If you think GSP is the GOAT...

Didn't lennox Lewis also retire after a bullshit decision went his way?

This GOAT obsession is one of the stupidest things in the sport.

No because boxing has a list of guys with similar or better accomplishments. Rocky Marciano retired undefeated. Mma doesn't have that yet. And GSP isn't the goat. Fedor is. Then Anderson.

Anderson has disqualified himself as potential GOAT at this point.

Weidman beat him twice and he got caught cheating. He's done.

I'm not a GSP fan, but I'm not a hater either. GSP, along with Jones, are the GOATS when considering their competition and accomplishments.

No because boxing has a list of guys with similar or better accomplishments. Rocky Marciano retired undefeated. Mma doesn't have that yet. And GSP isn't the goat. Fedor is. Then Anderson.

Rocky Marciano had a loss and was a dirty fighter.

GSP isn't the GOAT imo but who cares? He's forever a legend of the sport.

Lenox was a HW.

GSP was a WW.

Lenox is a boxing GOAt candidate.

GSP is the MMA WW GOAT. Period.

Holy crap, I actually agree with Kikikhan for once.

Well said my friend, and I laugh at TS who thinks it's some sort of shame to be mentioned in the same breath as Lennox Lewis in terms of greatness.

Anderson has disqualified himself as potential GOAT at this point.

Weidman beat him twice and he got caught cheating. He's done.
Do you think if you took away one of those offences he would still be in the running?

Is it the sum of both offences?

Is not avenging those losses alone enough to kill his eligibility?

Fedor then GSP then Jones then Anderson.

People who cheat to barely beat pot smoking vegans who moved up a weight class for the fight are automatically behind guys that didn't pop on drug tests.

And cocaine is a helluva drug.

Anderson
Fedor
GSP
Jones

If this was who is the best cheater to barely beat pot smoking vegans a weightclass below themselves, he might win, otherwise lol

Flaccid Anderson is #4 at this point behind Cokey Jones.

The TS presents a good example of highly flawed logic.

GSP and Lewis do not have the same competition so why should they rank the same just because they have some similarities (there's certainly differences as well) with each other? It makes no sense whatsoever. There's even enough difference between MMA and boxing for all such comparisons to be flawed.

He is the GOAT because he has the best resume. Avenged all losses, held the belt from 2008 until retiring in 2013. Beat almost everyone in the process.

No disrespect to Fedor or Anderson who are both out and out legends of MMA and the best in their divisions histories , I just think GSP has a better career.

You must also think Lennox Lewis is the GOAT too right?

He retired as a champ, he has beaten every man he has faced...

Just sayin...

Um, just based on those criteria, how do you put Lewis ahead of Marciano, who not only retired as champ, but undefeated.

The point being that those aren't the criteria used to argue for GOAT, in MMA or boxing. For that matter, the usual GOAT in boxing is Sugar Ray Robinson.

Um, just based on those criteria, how do you put Lewis ahead of Marciano, who not only retired as champ, but undefeated.

The point being that those aren't the criteria used to argue for GOAT, in MMA or boxing. For that matter, the usual GOAT in boxing is Sugar Ray Robinson.

I'm no putting him ahead of Marciano, you didn't understand my post.

Everytime we talkin bout boxin a white man has to bring up Rocky Marciano

Boxing has a longer history and a lot of nostalgia involved.

I think Lewis's career is on par with Ali's.
Nostalgic fans, fans who have grown up being told by their elders that Ali was the greatest ever, older fans, would never accept that Ali has a rival for HW GOAT in boxing.
I'm not saying one is clearly better than the other; they're comparable, that's all.

Hell, I know nostalgic modern baseball fans who come up with all kinds of silly reasons why Hank Aaron is still the home run king even though his record has been beaten.

He is the GOAT because he has the best resume. Avenged all losses, held the belt from 2008 until retiring in 2013. Beat almost everyone in the process.

No disrespect to Fedor or Anderson who are both out and out legends of MMA and the best in their divisions histories , I just think GSP has a better career.

People also discount a relatively obvious point.

The competition at 170lbs >> at 205 or HW. The selection of top athletes as the 'weight goes up' aren't in MMA.

As well, Fedor fought people like Hong Man Choi and Zulu. GSP did not *shrug*.

(and Ricco Rodriguez smashed Big Nog before Fedor did, but the Yakuza wasn't interested in the allowing that decision)

IMHO he was the best HW of HIS time. Be beat a lot of men and made it look pretty easy.

I consider GSP one of the best ever. Easily the WW GOAT, but the latter half of his career makes it impossible for me to consider him the GOAT.

He went 7 straight fights without a single finish. His finish rate post-Serra dropped to 25% and one of those was BJ Penn quitting between rounds.

It wasn't just that he fought good competition (which he did), but he completely abandoned any attempt to finish a fight. He was content to work his jab, the occasional kick and the best top control in the UFC to win rounds and points instead of fights.

Here's someone really bursting into the mainstream with her unparalleled accomplishments.

Ronda Rousey is 12-0 with 100% finish rate and her entire career fits inside of 15 minutes. That's 12 finishes in roughly 15 minutes.

GSP ended his career with 175 consecutive minutes with no finishes at all. In the same time span Ronda would have had **140** finishes.

Look at the finish rates and the spectacle of other goat contenders like Fedor, Silva and Jones to see what separates GSP from the best of the best.

Back