Illegal knees to the head should lead to DQ more often

CELS

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
One of the most frequent complaints against boxing is the fact that the standing eight count lets fighters continue to fight after they've suffered a concussion. The good thing about MMA is that a down fighter often gets finished by GnP and the fight is over in a few seconds.

However, a lot of times fighters will get kicked, stomped or kneed in the face and the referee will give them time to recover. The worst example I've seen in a long time was Tim Elliott vs Jared Papazian. Elliott took a brutal knee to the face while on his knees, and was stumbling and dazed for one, maybe two minutes before they let the fight continue.

To his credit, Elliott came back strong, recovered and won the fight. But he was rocked so bad, he didn't know what planet he was on. The fight should have been stopped - not because he couldn't continue, but just for the sake of fighter safety.

TL;DR: Refs are too scared to stop fights, for fear of pissing off the crowds. See thread title for solution.

I agree and its not like hitting the back of the head when in the heat of the moment trying to finish a guy.its way to well known of a fowl and powerful to be like oh just don't do it again ok.

I kinda agree but I think they should make it a NC instead and then do a rematch.

It doesn't happen a lot and it should be legal anyway.

although the 8 count can be similar to getting dropped, recovering guard and holding on for dear life

I think the physicians should stop the fight more often. One of the selling points of MMA is that it is safer than boxing because you don't receive multiple concussions. The problem with these fouls that allow recovery are that they are taking multiple concussions.

As a fan who's generally against NCs and DQs, the refs just need to stay on top of the action more in those situations. Immediately stop the action, give the victim time to recover, and if the illegal blow in question seems to have had an effect, deduct a point from the other fighter. Sakara-Cote should have been stopped after the first couple shots, Sakara loses a point, Cote gets time to recover and from there who knows.

Better solution. Make it legal and deal with it the same way you do every other well placed strike.

Yeah the ref did a horrible job in the Tim Elliott vs Jared Papazian fight. He didn't even gave Elliot the whole 5 minutes to recover. He didn't take a point away nor do the obvious and call the fight after Elliot was wobbly from that illigal knee.

Glad he won but normally this is a NC in my book.

Yeah the ref did a horrible job in the Tim Elliott vs Jared Papazian fight. He didn't even gave Elliot the whole 5 minutes to recover. He didn't take a point away nor do the obvious and call the fight after Elliot was wobbly from that illigal knee.

Glad he won but normally this is a NC in my book.

5 minute rule applies to low blows.
Other illegal shots, the ref has the option to give a max of 5 minutes, or the physician has up to 5 min to make a decision. Once the physician decides it can continue and leaves the cage, its supposed to be restarted, just like it was.

Other illegal shots, the ref has the option to give a max of 5 minutes, or the physician has up to 5 min to make a decision. Once the physician decides it can continue and leaves the cage, its supposed to be restarted, just like it was.

Interesting, didn't know that. I would love to know what the physician said to him, he was whispering something in Elliot's ear.

Didn't know that, thanks.

Interesting, didn't know that. I would love to know what the physician said to him, he was whispering something in Elliot's ear.

I really thought he was going to stop it.
Unfortunately sometimes the ref and physician both try to pass the buck and fights that should be stopped don't. Refs are taught in instances like that, bring the physician in and let him be the bad guy and stop the fight, which is fine unless he doesn't want to be the one to stop it either.

Back