If you were Barao, how would you have dealt with Dilla's footwork?

if i were barao i would have been so well prepared that the footwork wouldn't have even been an issue. i'd have kept the belt, and remained dana's pick for #1 p4p fighter on the planet.

Punched a hole through his f**king chest.

Leg kicks no doubt. Tough to dance around like that when you're legs feel like Jello.

Let me guess, you've never sparred in any striking art before. I have. I've landed a lot of knees on my training partners. They don't like it but I never throw with 100% power. I do have big knees so it's probably a little easier for me to land those shots than most people but I know what works for me.

Ive had multiple muay thai fights thanks for asking.... and spamming a flying knee over and over would get you killed by anyone who has a clue about striking

I don't think it would have mattered. Barao got dropped and never regained his sense. It reminded me of when Couture dropped Big Timmah and he didn't regain his senses till the 5th round. The only real way to neutralize Dills footwork would have been to get him to the ground. But I guess he planned to stand and bang and never gave Dills the credit he deserved. I know I didn't.

I think Barao just got gun shy after being knocked down early in the fight. Which is fairly rational, because he was constantly one or two punches away from being knocked down again.

There were plenty of times where TJ Dillashaw would do some kind of crazy shuffle and Barao would just wait and see what happened. I think he started giving TJ too much respect.

TJ Dillashaw didn't dodge those backkicks like Neo in the Matrix, Barao threw them at the wrong moment. You either throw a backkick when your opponent is coming at you or moving directly away from you. Throwing a backkick at someone who's circling you is extremely hard. You throw circular kicks (e.g. roundhouse or spinning heel kicks) against someone circling you and throw straight kicks (e.g. teep, sidekick, back kick) against someone moving forwards and backwards in a straight line. You know why? Because the counter to a straight kick is lateral movement, and the counter to a circular kick is moving in a straight line towards or away from the attacker.

I also think Barao was focusing too much on power shots instead of feinting and disrupting TJ's movement. That probably had something to do with trying to recover from the vicious punishment he took early in the fight.

Barao's corner advised him to try to take TJ down, which I think was wrong for two reasons. First, Barao was gassed and trying to take down someone moving that much takes a huge amount of energy. Second, from a purely psychological perspective, you're basically telling your fighter that he's screwed, given that his whole camp was probably built around the premise that he would be the better striker. It would have been better to try and clinch with TJ and make something happen up against the fence, since TJ was beating him at range. His muay thai could have beat TJ's boxing from the clinch, and TJ looked in no hurry to take Barao down anyway.

If Barao had Aldo's leg kick power TJ couldn't have dance around more than 2 rounds.

I'd have tried to hit him really, really hard.

You're not going to get many informed opinions asking that question here, but you'll get lots of bro science.

Let me guess, you've never sparred in any striking art before. I have. I've landed a lot of knees on my training partners. They don't like it but I never throw with 100% power. I do have big knees so it's probably a little easier for me to land those shots than most people but I know what works for me.

I lost it.

Barao's corner advised him to try to take TJ down, which I think was wrong for two reasons. First, Barao was gassed and trying to take down someone moving that much takes a huge amount of energy. Second, from a purely psychological perspective, you're basically telling your fighter that he's screwed, given that his whole camp was probably built around the premise that he would be the better striker. It would have been better to try and clinch with TJ and make something happen up against the fence, since TJ was beating him at range. His muay thai could have beat TJ's boxing from the clinch, and TJ looked in no hurry to take Barao down anyway.

I disagree,

I think the TDs would have been a good idea, even if he doesn't get him down it would force TJ to be more cautious standing.

TJ went 0 from 3 for TDs, and yet I believe these played an important role for TJ.

Leg kicks.

This.

A man cannot move when his legs have been taken from him.

Any corner man with a speck of intelligence would have told Barao, after the first, to attack the legs, constantly, over and over again.

But that didn't happen. And, a man lost his belt.

Nova Uniao were always good at using leg kicks to nullify their opponents footwork, which is what surprised me last night. I was surprised Barao didn't kick the shit out of Dillishaw's legs. He actually landed a few, but stopped after getting dropped and almost finished. He also never shot for a take down...

This.

A man cannot move when his legs have been taken from him.

Any corner man with a speck of intelligence would have told Barao, after the first, to attack the legs, constantly, over and over again.

But that didn't happen. And, a man lost his belt.

Absolutely. Barao's only hope was to time his lateral movement with leg kicks. He had no chance of landing shots to the head consistently (he did land some). Once he slowed TJ down, he would've been forced to stand in front of Barao, that's where his Muay Thai comes into play.

Step the lead leg outside tj's lead leg and lead with straight punch and follow with power kicks.

I blame Weidman. Ever since his "iron shin" parry was shown, Brazilians have been hesitant to throw leg kicks.

Back