Reports about bad ads should include the following:

1. Location/Country
2. Device
3. Browser
4. Company/product of ad.
5. A screen shot if possible,
6. Brief description of how the ad is a problem.
7. Page/Pages affected
8. Date and Time of occurrence.

Refer to the instructions for your device on how to take screen shots

Ignore function improvements.

Discussion in 'Support' started by flanellograf, May 14, 2014.

1. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

Is it possible to make ignore actually ignore people, i.e. make their posts completely disappear from threads and to not get any reply notifications from them? While the way it is now is certainly better than nothing, it's still annoying when you get private messages from ignored people and if you have a lot of them on your list whole threads can be filled by "ignored" posts.

2. Wolveswithkeys

Wolveswithkeys something awful

How many people do you have on your ignore list?

3. Nostromo

Nostromo Guest

Whole threads filled by 'ignored' post?

So if we make them all disappear for you then you won't even be able to view the threads.

Is it really that much of a problem for you?

4. Flippant

Flippant silly twonk

Worried you're featured? LOL

5. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

There are thousands of posters, so that would hardly happen very often. Not that I really understand your point, since I practically still wouldn't be able to see the thread in question, as it will be filled by "empty" posts. And why is it a problem that I wouldn't see the thread? If it's completely filled by people I chose to ignore, I wouldn't wanna see it anyway. Anyway, I was just giving an example. I just don't find that the function is doing what is advertised, and I can't be the only one that feels that way?

It is enough of a annoyance so that I created a thread about it, yes.

6. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

Don't really see the relevance. I was just illustrating a possible scenario. The point is that if I wanna ignore people, I wanna ignore them and not just mute them and be made aware of their continued existence by getting reply notifications, etc.

7. Nostromo

Nostromo Guest

Okay, lets be serious here. The obvious thing to do is to just skip over posts of people you don't want to hear from who have quoted you. Blocking out a post completely would be akin to selectively deleting/hiding it on the basis of who was viewing it and who doesn't want to see it because they have that particular person or persons on ignore. Way too much trouble.

If you have that many people on ignore that you are annoyed by the PMs you are getting notifying you that those people you have chosen to ignore are quoting your posts then turn of the PM notification.

The whole purpose of a forum is to interact and exchange ideas with other people. You have the ability to pick and choose what forums, what threads, and what posts you read. We can't be expected to customize every thread and filter it's content based on every individuals preferences beyond the features that we already provide.

8. equus

equus Horse Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

don't you bring logic into this!

9. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

ask hunterscreed. I believe he blocks half of sherdog including me :cool:

10. Madmick

Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

I wish I could put some posters on ignore. Oh how I wish for that.

11. EGarrett

EGarrett Silver Belt

Ironically, OP is actually on my ignore list, and I would rather not see what he has to say nor that he's posted at all.

12. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

That makes no sense whatsoever. Why then even have an ignore function to begin with? I'm simply asking for it to do what is advertised/implied by the actual word, and the functionality I believe would be preferable for most people. Because right now it's not "ignore" but rather "mute". Or perhaps at least making the ignored post a bit more visibly unobtrusive? Turning quote notification off is not really an option, because the point of it is the very thing you mentioned; making the interaction and exchanging of ideas a lot easier.
    And I'm obviously talking about a forum wide change, or adding of forum functionality (if it exists, as a plugin or whatever), not that you personally should be going around customizing it on a per user basis.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  13. Nostromo

Nostromo Guest

flanellograf
    This message is hidden because flanellograf is on your ignore list.

14. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

Thanks, the feedback is much appreciated. Very gracious of you.
    I was just trying to make a suggestion that would improve the an illogical function, and likely be appreciated by a lot of users.

15. MortalWombat

MortalWombat Vombatus Sherdoggus

If you're using chrome, something like this might be handy

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...e-hi/ofknlcbgndkfidhnflccifbkmipcapnh/details

16. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

Now that's what I'm talking about.
    Thanks a bunch. :)
    Didn't even know that a chrome plugin was an option.
    Now if only there was something like that for the notifications. :icon_chee

EDiT: Hm, unfortunately it didn't work very well. Any thread I click on, is blank, and it was buggy in general.

17. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

I seemed to have found a script that does this:
    http://forumtweaks.tumblr.com/post/3667631993/better-ignore

The writer also makes a point as to why it is annoying, much what I was saying:
    "And then, to the right, there are links to view the post, or to remove that user from your ignore list. In a sense, this feature almost brings more attention to the very posts you were hoping to ignore in the first place!"

To make matters worse, in addition to that stub, you’ll still see any subsequent responses to those ignored posts (which can disrupt the flow of discussion) and you’ll also see any threads started by the ignored users.
    In short, the “ignore” feature is a good idea, but it’s not implemented well enough if your goal is to truly and effectively IGNORE an annoying user, and eradicate them from your forum experience."

18. Madmick

Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

19. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

The bolded part in the quote I previously posted put it nicely.
    Look, it's not a make it or break it function for me. I just thought it would be better for the function to be more comprehensive.