glued to his chin, a classic english boxing style, the opposite to what his approach used to be.
McGregor used to fight with his hands down, stance wide, bouncing in and out of range like a TKD fighter.
I don't think changing the recipe mid-career, after a long lay off, is a good strategy (Ex: Narrow Stance Penn). A low stance might be more effective against/for wrestling, but vulnerable to Muay Thai.
I'm out, one love!
Valid points. Cowboy went through a similar scenario of changing things, listening to experts... Then he changed back and said, "I gotta be me". The result was his best fighting streak ever. I think he won 12 outa his next 13 or something. His only loss was against a prime RDA.

I'm out, one love!
Interested to see how this plays out as well

Hes looked like shit in the training footage so far, slow and awkward. It looked like an inspiring story of an alcoholic in rehab

Did he really renounce his style?
I didn't see that in the Khabib fight.
Conor's stance was wide and his hands were just as low as always

1046988064.jpg.0.jpg

soWWnWY.png

Depends how much time he was in iceland with ido touchbutting...

That was a pure boxing session tho, to say that he has adopted this is just an assumption. I'm pretty sure we will see his regular stance in the actual fight. It's gonna be very interesting tho how he will deal with Cerrone's kicks if it gets there.

I'm out, one love!
It's a great strategy if you're building to a fight with pacuiao.

I think it's just another tool he'll pull out and use if need be....

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out with the Karate stance as usual. That stance and his reach is hard to deal with.

That style cost energy . And for as a good as a boxer as he was . It was mainly reflexes and precision . If he has added a jab and a right hand then more power to him

Back