If you're going to award stripes, why not merit badges?

HomerPlata

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've not even thought this through, but so what :icon_chee

Dunno if anyone else was in the cub scouts when they were a kid, but you used to get little merit badges you could sew onto your top for stuff like tying knots or reading maps.

Since stripes are awarded to encourage the student to keep on going between proper belts, why not badges for specific skills too? For example, when you get proficient with catching triangles in rolling, you get the triangle badge.

I don't care what you think, I love the idea. :D

The idea of merit badges is completely laughable yet you made a compelling argument. I'm on board. I want my inverted guard level one badge.

Could you imagine what Gi's would look like in tournaments; especially the bigger ones. It'd be worse than a NASCAR uniform covered with so many different colored merit badges! lol

Could you imagine what Gi's would look like in tournaments; especially the bigger ones. It'd be worse than a NASCAR uniform covered with so many different colored merit badges! lol

Haha, not to mention your opponent could just take one look at all the badges on your gi and know what your game is like. If he sees a badge with a little picture of a guy throwing another guy for takedowns, he's going to pull guard right away

Why just for achievements? It would be helpful to see who's got the "spaz" badge or the "accidental erection" badge.

Lol, funny concept. My understanding is that the stripes simultaneously "inspire" the student, and more importantly serve to keep tabs on the student for the instructor time wise etc.

I wasn't sure if I was being serious or joking when I first thought of it, but having imagined a sleeve full of cool badges I'm 100% deadly serious now. Someone needs to make these badges.

I want gamer points for when I do cool shit on the mats. Is that too much to ask?!

Back