Illiopsoas + desk job

SuperOx

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
ANyone else work at a desk all day and have trouble with general tightness with the illipsoas hip flexor group? I've noticed I have to do tons of warmup and static/dynamic stretching or on squat day, I cannot get a good motion on the start up the negative because I cannot load the weight back onto my hips/glutes since these muscles are so damned tight from working a sedatory job. With these hip flexors refusing to extend from tightness, the negative will almost always make me fold my back instead of squatting back into my hips/glutes which means no power and no stability.

Sprinter's stretch works somewhat (have to almost bow and arrow it) but are there any alternatives? Anyone sit on one of those big swiss balls instead of a chair?

I've had the worst sitting slouch ever and have been sitting in chairs in front of a pc for at least 10 hours a day since I was about 8 years old (I'm in my 30's now).

If I do NOT stretch my hips and back liberally before squat day its never good, but when I do its right as rain, as I've worked to strengthen the area. I do a few hip mobility drills/stretches on off days as well. The last few years there have been marked improvements in this area that I attribute to taking up jujitsu.

Start doing more glute work- try supine bridges 3x15 before you squat to activate the glutes, static hip flexor stretches everyday, prone cobra holds, dumbell walking lunges with a longer stride and emphasis on keeping your body upright, barbell step-ups stepping up from further away emphasizes the glutes more, and barbell hip thrusts.

Hip flexor stretching combined with activation/strengthening work targeting the glutes.

At work, get up every now and then to walk around and, if possible, give your hip flexors a brief stretch. If at all possible, spend some of your daily "sitting time" by sitting on your knees (where your hip flexors are stretched instead of shortened) instead than on a chair; maybe place something like a yoga mat under your knees so they don't hurt.

Hip flexor tightness/glute elongation-inhibition is very common for people with desk jobs and sedentary life-style. It usually accompanied by anterior pelvic tilt and everything that comes with it.

Yes, I had the same issue and tried Starting Strength without knowing about it. I ended up straining my MCL.

I take a break a few times every day to do thorough glute activation and hip flexor stretching. I work from home so that might not be an option for you, in which case you can do it in the mornings and in the evenings.

I've also tried goblet squats recently and I'm able to go deep with those in a more correct range of motion than with a barbell or even with my bodyweight alone. But generally the way I'm dealing with it is to stop squatting, focus on increasing my flexibility, and do dead lifts and other strength-building exercises for my lower body which I can complete with a correct range of motion.

Back