If You Play Guitar Get In here

Does your kid like blues? I don’t particularly care for John Mayer but his 2005 live album called “Try!” features Pino Palladino on bass, one of my favourite players.

She’s like 10 and not super into anything probably. Not sure if she’s even heard blues. She plays in a jazz band, which is kind of similar I guess. If you have any specific recommendations I’ll ask her to look.

Wow, That’s a really great cover.
I’ve been following that guy for a few years. His website and YouTube channel are all Cliff Burton. He’s written out good sheet music for tons of Metallica songs on his website.

She’s like 10 and not super into anything probably. Not sure if she’s even heard blues. She plays in a jazz band, which is kind of similar I guess. If you have any specific recommendations I’ll ask her to look.

That’s awesome man. If she’s playing dream theatre at 10 years old then she’s got some serious chops already.

That’s awesome man. If she’s playing dream theatre at 10 years old then she’s got some serious chops already.
She's smart, surrounded by lots of great musicians, really pro teacher, and tries to practices challenging stuff for at least an hour every day. That's a good recipe for a young person to get pretty good in a few years.

A lot of dream theater seems pretty hard. We listened through a bunch of songs, and she just started working on Panic Attack, which seems easier than a lot of them, but it still sounds pretty cool. She's been wanting to upload some videos to youtube. I might share some sometime in the future.

Anyone recommend some songs with cool bass lines for a young kid? Don't really like most Primus stuff. She has played through most good Metallica and RHCP songs. We recently discovered Dream Theater, which I had totally overlooked before. Some of their songs sound pretty cool.

Rancid actually has some bass stuff that a kid may like.

Haven been playing for nearly 20 years, think i have 10 guitars currently so far.

Always loved this version:

Damn.. Im 31 and have been playing since Im 13. I stopped playing seriously like 10 years ago (used to pick up the guitar occasionaly) and damn it has change a lot nowadays.

For instance.. there is a lot of virtuosos in Youtube. You dont have to search for the Michael Romeos, Michael Angelo Bation and Yngwies of the world (thanks God Yngwie is the most overrated guitarist ever) if you want to hear some good old shredding.

But on the other hand everybody play fast now.. it seems like they are racing. And no in a good way.
We need guys like Paul Gilbert that can make you move your head and shred at the same time.

This is a cool ass vid.. they did one in 2017 and another one in 2018:

But this one has much more feeling:

This girl does really good covers and has some interesting original content. Mostly prog stuff.

I used to play when I was a teen. Hadn't touched a string in a decade I bet. Been getting into some new music lately and it inspired me to dust off the old Epiphone. Plugged into the amp and nothing. Wiring is shot. I'm gonna take it to a tech this week and get it fixed.
tenor.gif

Played for over ten years now i think. Not particularly skillful as i've never followed a proper practice routine and never had any tuition. Almost no knowledge of music theory. Also not picked up a guitar for long periods of time in that ten years.

I work on a few music projects when i feel creative which isn't often. It can take me years to complete a song and others can be written in a day. Currently i've been working on a slightly more progressive Grindcore project and have been having a lot of success with ideas popping up like boners in adolescence.

Back