If you would really rather see Tate vs Ronda you went too hardcore

I agree that fan demand should be number one. Who deserves what should be secondary (although usually the deserving ones also meet fan demand). The shitty ranking system is one reason for this, the other is simply watching fun fights and that's what the UFC should always put first.

Rousey/Holm doesn't apply to neither completely, as Nunes is a fun fighter who's more proven than Holm with the McMann win and the performance vs Cat, and Tate is more deserving, while Holly needs 2 fights against steadily increasing tests.

Beating Reneau & Pennington are the first steps in a transitional phase from regional to upper-level competition. The next ones could've been McMann & Nunes, and if you don't want to burn a contender replace Nunes with Bethe or Davis. Either way, Holm needs more experience in top-level women's MMA.

I would've went with Rousey/Nunes and have Tate rematch Cat. Rousey/Holm is a good, marketable fight, but it's too soon for Holm.

She hasn't found her range yet and her shootboxing is at a basic level (she either clinches or kickboxes, while Ronda's game is to transition from boxing to clinch grappling as soon as possible).

As for Holm's chances, her physical strength & balance has led to some good TDD against the middling competition she's faced, and led her to point-strike with volume and using her variety of moves to make her opposition defend and therefore drop decisions. She doesn't have big punching power, which would be the much-needed equalizer against a more skilled Rousey. With Holm's length, her footwork and pocket boxing won't help her against Ronda, but keeps her at a disadvantage when forced to throw down up close. So that leaves a high kick KO against an extreme pressure fighter - highly unlikely. Or somehow dance around for 5 rounds without getting taken down - less unlikely, but that's going from 90% to 80%, roughly put.

With an enormous gap in transitioning from one discipline to the next, this should look like a MMA fighter vs a boxer who hasn't mastered MMA (A 1st round sub).

There is zero "selling PPV's", business side justification for placing Holm in this fight instead of Miesha Tate. Holm isn't popular while Tate is wildly popular. There is no rivalry factor with Holm, while Tate/Rousey is a widely known wolf tickets rivalry. Holm hasn't had any memorable or impressive UFC appearances that would warrant them needing to strike while the iron is hot. They seem to be doing it soley so they can use the words "undefeated boxing champion" in the promotional materials. The fight will sell entirely and only because it's Ronda Rousey. The fact that it's Holm doesn't bring one additional buyer. But its worth noting that the last time they pulled something like this - putting in a challenger who wasn't popular and hadn't earned the fight just so they could use the words "undefeated Olympic medalist" - they produced Ronda's worst selling PPV.

Yea they're just going to make it like "wow, Ronda defeated a an undefeated boxing world champion"

They're marketing towards more marketing opportunities. Straight up pro-wrestling division.

I disagree with MANY of the UFCs decisions lately (Stitch, Reebok, etc.) but on this one they are right. If they booked the Tate Ronda fight they would lose all credibility as a fight promotion. The notion that title shots should be earned instead of granted has limits. This isn't the Olympics, its a PPV based entertainment company. If fights were free, it might be debatable, but as a fight fan, there is no way in hell I'd pay $60 to see Ronda fight Tate again, I wouldn't even waste time and money going to the bar. Ronda just reached the pinnacle of her career and the world's eyes are on her right now and her next fight, if booked right, could be the highest grossing ppv in years. To put her against someone she's beaten twice could hamper that momentum as it would certainly be brought up and questioned in all of the major talk shows and interviews she would do leading up to the fight. If you really wanted that fight you went too hardcore and need to reel yourself back in a little bit.

Yet youd pay that $60 to watch Rousey fight someone with no top 10 wins, no impressive wins, and no real upside or chance at all? At least Miesha puts up a fight.

Yet youd pay that $60 to watch Rousey fight someone with no top 10 wins, no impressive wins, and no real upside or chance at all? At least Miesha puts up a fight.

Tate put up a fight against ronda in their second fight the same way JDS put up a fight against Cain in their third one.

Exactly. At this point the UFC isn't showcasing the sport of wmma, it's showcasing the Ronda. You really gotta wonder how long the UFC keeps wmma around after she hangs em up.

I agree. WW died after GSP retired. HW died when Brock retired.

putting in a challenger who wasn't popular and hadn't earned the fight just so they could use the words "undefeated Olympic medalist" - they produced Ronda's worst selling PPV.

The last undeserving challenger was Bethe, $1 million + PPV buys.

I agree, the ufc has made and is making too many rematches, like Werdum vs. Cain, and Rousey vs. Tate 3 is a waste of time. Tate would make money on a 3rd fight, but other than that, I don't see any reason.

Just take the ufc to Laos and let her fight a man.

My god, this isn't hard to figure out.

Holly is going to lose. Whether it be because of her style or her lack of ufc experience. Then guess what?

Miesha gets that third crack anyway.

My take is that since Miesha rightfully earned her shot, will fight her regardless, & looks wonderful, do it now. In the mean time, Holly can improve not only her style in the octagon with another fight, but create buzz for herself.

If she won.

Still learning, and since you are criticizing, would you say that the rest is ok?

And this? Soft?

For someone with only a blue belt, you already act like a badass. :p

The softness wasn't directed at you, I meant TS sounds soft if he thinks it's too hardcore.
I think egenrally your English is good.

The softness wasn't directed at you, I meant TS sounds soft if he thinks it's too hardcore.
I think egenrally your English is good.

Sorry then, and agree about TS.

Also keep on practicing. :icon_chee

My god, this isn't hard to figure out.

Holly is going to lose. Whether it be because of her style or her lack of ufc experience. Then guess what?

Miesha gets that third crack anyway.

My take is that since Miesha rightfully earned her shot, will fight her regardless, & looks wonderful, do it now. In the mean time, Holly can improve not only her style in the octagon with another fight, but create buzz for herself.

If she won.
I get the feeling that the UFC is actively against a third fight between Tate and Rousey. My guess is they will keep booking Miesha Tate for tough fights hoping she finally loses one. then when she does that will be the excuse not to allow the fight. Eventually Tate will either lose or retire.

Another scenario: Miesha's contract comes up for renewal and they say "Ohh! But you lost two fights to Ronda so we are going to cut your pay by 50%" then when she refuses and either retires or goes to Bellator Dana starts talking about how he thought Tate was afraid of Ronda and she wanted out.

This is just how Zuffa works. They do most things based on what they think is best for them at the time and they will go to great lengths to get their way. It has become a bit of a circus.

tate is the jds to rousey's cain. or the big nog to her fedor.

Back