Ignorant comments

I'm not really inclined to disagree with his main point...MMA is a sport consisting of many martial arts...but it's not a martial art itself. I think.

Yea I agree with that but he's saying it to spite MMA and to bring it lower. What pissed me off is when he said MMA was a devolutionized version of boxing.

All martial arts are combinations of techniques from other styles.

Karate = Tuide + Kung Fu
TKD = Karate + Tae Kyon
Judo = 4 different branches of Jujitsu
Wado ryu = Karate + jujitsu
Japanese Karate =Okinawan Karate + Kendo / Judo philospohy
Jeet Kun Do = A whole bunch of things

That's kind of simplified, but arts don't come out of nowhere, its always a combination of things from existing sources.

And his ideas about it being a sport are misinformed... All the traditional styles have rules as well. Does he also think Kendo, Judo, Sumo, Sanshou, etc are not martial arts as well?

No wait, he said you should do Judo as a martial arts. But didnt't he say "hat else corresponds to the MMA conditions of no clothes but shorts, no obstacles, and a soft flat ground? As a sport, fine, but don’t tell me it’s a martial art. "? I guess MMA in a gi would be a martial art as the rest of those apply to Judo?

Isn't that the same site that hosted the article "Aestetics of Hate" by william grim?

i like how he proves boxing is less barbaric than mma by saying when you knock someone down you have to let them recover. and yet the ref can't step in and stop the fight, and it's essentially round after round of shots to the head. so many retired oxers with brain damage. is it really that hard to figure out?

I'm not even gonna read it. I don't need to because I'm sure I've read the same damn thing 50 times before.

The Truth Shall Set You Free: Why MMA is a joke, not Ultimate Fighting

Not specifically talking about BJJ, but thought it would be intresting to share. What are your thoughts about MMA?

The fact that you are asking this while posting this in a forum dedicated to MMA in its entirety is amusing.

While I would agree that judo, jujitsu, TKD, etc are more established as martial arts - and he brings a good point about how the more accepted street-defense techniques (biting, gouging, groin shots, etc) are illegal in MMA. However, to counteract his own argument, when's the last time someone got away with a nut shot in a boxing ring?

In the end, the entire argument can be ignored because this guy clearly misses the point of MMA - it's not self defense. It's not supposed to be a martial art. It is, purely in the sense of the word, a sport. Sure, it may be a little more violent and physical then, say, football or basketball or tennis, but it is a sport nonetheless.

As for the whole 'ideal fighting ground with no clothes" argument; umm... I dunno what experiences he's had, but I have been tripped on concrete (not even slammed!) and it hurt like a bitch. If it were up to me, I would avoid conflict on concrete altogether because it hurts. A lot.

I hope the teacher grading this kid's essay docked him points for contradicting himself.

So MMA is barbaric...

But he thinks the rules in MMA are limiting and most offenses, eye gouging and groin shots for example, should be employed in a fight.

Then we get to a section where after using a judo throw to get our opponent onto concrete, we curb stomp.

And to top it off this is posted on some type of religion site. Whoever wrote this has some conflicting viewpoints.

who gives a shit what it says?

seriously, why bother reading some dumb shit some random internet dumbass posted?

lets see, i could read some dumb shit to piss me off, or i could watch a tech video or go outside or watch girls having a pillow fight.

go post your stupid shit somewhere else.

the old ufc's were style vs style

then people started taking what they thought worked in different positions. now most people fight in a generic mma way.

i thought everyone knew this

The statements he makes are pretty much accurate, but he doesn't exactly explain what overall point he's trying to make. Something to the effect of

"MMA isn't a martial art because it's a sport, rather than an actual fight to the death."

I was really quite surprised how much less ignorant the article was than what I was expecting.

Hmmm, is this the arrival of TROLL ESSAYS??? Dum, Dum, Dum!

That guy is a TERRIBLE writer.

Some good points, some bad ones.

By his reasons for dismissing MMA as NOT a martial art, then boxing, wrestling, judo, BJJ, and many others are not a martial art either.

He dwells on the whole "wearing clothes" idea, even though that's a very minor point.

Later, he compliments judo for being an effective way to train self defense through sport, but he ignores that fact that the same could be said for any sport martial art, including MMA.

who gives a shit what it says?

seriously, why bother reading some dumb shit some random internet dumbass posted?

lets see, i could read some dumb shit to piss me off, or i could watch a tech video or go outside or watch girls having a pillow fight.

go post your stupid shit somewhere else.

High five!!!

Absolutely retarded article. The one guy that commented had it dead on, a trained mixed martial artist will destroy a regular person in a street fight 9 times out of 10.

Back