If You Want to be Happy/ Sad, Watch This...

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Saturday Night’s Main Event, November 1989.

So many dead legends... and is used to be soooooooooooooo much better.

The business was a lot better back then.

Mean Gene, Jesse, Bobby, Slick, Vince, Andre, Warrior, Hulk, Boss Man, Dusty, Perfect, Rude, Snake, Honkey, Savage, Genius... all those guys were fucking ENTERTAINING... and it had nothing to do with working a crazy style.

Wrestlemania 7 is up there for the major show that’s depressing to watch now. The Red names have passed on.

Koko B Ware defeats Brooklyn Brawler

Rockers defeat Haku and Barbarian with Bobby Heenan

Texas Tornado defeats Dino Bravo

Nasty Boys defeat Hart foundation (Hart and Neidhart)

Jake Roberts defeats Martel

Taker defeats Snuka

Warrior defeats Savage(Sherri and Liz)

Tenryu and Kitao defeat Smash and Crush with Fuji

Bossman defeats Perfect

Earthquake defeats Greg Valentine

Hawk and Animal defeat Paul Roma and Hercules

Virgil w/piper defeats Ted Dibiase

Mountie defeats Tito

Hogan defeats Slaughter

Also on the show, referee Joey Marella, Gorilla Monsoon, Lord Alfred Hayes and Gene Okerlund

Sargent Slaughter was on Sam And Jim a few days ago it was pretty dope listening to him talk about some of his history. Yall can find it on YouTube if interested

The business side, yes. But, you have to admit that the physical talent of these guys today is light years ahead of what it was back then.

WAR RICOCHET

Wrestlemania 7 is up there for the major show that’s depressing to watch now. The Red names have passed on.

Koko B Ware defeats Brooklyn Brawler

Rockers defeat Haku and Barbarian with Bobby Heenan

Texas Tornado defeats Dino Bravo

Nasty Boys defeat Hart foundation (Hart and Neidhart)

Jake Roberts defeats Martel

Taker defeats Snuka

Warrior defeats Savage(Sherri and Liz)

Tenryu and Kitao defeat Smash and Crush with Fuji

Bossman defeats Perfect

Earthquake defeats Greg Valentine

Hawk and Animal defeat Paul Roma and Hercules

Virgil w/piper defeats Ted Dibiase

Mountie defeats Tito

Hogan defeats Slaughter

Also on the show, referee Joey Marella, Gorilla Monsoon, Lord Alfred Hayes and Gene Okerlund
Still my fave WM.

Warrior/Savage is one of the most underrated WM matches imho.

As a kid, I used to wait until 11:30 every Saturday night to see if Main Event was on instead of SNL. Once a month I was super excited. It was some of the only non-jobber squash matches you could see on television at the time. I'd love to see some statistics on the average life expectancy of pro wrestlers. I hope it gets longer now that wrestlers are more likely to be off the juice and they get to take time off for injuries.

The business side, yes. But, you have to admit that the physical talent of these guys today is light years ahead of what it was back then.

WAR RICOCHET
I dunno about that. I think Savage, Steamboat, Michaels, Dynamite, etc. were as athletic as anyone on the roster today. Obviously a guy like Riccochet is an outlier, but in general, I think there were just more big behemoths backs then and more guys in the 180-215 range now.

I dunno about that. I think Savage, Steamboat, Michaels, Dynamite, etc. were as athletic as anyone on the roster today. Obviously a guy like Riccochet is an outlier, but in general, I think there were just more big behemoths backs then and more guys in the 180-215 range now.

Off the top of my skull...
  • Ricochet
  • Mustafa Ali
  • Balor
  • Kofi
  • Styles
  • Rollins
  • Kalisto
  • Hardy
Savage, Steamboat, etc. weren’t even remotely close in athleticism as the aforementioned performers. Not to mention the steroid epidemic back in the 80s / 90s.

I think The Rockers was as “acrobatic” or athletic as you got back in the 90s.

WAR RICOCHET
ricochet is a great acrobat. and it is lame as hell watching everyone try to make sure they are in the right spots so that he doesnt get hurt doing his choreographed moves. not saying you dont need to do that to make sure everyone is safe, just saying it is so obvious when he is in there that he is just doing spots. i will take jake the snake over that any day

ricochet is a great acrobat. and it is lame as hell watching everyone try to make sure they are in the right spots so that he doesnt get hurt doing his choreographed moves. not saying you dont need to do that to make sure everyone is safe, just saying it is so obvious when he is in there that he is just doing spots. i will take jake the snake over that any day
If WWE truly had their finger on the pulse, as they claim they do, Ricochet could be both. A high flyer, who would have one, or two high spots per match, in order to protect his health, and he can have a great story built around him.

