If you've ever been curious about how a movie is budgeted. . .

G

Guestx

Here's the full 79-page breakdown of the budget for M. Night Shyamalan's The Village (originally called The Woods):

Plenty of enlightening shit here. M. Night gets $7.2 million for story rights alone but, if I'm reading this right, only $230K to direct. 15 Year Old Boy on Stump walks away with $13K. Roger Deakins only gets $385K but the composer gets $1.2 million?

$184K on film stock. $20K on photocopies. $90K on cell phones?!

Fascinating shit. check it out.

EDIT: I guess you gotta click the little imgur logo in the upper left to go to the actual page.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive sat on a stump for much less than 13k

I'm going to have to put off looking at this, but as a pretty big fan of both movies and data, thanks for posting it.

I'm going to have to put off looking at this, but as a pretty big fan of both movies and data, thanks for posting it.

I'm not sure I've ever heard someone refer to himself as a "fan of data" before. But I'm glad you're excited about this.

I'm not sure I've ever heard someone refer to himself as a "fan of data" before. But I'm glad you're excited about this.

trekkiesinvegas.jpg

James Newton Howard deserves that 1.2 mil.

The Village score is amazing

Few other tools we have for understanding reality is something we can so easily and objectively share with others; It builds a solid foundation for the shaky house that is the rest of our thoughts, speculations and discourses. I love seeing the numbers behind mostly everything.

Few other tools we have for understanding reality is something we can so easily and objectively share with others; It builds a solid foundation for the shaky house that is the rest of our thoughts, speculations and discourses. I love seeing the numbers behind mostly everything.

We are quite the opposite in that regard. Throw a bunch of numbers at me and my eyes immediately glaze over.

But is it 3x more amazing than Deakins' beautiful cinematography?

Hard to answer that, apples & ohrangutangs. Deakins is brilliant.

The Village was JNH's 4th rodeo with M. Night though, so maybe he was getting that extra inside-circle scratch.

I wonder how much money I'd need to fund The Sherdog Movie.

Hard to answer that, apples & ohrangutangs. Deakins is brilliant.

It's a gorgeous movie. But the score is also great. So much came together to make that film what it is.

I just don't think a legend like Deakins should only be making 1/3 what the composer is making.

The Village was JNH's 4th rodeo with M. Night though, so maybe he was getting that extra inside-circle scratch.

I'd guess that has something to do with it.

Depends on if you go with pre-op trannies or post-op.

Just get a woman and a prosthetic penis. Probably cheaper and you don't have to worry about renting separate tranny toilets.

I'd like to see the napkin that Robert Rodriquez wrote the budget for "El Mariachi" on.

24k to drive the director around for 11 weeks. And Uber say they're the best paying driving jobs.

Last edited:
How much does he usually get paid for a movie? What do DPs make in general?

I'm actually not sure. I haven't seen that much info on DP earnings. But it should be equal, or should surpass, the composer. The visual look of the film is so important. If I had to choose, I'd say it's more important than the score frankly. Film is a visual medium first and foremost.

Here's the full 79-page breakdown of the budget for M. Night Shyamalan's The Village (originally called The Woods):

Plenty of enlightening shit here. M. Night gets $7.2 million for story rights alone but, if I'm reading this right, only $230K to direct. 15 Year Old Boy on Stump walks away with $13K. Roger Deakins only gets $385K but the composer gets $1.2 million?

$184K on film stock. $20K on photocopies. $90K on cell phones?!

Fascinating shit. check it out.

EDIT: I guess you gotta click the little exclamation point in the upper left to go to the actual page.

How'd you get this? @shadow_priest_x

Consider Howard created the music while Deakins had more supervision and instruction.

Back