If you want to tell your casual friend what a fluke win means which finish you will show him ?

oBQkw7MGlgc1YakuY7YVQs9MhGfuwAlBnH73WjZeJHzI6vwt7lBCb8viovIDYI8sKsJRA-I8bdZpElzTGucqq1qUqP0s8EcuSNEMI8vH7lnonhunBdTcVKVNXGvIfHRV-W5vc5jkH0Urickc-KwBxZoWmw8iFTU=w400-h225-nc

Woodley/Condit

yes, woodley WAS winning the fight before the injury, but to pretend the injury wasn't a fluke is pretty ridiculous

GSP and Moose both proved that the first fight was a fluke . Colby didnt prove it in a rematch lik the other 2 because that bum warlley alves is way down in the rankings while colby is a world champ

colby is not a world champion...has he beaten woodley yet? then he's not a world champion...interim champ, only means your the number #1 contender...

I think only robbery of the year contenders (or winners) qualify as fluke wins. There takes a lot of skill to land a move on somebody high-level. No matter how much people wanna act like that's not true, at a high-level in the sport, you don't lose definitively to people who aren't very skilled, at least at what they beat you with. It doesn't take skill to win a contentious decision because you got some judges that have no idea what they're looking at.

So Miguel Torres vs. Demetrious Johnson, Takanori Gomi vs. Diego Sanchez, Ross Pearson vs. Diego Sanchez, Urushitani-Moura (that's probably the worst robbery of all time; Urushitani won a 29-28 split despite spending like 9 minutes-- two rounds-- in Moura's mount), maybe Kawajiri-Melendez I-- probably the most entertaining fight I listed. I'm just going off fights I've seen. Fights like that are flukes.
BJ Penn vs. Frankie Edgar I might be considered in this category, but considering Edgar definitively beat him twice afterwards, I don't think you can say that. It's not even like BJ clearly won the first fight, so you couldn't say it's a robbery of the year. A close, contentious decision that a fan-favorite lost that a lot of fans disagree with isn't the same thing as a robbery of the year.

I am very concerned that so many people have no clue what the word 'fluke' means because NONE of the examples on the first page were flukes....

If a trained fighter throws a punch and it lands, it is not a fluke. He purposely threw the punch and it landed.
If a trained fighter goes for a sub and gets it, it is not a fluke. He purposely submitted his opponent.

A fluke win is something completely unintentional that can't be predicted, not the result of a fighter making an attempt to win

examples of fluke wins:
Matt Hughes over Carlos Newton - Newman choked Hughes out but got knocked out when his head hit the mat... Hughes woke up and was told he had won
Mark Coleman over Shogun 1 - shoguns arm broke when he fell
Maia over Dong Hyun Kim - Kim had a random muscle spasm or something from a takedown

** regarding Wiedman over Silva 2 - Silva's leg snapped on a checked kick (this one is iffy because Wiedman checked the kick on purpose, and we know its possible although rare to beak leg doing this)**

Those of you posting fighters beating opponents out with clean punches and guillotines need to get off the internet and buy a dictionary - maybe go back to school

Last edited:
I would tell him there is no such thing as a fluke win, but explain that the reason MMA doesn't roll rematches anymore is because of idiot casual fans who don't think they are important.

Easy peasy:
Gegard Mousasi 10-8s Uriah Hall in 1st round of Japan fight then Hall catches Gegard on button with spinning kick that Mousasi actually ducks right into(at start of 2nd round)....he stumbles back and Hall then catches him with devastating knee on the button (and still can't put the titanium chinned Armenian out) He follows Gegard to ground and gets tko- all of this in a 13 second time span.
Fast forward a couple of years later and Mousasi hadn't loss since ,gets into top 4 of world THEN PUTS HIS BALLS ON TABLE and actually backtracks when Uriah's headlining spot opponent gets hurt in Norhern Ireland and Gegard takes fight on short notice after breaking top 4 mainly to shut everyone up about that loss cause he and anyone with a normal brain knew it was a fluke -----........ as he ,of course, validates by making easy work of Hall 3 and a half minutes into 1st round with a mollywhopping stoppage.

So- let's review: Gegard and Uriah spend 9 minutes and 13 seconds in octagon over 2 fights.Mousasi 10-8s Hall for 9minutes including a stoppage while Uriah gets the better/lucky / FLUKE 13 seconds of Gegard to start that second round of Japan fight where , again- flukishly-, Mousasi actually ducks into devastating spinning kick and then while noodle legged gets a flying knee to the chin where he finally falls and Hall follows him down and scores tko (still couldn't put him out).

If thats not a fluke then there is no flukes.

how the hell is hall's win against mousasi a fluke? im a huge fan of mousasi but he got caught clean by hall's kick. mousasi won the 2nd fight but i wouldnt call the first fight a fluke.

I would say GSP/Serra 1 and 2 would prove your point....or show any Houston Alexander win followed by his fight with Kimbo

Then by your logic there are no such things as flukes in MMA, since in every case you could say well the guy threw a punch with the intent of hurting his opponent and that’s what happened.

By my definition a fluke is a highly unlikely outcome that if the experiment was repeated over and over it would almost certainly never happen that way again.

So yeah, if that’s not a fluke then nothing in MMA was ever a fluke.

By your logic any fight that ends in a one punch ko in the second exchange is a fluke, compare them on a case to case basis, he knew what was coming and set up perfectly for it = no fluke.

A shin breaking on a checked kick is a fluke, it's fighting, anything can happen, anyone can beat anyone on any given night, it's not as simple as fighter X is better than fighter Y so fighter X will win every single time, fighter Y can set something up perfectly and win.

Poor stand-up Nino Elvis KO's Saku. Then the rematch...

Newton triangling Hughes semi unconscious, causing Hughes to slam him to the ground and win the fight.

Mousasi got a fluke win in a fight he was on his way to winning against Weidman.

I do find it funny that Hall/Mousasi 1 is always considered one of the biggest flukes of all time, but Mousasi/Jacare 1 is considered a legit win

colby is not a world champion...has he beaten woodley yet? then he's not a world champion...interim champ, only means your the number #1 contender...
Hes not even interim champ.
He got stripped lmao.

Back