Off the top of my skull...
  • Ricochet
  • Mustafa Ali
  • Balor
  • Kofi
  • Styles
  • Rollins
  • Kalisto
  • Hardy
Savage, Steamboat, etc. weren’t even remotely close in athleticism as the aforementioned performers. Not to mention the steroid epidemic back in the 80s / 90s.

I think The Rockers was as “acrobatic” or athletic as you got back in the 90s.
Athleticism isn’t just about doing flips. It’s also about fluidity, smoothness, grace, ease of motion, etc. And speed and power factor in as well, of course.

If you don’t think Savage and Steamboat were notably athletic, then we are thinking of two different definitions of the word.

Athleticism isn’t just about doing flips. It’s also about fluidity, smoothness, grace, ease of motion, etc. And speed and power factor in as well, of course.

If you don’t think Savage and Steamboat were notably athletic, then we are thinking of two different definitions of the word.
Savage/Steamboat typical match = strength test to start, 1-2 body kicks, 4-5 head punches, sleeper hold to stall, a handful of turnbuckle throws, possibly sneak in a move from the top rope, another headlock to stall/catch breath, 2-3 body slams, end with finisher.

You simply can’t compare that to today’s productivity in the ring from even the mid-carders, not to mention guys like Rollins, Brock, Reigns, etc.

Savage/Steamboat typical match = strength test to start, 1-2 body kicks, 4-5 head punches, sleeper hold to stall, a handful of turnbuckle throws, possibly sneak in a move from the top rope, another headlock to stall/catch breath, 2-3 body slams, end with finisher.

You simply can’t compare that to today’s productivity in the ring from even the mid-carders, not to mention guys like Rollins, Brock, Reigns, etc.
The style is different. They do a lot more. That does NOT automatically mean they are more athletic or are “better” workers. A lot of it has to do with modern crowds being desensitized. And also, tbh, a lot of the shit guys do today looks dumb as hell. You see sloppy shit ALL the time in today’s spot fests. You never saw Savage, Steamboat, or Hart do anything that looked sloppy or silly. Everything they did LOOKED like a million bucks. That takes athleticism.

Now, of course, there are legitimately great workers today, too. Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, etc.

Last edited:
If WWE truly had their finger on the pulse, as they claim they do, Ricochet could be both. A high flyer, who would have one, or two high spots per match, in order to protect his health, and he can have a great story built around him.
yea, probably. i mean shawn michaels could fly, but that wasnt all he was. hell even eddie guerrero was more than just a high flyer. but all these new guys just come in and do spots. oh, so and so is on the floor, time to jump out of the ring and have them act like outfielders trying to catch a baseball. i mean, it interests me not at all because like i said, they literally look like they are just doing spots and not even pretending to be in a fight

The style is different. People do more. That does NOT automatically mean they are more athletic or are “better” workers. A lot of it has to do with modern crowds being desensitized. And also, tbh, a lot of the shit guys do today looks dumb as hell. You see sloppy shit ALL the time in today’s spot fests. You never saw Savage, Steamboat, or Hart do anything that looked sloppy or silly. Everything they did LOOKED like a million bucks. That takes athleticism.

Now, of course, there are legitimately great workers today, too. Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, etc.
You’re pretty much making my point. The top performers then (Savage, Steamboat, etc.) have nothing on today’s top performers (Styles, Rollins, etc.).

The problem is the stories. Hulk brought this up in an interview, where he states that feuds don’t get built up well and/or last very long.

yea, probably. i mean shawn michaels could fly, but that wasnt all he was. hell even eddie guerrero was more than just a high flyer. but all these new guys just come in and do spots. oh, so and so is on the floor, time to jump out of the ring and have them act like outfielders trying to catch a baseball. i mean, it interests me not at all because like i said, they literally look like they are just doing spots and not even pretending to be in a fight
I completely agree with the habitual her gh-spots. I’d love for WWE to work on their storytelling, and forego the 15-20 highspots per match. High-flyers like Ricochet can preserve their bodies, instead of trying to compensate for subpar booking.

I completely agree with the habitual her gh-spots. I’d love for WWE to work on their storytelling, and forego the 15-20 highspots per match. High-flyers like Ricochet can preserve their bodies, instead of trying to compensate for subpar booking.
yea, storytelling is horrible. i am not really invested in anyone. and all these new nxt guys coming in basically out of nowhere. i never watch nxt so i dont give a shit about any of them.

yea, storytelling is horrible. i am not really invested in anyone. and all these new nxt guys coming in basically out of nowhere. i never watch nxt so i dont give a shit about any of them.
Actually, NXT is 10x better the product RAW or Smackdown is. NXT focuses on the wrestling and showmanship vs. worrying about what flavor-of-the-month celebrity they can get on their shows/PPVs to boost their ratings.

I’m still not 100% on board with this Ronda thing. She may be athletic, and have quite the resume, but she will never fit the pro wrestling mold.

Back