im buying a cleto and a fairtex

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by lutwey, May 30, 2014.

1. lutwey

lutwey Yellow Belt

so after weeks of reading i have decided to buy two of the most recomended moderately priced gear (no way im shelling out for grants or winning). im about to sign up for either a year of boxing or a year of muay thai/mma. what sizes should i get. im planning to use one for bag/mit work then the other for sparring.

should i just buy two pairs of 16's since they have different padding. im thinking of using the fairtex on the bag and mits then cleto for sparring. should i just buy 2 cletos in diffrent sizes. please let me know. thanks in adavance.

2. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

I go to a muay thai gym and we use 16oz for everything. Different pairs for bag and sparring of course. I say go Muay thai and get the Fairtex.

3. JuanB

JuanB White Belt

Sweet Science all the way!!

I use 16 oz Cletos for the bag with winning ng-2 knuckle guards, 10 oz safetecs for mitts and for sparring 16 oz too

4. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

General consensus is that most people use maybe 10s or 12s on the bag/mitts. A weight that's closer to what they'll compete at. 16s for sparring.

5. NAKMUAY18

NAKMUAY18 Brown Belt

12oz cleto's for the bag and Fairtex for sparring would be better. Cletos give great feeling when you hit the bag, but they arn't very protective for you or your partner. Cletos are very soft, so you can feel your knuckles hitting the bag. I have Triumph United deathadders for sparring. They are front loaded so all the protection is on the knuckle, but it's a love it or hate or thing.

6. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

How small is the hand compartment in 12 oz Cletos??? I really want a pair but stratocaster says the hand compartment is really small. I have no reason not to believe him but can I get some input from cleto users?

7. MuayThaiDan

MuayThaiDan White Belt

The hand compartment on a 12oz cleto is similar to a 12oz twins but wider. Bigger than my 14oz top king (wich is realllyyyy snug).

And one thing to consider is that the "training"gloves from cleto come 2oz heavier, so a 12 is more like a 14oz.

I would get a Cleto or a fairtex BGV9 for the bag and a more pillowy glove for spar (for your partners sake), like a Twins, top king or a ringside imf tech pro sparring glove. I find fairtex BGV1 to dense to go heavy sparring, but we don't use headgear at my gym.

8. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

My fingers poke though 12oz BGV9's and I was told my numerous people that cleto reyes are shorter (in terms of finger length). This is why I am afraid to pull the trigger on cleto reyes...

9. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Yeah, people keep telling me to go with a 14oz cleto but I dont want more 16oz gloves, I have like 7 pairs of 16oz gloves, I currently have nothing in the 10-12oz range.

Maybe i'll just get those new bgv9s in 12oz.

10. nomilkforsanta

nomilkforsanta Nathan

on the 12's it takes a while for the finger tip grip bar to loosen up...at first it is very painful.

11. fmeffects

fmeffects Yellow Belt

Hi there! I'm hoping to get cleto's as well. In comparison with 12oz Twins, Which series of Twins are you talking about? I have the New version with black label and the old plastic white label, both 12oz. I find the new one (black label) a lot smaller and more snug.

12. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

I have long fingers. I've not had 12oz Reyes but I found the finger compartment too short in 14oz Reyes. Also found it too short in 16oz BGV9s (or at least, the lace-up version, BGL3 I think its called)

13. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

Good point here. The Fairtex in 16oz is going to be more forgiving for your sparring partners than Reyes in 16oz.

14. MuayThaiDan

MuayThaiDan White Belt

The new ones with black label. The Cleto's are a lot wider tho (hand can move side to side) and the thumb is a little awkward for people who are used to thai gloves (like me :icon_chee )

15. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

I think it's awkward for most people with thumbs in general

16. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

Having never worn cleto reyes, what makes the thumb so awkward? (especially compared to Thai gloves which I'm most familiar with)

17. MuayThaiDan

MuayThaiDan White Belt

the thumb compartment makes your thumb "bend" in a awkward position, it's hard to explain but its like you have to bend them down and sideways (wich you can't). I just keep mine straight but feels wierd.

18. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Both thumbs are awkward, while you are used to the overly straight thumb from a thai glove where the thumb leads the fist. Reyes really effects those with long thumbs and makes your thumb arch as if you were holding something but then resting your thumb on top of it.

19. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

Cool, thanks for the reply guys. I'm really interested to try some cletos. Unfortunately no one at my gym has any and I don't have the extra money to buy some at the moment.