If you think GSP is the GOAT...

That's fine, but he's not the P4P GOAT
Fighter with the strongest record in what many people consider to be the best division in MMA. Also very arguably the man with the deepest skill set in MMA history. Also beaten the most top 10 opponents and beat every man he has been in the cage with.

Seems like a pretty strong case for GOAT to me.

Fedor is still the GOAT HW but his comp simply wasn't up to par to be on the level of GSP and I dare say Werdum is two or three goods win away from passing Fedor at HW. Fedor also clearly wasn't as skilled as GSP or Anderson for that matter.

GSP is the GOAT and Lewis is not. They're 2 different sports and not at all connected.

I consider GSP one of the best ever. Easily the WW GOAT, but the latter half of his career makes it impossible for me to consider him the GOAT.

He went 7 straight fights without a single finish. His finish rate post-Serra dropped to 25% and one of those was BJ Penn quitting between rounds.

It wasn't just that he fought good competition (which he did), but he completely abandoned any attempt to finish a fight. He was content to work his jab, the occasional kick and the best top control in the UFC to win rounds and points instead of fights.

Here's someone really bursting into the mainstream with her unparalleled accomplishments.

Ronda Rousey is 12-0 with 100% finish rate and her entire career fits inside of 15 minutes. That's 12 finishes in roughly 15 minutes.

GSP ended his career with 175 consecutive minutes with no finishes at all. In the same time span Ronda would have had **140** finishes.

Look at the finish rates and the spectacle of other goat contenders like Fedor, Silva and Jones to see what separates GSP from the best of the best.

Well said.

Do you think if you took away one of those offences he would still be in the running?

Is it the sum of both offences?

Is not avenging those losses alone enough to kill his eligibility?

I don't know that the Weidman losses alone would have been enough. The cheating/BS excuse making definitely is.

Add the two together and I just can't even take him seriously as part of the conversation anymore.

Urm, quality of competition. You cannot compare Ronda to GSP. At all. She fights schlubs.

Also, 95% of those 175 minutes were DOMINANT. The no finish argument is a poor one.

You're actually going to argue that maintaining positional control for 25 minutes while failing to finish someone is MORE dominant than consistently finishing fights in under a minute?

How does that make sense?

Nothing is as dominant as forcing the other fighter to quit because you sunk in a submission, battered them until the referee intervened or knocked them the fuck out.

Landing some strikes before taking someone down and riding them for 15 minutes is not as dominant as finishing.

You're actually going to argue that maintaining positional control for 25 minutes while failing to finish someone is MORE dominant than consistently finishing fights in under a minute?

How does that make sense?

Nothing is as dominant as forcing the other fighter to quit because you sunk in a submission, battered them until the referee intervened or knocked them the fuck out.

Landing some strikes before taking someone down and riding them for 15 minutes is not as dominant as finishing.

That wasn't my argument at all.

Quality of competition man. You just can't compare Ronda's MMA resume to GSPs. It's practically a different sport.

If you can't understand GSPs dominance... if you really call that "riding", you don't know the sport you're watching. It's as simple as that.

You must also think Lennox Lewis is the GOAT too right?

He retired as a champ, he has beaten every man he has faced...

Just sayin...

My two favourite fighters from both sports how did you know? Neither are the GOATs though

The single most important aspect in gauging the greatness of any athlete, in any combat sport, is winning. It's not excitement, or finishes, or popularity but winning. GSP is unquestionably ahead of Fedor and Anderson. He wasn't as exciting, but he has a better resume. Period. He beat 3 generations of top WWs, avenged his only two losses, and went out on top.

The single most important aspect in gauging the greatness of any athlete, in any combat sport, is winning. It's not excitement, or finishes, or popularity but winning. GSP is unquestionably ahead of Fedor and Anderson. He wasn't as exciting, but he has a better resume. Period. He beat 3 generations of top WWs, avenged his only two losses, and went out on top.

So true, especially the 3 generations part, those who criticize him for not cleaning out a 4th generation of contenders are haters.

Bullshit.

Go ahead and list who you think the other GOATs in other sports are and then ask yourself if they went beyond just winning.

the list actually goes JBJ, GSP, Fedor and once you go top 3 the others arent really worth mentioning

qft. though aldo is worth mentioning as well. fwiw, imo you almost have to assess the p4p mma goat via weightclass. heavier the class, more likely the chances of losing. so fedor, bones, gsp, then aldo. though technically gsp was/is the most well rounded fighter i've seen.

as far as lennox goes, he's obvisously not goat but he's definetly one of the best HW's all time. boxing has been around so long that listing a goat becomes unrealistic due to the nature of the sport evolving. does anyone think that if lewis had a time machine he'd get his ass handed to him by Ali or rocky? isnt wladmir closing in on most of Ali's and rocky's records? obvisouly not rocky's undefeated record but most all other HW records. Wladmir > Ali but ali talked a lot shit, so that makes him better i guess

Back