If you were running Bellator: What would you do differently?

They have been doing a great job building prospects.

They should keep their champions more active and the hype would build by itself once they start racking some wins.

Covid really did a number on them this year.

Move to japan or somewhere in Asia so a proper rule set for fighting could happen. Use a ring.

basically rip off pride to a T.

Put some marketing dollars behind your actual stars. I'll never understand why they have someone like Douglas Lima opening the MSG Card with a title defense, but you have old-timers Chael and Wanderlei battling in the main event. They had Lima and Chandler in two different title fights on that card but their "double main event" was the one mentioned above and Fedor vs Mitrione. Also, I know he's just crushing cans but they barely seem to market MVP. You think their youtube channel would be loaded with his KO's and quick fights, but basically they just have the one where Lima beat him. That's just to mention a few. They have talented guys, but they market them like s***.

Put some marketing dollars behind your actual stars. I'll never understand why they have someone like Douglas Lima opening the MSG Card with a title defense, but you have old-timers Chael and Wanderlei battling in the main event. They had Lima and Chandler in two different title fights on that card but their "double main event" was the one mentioned above and Fedor vs Mitrione. Also, I know he's just crushing cans but they barely seem to market MVP. You think their youtube channel would be loaded with his KO's and quick fights, but basically they just have the one where Lima beat him. That's just to mention a few. They have talented guys, but they market them like s***.

And where does most of that blame land at the feet of, Scott Coker

Nothing is going to change with Bellator until Coker is gone and probably Bellator being sold to group of investors looking to make it a profitable org that is true player in the MMA game and not being held by Viacom who looks at Bellator as cheap sports media content.

And where does most of that blame land at the feet of, Scott Coker

Nothing is going to change with Bellator until Coker is gone and probably Bellator being sold to group of investors looking to make it a profitable org that is true player in the MMA game and not being held by Viacom who looks at Bellator as cheap sports media content.

See I disagree a little bit. You could be right, and I could be very wrong, but I don't think Coker is to blame completely. I think he tries to do the best with what he has, and I think because of the limited top talents he has compared to say the UFC, he takes more of a boxing approach to creating fights.

Also, we have no idea what his budget is. Maybe Viacom doesn't allow much money for marketing. Also, they are moving to CBS Sports now, so maybe that will help. Deals like that are one of the things that makes Coker valuable.

That being said though, the little amount of marketing they do choose to do seems to be targeted at the wrong people. Prospects they market too fast or older stars from other organizations. They have several established solid talents that they choose to ignore, and I really don't understand what that is about. I think you're right that Viacom just sees them as cheap sports content, so I would maybe put most of my blame on them.

Oh and if I could add one more thing that I think would make Bellator better....pacing of the shows. My god they drag on forever with so much unnecessary filler.

Back