Ike Ibeabuchi

Crazy Canuck

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just how good was he or how good do you think he could've been?

For those who don't know, Ike Ibeabuchi was a very promising heavyweight. He shot through the ranks fighting mostly unranked journeymen. In 1997 he was paired up against rising star David Tua. Tua was known for gargantuan power, had run through Ruiz and was quickly drawing comparisons to Tyson.

Ike stormed out and took control in the early rounds. He showed incredible cardio and managed to absorb all of Tua's power punches. In the end he won a unanimous decision. What the world didn't know was that Ike Ibeabuchi was very mentally unstable. Following the greatest win of his budding career he claimed demons and spirits were overwhelming him. These psychopathic ramblings led him to kidnapping his own son from a former girlfriend and purposefully driving his car into a cement pillar.

The boy suffered permanent injuries and Ike was inexplicably given only two months jail time. Needless to say, he received no notable psychiatric evaluations or treatment. A year later, Ike would return to the boxing arena successfully. He destroyed two more mediocre fighters before fighting Chris Byrd. Byrd a very slick fighter who would later go on to become a champion, was thoroughly beaten by Ike and stopped in the 5th round.

This is Ike Ibeabuchi's last professional bout. After a stripper refused to render Ike private services in his room, he beat her and sexually assaulted her. Following his arrest Ike was found to be both bi-polar and schizophrenic. Three different doctors were asked to determine if he was fit to stand trial. Two of the three believed he could and Ike was sentenced to 2-10 years for battery, and 3-20 years for sexual assault. His parole has been perpetually denied by the State.

Before his mental collapse Ike was perhaps the greatest young talent in boxing. He showed incredible cardio and work rate for a heavyweight while still retaining power. Additionally, David Tua was unable to knock Ike down... in fact no one who faced Ike was able to hurt him, much less beat him.

I didn't follow his career that much and only found his story after studying Tua's career. My question is for the people that did watch him box, exactly how good could Ike Ibeabuchi have been?

I seen his fight with tua, and heard his name a few times and then didnt anymore. I never knew what happened to him. I always assumed that he got beat or just fell off, i had no clue that he had those issues. Very sad story.

The President was my favorite HW back when he was fighting. I think he definitely would have won an alphabet strap. I can't remember but I think he was supposed to fight Michael Grant, and Grant went on to fight and lose to Lewis. I think Ike would have destroyed Grant and would have had a decent shot at upsetting Lennox for the undisputed championship after the Lewis-Holyfield fights. Instead Rahman did it and the rest is history.

maybe someday soon he'll get out and make a small comeback, I mean shit Ayala was let out for a while (not sure how many years he served, 15?)

He had major legal problems between his fight with Tua and his fight with Bird.. apparently he drove into a wall with a family member in his car on purpose..he was trying to kill himself or something.. He did some time for that, but they must have kept it hush because at the time I didnt hear anything about it..The first time I found out he had problems mentally was after he got locked up for the second time.

He could have become a great fighter and contender, but not one of the greats.

I think he would lose to Lewis, and maybe to Vitali, but he would destroy Wladimir.

Is it true that Ike went mad as a result of taking all those heavy shots from Tua?
Or was he just crazy before that fight too?

Ike was a badass! Steel chin, fast hands, HEAVY hands, solid 235-245lbs. I think he would have gave Lewis A LOT of trouble. Would he have beat him.....good chance!

I always thought of Ibeabuchi as being like Sonny Liston in many ways. Both look like they had cement in their gloves and shoes, both had punishing jabs and could throw a right from any angle with power, and both could maul most anybody on the inside. Plus they both were insane.

If I could embed I'd post some of his work from youtube.

I'll attempt to derive some of his fighting style here and maybe make some predictions later in the post.

Ike was 6'2 and a very strong 240 pounds. One of his greatest assets was his versatility. He has no qualms about turning the fight into a tightly contested hook affair but he did know how to box a little as well. He wasn't overly slick but made up for this with other intangibles. He had an iron chin and frankly was batshit crazy, allowing him to absorb big power shots.

He was an excellent finisher and although I wouldn't say a devastating puncher certainly had some power. He fought with a high work rate behind a pretty good jab. His cardio was off the charts as he held the record for most punches thrown by a heavyweight in a 12 round fight for a number of years.

It's hard to gauge his weaknesses because he never fought the greatest of his era that would have pushed him into the deepest water. He would have been dwarfed by Lewis and the brothers and could have struggled with their range. However, he did have pretty quick hands and could stomach a shot to throw some of his own.

I think he would've been a nightmarish match-up for Tyson and a challenging one for the brothers. I think a prime Lewis is a terrible fight for Ike however, too much range and boxing ability.

Is it true that Ike went mad as a result of taking all those heavy shots from Tua?
Or was he just crazy before that fight too?

He was later diagnosed as being bipolar and schizophrenic, both would have preexisted the Tua fight.

I disagree about ike not having very good power, he blew byrd up with one punch and it took wlad dozens of shots to get there.

I can see him beating both klitschkos, especially back then and if lewis had an off night beating him as well. he definitely would have been problems for an older holyfield and john ruiz so a alphabet title would have been probable.

what a waste of talent.

I'll always remember the Tua-Ike fight, Ike taking all those shots from Tua was non human.

Ike was the best of the best!

It's hard to speculate on a fighter like Ike though until his will was truly tested

It's just that so many would-be-greats had folded because of weak will - Sam Peter, Andrew Lewis, Kasim Uma, David Izon, Ike Quartey it's like they just wanted to stop fighting once they found semi-fame or became disinterested in the sport altogether

I remember watching the Byrd fight and he beat Byrd from pillar to post. The dude could have easily held a belt.

Ike had a ton of potential. He destroyed Byrd and then I can't remember ever seeing him fight again. I think he had the tools to beat Lewis, without question.

I always thought of Ibeabuchi as being like Sonny Liston in many ways. Both look like they had cement in their gloves and shoes, both had punishing jabs and could throw a right from any angle with power, and both could maul most anybody on the inside. Plus they both were insane.

There was nothing insane about Sonny Liston. He was just a genuine badass.

He's overrated, imo.

in one sense you're correct. he never beat a reigning champion and didn't clean out his division of all time legends, which is of course the only way to not be considered overrated.

that said it's easy to bandy about labels and accusations, so to me lennox is overrated because he never fought prime versions of tyson or holyfield, and ducked wladimir, byrd, and ruiz.

so there it is.
easy isn't it?

Ike would have been an interesting contender,nut Lennox Lewis would have beat beat his ass...

Back