If you're an MMA fan

FlowchartRog

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How can you not love UFC 1?

For a bit of nostalgia, I rewatched UFC 1 and some other early UFCs, for the first time since I was a kid in the 90's - they still seem fucking exciting, even after all these years.

It's great that MMA has evolved in the manner it is, basically to a discipline in itself, but there was something special about the original run of UFCs - the style vs style nature of it, the sheer unknown factor, and lack of rules and regulations.

I often laugh at people who say MMA is more of a real fight than boxing - but original UFC rules and Pride rules undeniably were.

OK no eye gouging or biting - but headbutts allowed, groin shots allowed, kicks to the face of a downed opponent allowed, shots to the back of the head allowed and no rounds - all that is a game changer. I can't help but love how raw and mental early UFC was. The open weight nature too, seemed fun after all these years.

Seeing UFC legends like Don Frye come out to that classic UFC walk out tune is still goosebump inducing.

Put it this way, the very first UFC fight involved a sumo wrestler's teeth getting lodged into the foot of a 6'5 kickboxer, and one flying into the crowd, within about 20 seconds :D

Couldn't be a more appropriate start for the UFC.

method=get&s=teila-tuli-gerard-gordeau-gif.gif

<{JustBleed}>

And given Royce's success in the tournament, Jim Brown said it best with simply "Fighting's not what we thought it was".

My opinion back when I was a kid, and still now, is it was basically like an 80's martial arts film, like the sort of worldwide fighting tournament you'd see in those films - but real :D

Last edited:
I like UFC 3 most

It was confusing and ridiculous...i enjoy that

I thought this was going to be a thread about WMMA or Flyweights. Was ready for many replies reiterating that "Manlets bad, women boring".

The early shows are very entertaining, for all the wrong and right reasons.

I have fond memories of watching the early UFCs. I was in high school in the early 1990s & grew up watching boxing. We had never seen anything like this other than the movies. The brutality was amazing & I've been hooked ever since.

I have fond memories of watching the early UFCs. I was in high school in the early 1990s & grew up watching boxing. We had never seen anything like this other than the movies. The brutality was amazing & I've been hooked ever since.

Similar story for me. I've always been a huge boxing fan, but one day I walked into HMV as a kid and picked up UFC 1, and have been hooked ever since too.

I love watching early UFC events. They’re so bizarre

UFC 2 for me.

FlusteredAgonizingIbizanhound-max-1mb.gif

kab8vSw.gif

3268_ex.png
tumblr_nq5jfd8aDh1rofocqo1_400.gif

Having not see the early shows since the 90's, my most prominent memories were probably Pat Smith and Gary Goodridge.

Those elbows were brutal, and kind of stick in your mind. Remco's were no joke either, looking at that gif above ;)

You'd be surprised man, I have read some opinions on here dismissing and denigrating the early UFCs.

The level of disrespect, it's shameful.
Should have their Sherdog account revoked
Thats the real life kumite

Similar story for me. I've always been a huge boxing fan, but one day I walked into HMV as a kid and picked up UFC 1, and have been hooked ever since too.

My son has grown up watching MMA & loves it too. He's a teenager now. Looking forward to taking him to his first show.

How can you not love UFC 1?

For a bit of nostalgia, I rewatched UFC 1 and some other early UFCs, for the first time since I was a kid in the 90's - they still seem fucking exciting, even after all these years.

It's great that MMA has evolved in the manner it is, basically to a discipline in itself, but there was something special about the original run of UFCs - the style vs style nature of it, the sheer unknown factor, and lack of rules and regulations.

I often laugh at people who say MMA is more of a real fight than boxing - but original UFC rules and Pride rules undeniably were.

OK no eye gouging or biting - but headbutts allowed, groin shots allowed, kicks to the face of a downed opponent allowed, shots to the back of the head allowed and no rounds - all that is a game changer. I can't help but love how raw and mental early UFC was. The open weight nature too, seemed fun after all these years.

Seeing UFC legends like Don Frye come out to that classic UFC walk out tune is still goosebump inducing.

Put it this way, the very first UFC fight involved a sumo wrestler's teeth getting lodged into the foot of a 6'5 kickboxer, and one flying into the crowd, within about 20 seconds :D

Couldn't be a more appropriate start for the UFC.

method=get&s=teila-tuli-gerard-gordeau-gif.gif

<{JustBleed}>

And given Royce's success in the tournament, Jim Brown said it best with simply "Fighting's not what we thought it was".

My opinion back when I was a kid, and still now, is it was basically like an 80's martial arts film, like the sort of worldwide fighting tournament you'd see in those films - but real :D
No weight classes and he kicks the guys tooth out in the first fight. Kumite

Yo that kickboxer showed a great display of tdd there against that sumo wrassler.

I’m kinda pissed I didn’t learn about mma until I was 17 in 2001. Had to borrow all the tapes and catch up but been live ever since.

I often laugh at people who say MMA is more of a real fight than boxing

Youd be hard pressed to make anything resembling a credible argument for why MMA is not more of a real fight than boxing.

Is not the lack of rules and variety of techniques/options available for attacking the defining aspect of a real fight vs combat sports? In what way is boxing closer to that?

I get that you are a boxing fan, and Im not discussing boxing's legitimacy or effectiveness, only its distance from the concept of a real fight when compared to MMA.

You sound just like me. I graduated in '97 and grew up as the only kid I knew that liked boxing outside Mike Tyson and 'Punchout. I grew up watching tons of box and the 80's and 90' were amazing for it. So I was about 15 when I saw UFC 2 for the first time. Young people today can watch them online or on DVD but nothing can compare to those first ones watching what felt very underground and so incredibly new to the world at the time. They weren't the easiest thing to even find on PPV then with internet to hype it and no digital cable to find it on. PPV was wack as hell back then. I've been watching ever since and it is so cool to watch how much it has grown.

Back