Igor Vovchanchyn Russian documentary (AWESOME)

d3vil0ck

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This was posted on the UG and I had to share it over here. Despite the fact it's in Russian, I enjoyed this quite a bit. The video was shot recently and shows Igor's home, his gym, workouts, training, his restaurant (which is filled with PRIDE trophies) and more.

[YT]J-2s9z3xHRM[/YT]

Here's a few quick notes a Russian speaking poster on the UG provided me with:

"@ 6:20 in the video...

Q: Igor, I wanted to ask you this for a while, you have very massive fists, have you ever performed any hand conditioning?

A: I don't do any hand conditioning now but I used to previously.

Q: What was the methodology which you used?

A: I noticed how Kyokushin Karate fighters trained. They sat on their knees and punched down into sand. I modified this approach to make it a little harder. I got into a push up position with hands outstretched. I would push myself up slightly into the air and would punch into the sand with my fist. This way the whole weight of my body drove my first into the sand."

"@ 35:12

Q: So tell me what this is, what are going to be showing us here?

A: This is called a Cryo-Camera. It is a contraption which basically allows one to restore his health. There are three rooms here. First has a temperature of 15 degrees F, the second has a temperature of -18 degrees F, and the last one has a temperature of -94 degrees F. I go into the first room for a bit, then the second, and finally I go into the third room twice, each time for 10 minutes each. I bring in dumbbells to this third room and exercise there. This procedure rids the body of tiredness. You can have a hard workout in the morning, go through this, and then you will be 100% to train at night."

If anyone here speaks Russian and can provide more translations it would be MUCH appreciated! Feel free to post here.

For true old school fans. Enjoy!​

If you need any more convincing this is worth a watch, just take a look at this:

AiaWX3p.jpg

Thanks for posting this up, Igor is among my favorite fighters of all time. I will have to check this out later without question.

Same here, so this was a real treat for me. I don't think I've seen much footage of Igor post retirement, nevermind a 45 min special. I'm hoping that eventually, I can get enough translation to provide captions to this.

I wish I could eat at Igor's restaurant! Imagine being surrounded by PRIDE memorabilia and being entertained by Igor himself?

I figured Igor would be pretty mangled after such a long career. It's awesome to see he is still training and in decent shape. Still strong.

Thanks for the vid. Full English subtitles would be nice. I'd like to understand what he's saying.

frig yeah, that shirt makes it that much cooler

I love Igor, will watch even though I wont understand at all.

Ice Cold I will be watching this once I get some time for sure . Nice find .

Tears of joy.
Thank you so much OP.
Igor still looks like a wrecking ball.

@20:32
Summary of The Segment where Igor’s First Trainer - Oleg Nicolaiavicha

I became Full Contact Karate Champion in 1991. Shortly thereafter, Igor became my student. He was about 18 years old and had two prior amateur boxing matches. For the next three years we competed in Kickboxing and Full Contact Karate. When Kickboxing fell out of favor (the money wasn't there) Igor approached me and told me about an no holds barred competition taking place in the Kharkov Circus. I have seen such fights before and I told Igor that I am very against it because back then there were hardly any rules and people fought with bare fists. There was also no clear judging standards. Igor insisted and competed in the tournament, taking 2nd place. Back then we simply did what we knew. We didn't know how to grapple. Back then, we lacked any specific MMA training methodologies. It was just that our Soviet school of boxing and kickboxing was developed at a high level. We did everything to prevent competitors from taking us down.

Funny Story: Igor skipped a few training sessions with an important tournament coming up. When he came in, I confronted him about this. I asked him how did he expect to win when he isn't training properly. He told me that he was actually training. I asked him how. He said that his grandmother planted a bunch of beets in her yard and it was time to harvest them. He parked his car some distance away from the yard and opening the trunk. He would snatch up the beets from the ground and throw them into the trunk quickly with a punching motion with both hands in turn. So, after Igor competed in that tournament and knocked his opponent out, we explained to everyone this new training methodology. We were laughing but I think the others took us seriously.

i beg you guys, please someone fix some subtitles.

Thanks TS, I eagerly await the day somebody subtitles this. Good to see that Igor is doing well for himself in his post fight career. And Igor rocking that Yoda shirt is epic

Back