If you're going to beat Jones, it's going be primarily with striking, not grappling.

EJRMAN513

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm gonna come out and say it, I thought DC was going to win. Never counted out Jones but I thought DC was going to be able to close the distance and rough him up whether it was with straight clinch work and wrestling positioning or whether it was dirty boxing. He did good with the dirty boxing but when it came down to technique and position, Jones almost outclassed the Olympian in the clinch and the takedown department.

Now with that said, after tonight although I'm now convinced a pure grappling style of fighting will not win a fight against Jones, I'm still not convinced he's unbeatable even in the slightest. When Cormier had energy and made it a point to strike on the inside, he roughed up Jones pretty good, which leads me to the Mauler.

Right now I think if anyone's going to beat Jones it is Gus(Cormier still has the potential and I expect improvements).

Gus obviously showed he has the striking offense to compete with Jones while his defense leaves more to be desired but he showed improvements in the Manuwa fight.

As far as grappling goes Gus is perfect. When he initiated it against Jones in their first affair it was purely for points and he didn't extend the grappling affair and let the fight go right back to striking. When Jones initiated a clinch on Gus, Gus didn't even think about trying to fight him there and got out of all of Jones clinch attempts almost immediately and went right back to striking. When Jones got the takedown in the fifth, Alex didn't try to play the guard game, he immediately went to wall walk and got right back up to a striking affair.

Overall if Gus can fight like he did last time against Jones, just with better striking defense(easier said than done obviously) then imo it's his fight to lose.

Yes, I agree for the most part. I have been underwhelmed with jones striking evolution. He is a big guy with solid wrestling who uses his range very well. You are not going to beable to take him down for 5 rounds but you can knock him out. Enter Gus.

Gus won last time anyways.

Yeah well.... Jones has faced the best strikers the world has to offer and he's beaten them all so far.

It's too bad we're stuck with such retarded judges who ooh and ahh at every fucking kick that jones throws. Truly pathetic and embarrassing.

Yeah, Jones has such awkward stand up because he's so lanky and unorthodox. He hasn't progressed in the striking department at all. No jab, no head movement, no combinations. He needs to really work on that

Jones' striking looked bad tonight. Yeah, he landed some shots, but I didn't come away thinking "oh man, I don't think anyone can beat him now..."

Not even being butt hurt. Seriously, he doesn't look unbeatable at all.

If anything, it looks like if you press him, he gasses quick. He looked visibily gassed by the 2nd round.

Jones' striking looked bad tonight. Yeah, he landed some shots, but I didn't come away thinking "oh man, I don't think anyone can beat him now..."

Not even being butt hurt. Seriously, he doesn't look unbeatable at all.

If anything, it looks like if you press him, he gasses quick. He looked visibily gassed by the 2nd round.

Jones looked like garbage. He impressed me only with his ability to wall and stall. I thought Cormier would be the one to be able to control against the fence, but alas, I was wrong.

Arguably the closest Jones has come to losing a fight (yea yea, Hamill) is Vitor jacking the fuck out of his arm in R1.

I've been saying this for a while... But the only problem is that Jones's length and reach pose huge problems for most fighters at 205 that want to strike.

This is why Gustafsson has the best shot against Jones. His build is so similar to Jones that it negates the advantage that Jones would normally enjoy against the majority of the 205lbs division.

You cant strike or grapple with him. Give it up Jones haters.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best way to beat Jones is elite striking and elite TDD. You don't need to grapple him, you need to deny his TD and impose your own striking. AG showed this, all someone needs to do is perfect it.

Not an easy task, I know, but I say as an honest Bones fan.

Agree. Although I believe a prime Couture would have found a way to beat Jones.

If AJ gets the shot, Jones better treat him like Rampage and keep as far away from him as possible.

Allowing Rumble to get in exchange range like he did with DC, wouldn't be smart at all.

I once thought the same thing about GSP until I saw Hendricks clinching with him and stuffing takedowns left and right.

There's a grappler out there somewhere that could put Jones on his back, and I think that's how he loses. Maybe not today, maybe not next year, but it would be a lot more legit way to lose than to simply get caught by a hard punch (cause that could happen to anyone)

Agree. Although I believe a prime Couture would have found a way to beat Jones.

I love Randy Couture but prime or prime+PEDS would still lose. If he couldn't get inside he would get dropped something fierce (Randy never had the best chin) and inside, I think he'd go down. If not actually getting taken down, then some of those inside elbows would do it.

When Jon leans up against you in the clinch, his legs are so far back that its almost impossible to grab him for a takedown. Alex with his long ass arms didnt seem to have this problem.

I once thought the same thing about GSP until I saw Hendricks clinching with him and stuffing takedowns left and right.

There's a grappler out there somewhere that could put Jones on his back, and I think that's how he loses. Maybe not today, maybe not next year, but it would be a lot more legit way to lose than to simply get caught by a hard punch (cause that could happen to anyone)

I agree, there MAY be that grappler out there, but after watching DC (an Olympian) fail miserably to take home down, I don't know how many others have a chance. I really think striking is where it's at.

And I don't think KOing JJ is the answer (I think JJ is a number of battles away from his chin failing him), you can simply out strike him and deny his TD's (as AG almost did). There's no shame in taking a decision from a dominant champ.

I love Randy Couture but prime or prime+PEDS would still lose. If he couldn't get inside he would get dropped something fierce (Randy never had the best chin) and inside, I think he'd go down. If not actually getting taken down, then some of those inside elbows would do it.

You're probably right. I just have a problem where everytime I watched a Randy fight, I was convinced he'd find a way to pull it off. Even against Machida I had talked myself into him bearing lyoto

Back