If You Own the Fighters, You Own the Results

Chesten_Hesten

Greatness isn't Stoked by Compliments.
@Gold
Reaction score
Extreme Fighting creator John Perretti talking on the difference between the UFC's idea of Match Making and his.

TimeStamped:

Is he Right?

Entire interview here: (It's quite good by the way, (I think)

Nice try but the fighters are independent contractors.

A lot of mumbo jumbo. He never really explains the difference between what he thought should be done versus what he was asked to do. And I might add, he did so "well" that his own organization lasted all of 3 years. smh. Somewhere Steve Coker is saying "hold my beer".

Extreme Fighting creator John Perretti talking on the difference between the UFC's idea of Match Making and his.

TimeStamped:

Is he Right?

Entire interview here: (It's quite good by the way, (I think)

I cant watch (at work) and TS failed to post any cliffs, so I'm making some assumptions here based on title previous comments etc.

Owning the fighters doesnt mean you own the results necessarily. You can keep matchups from being made, or make matchups that favor a certain fighter (see McGregor/Cerrone), but playing god like that can really blow up in your face (see McGregor/Diaz).

So no. At the end of the day the UFC do not own the results.

This fight fixing nonsense needs to stop... There's nothing that supports it. Some people buckle under the pressure of the big fights and that's it.

Curious to know where MMA would be today if Perretti ran the show

Nice try but the fighters are independent contractors.

source.gif

Independent contractors would be able to fight wherever and whenever they want.
Independent contractors would own their own likeness and merchandising rights.

Owning the fighters doesnt mean you own the results necessarily. You can keep matchups from being made, or make matchups that favor a certain fighter (see McGregor/Cerrone), but playing god like that can really blow up in your face (see McGregor/Diaz).

When you say that fight blew up in their face, what does that mean exactly? They ran the rematch months later and made even more money than the 1st bout did. Buyrate was higher and it was another $7million+ gate. Conor continues to draw bigger than anyone else and Nate's win took him from gatekeeper to superstar.

Fighters are free to quit fighting whenever they want. They can’t fight anywhere else under contract, but they don’t have to fight.

When you say that fight blew up in their face, what does that mean exactly? They ran the rematch months later and made even more money than the 1st bout did. Buyrate was higher and it was another $7million+ gate. Conor continues to draw bigger than anyone else and Nate's win took him from gatekeeper to superstar.
Fair enough, what I meant was that the UFC cherrypicked an opponent fully intending McGregor to win. They really made the best of a bad situation when he didnt. But can you imagine the hype levels if he blasted diaz, then decimated the current lightweight champ? I'd assume that's what the UFC was counting on.

Depends on if what's good for the sport is in the end better for the fans. Conor wouldn't have fought Alvarez and probably not Khabib. I think it's a good thing those fights happened. Downside is having 2-1 Brock fighting Randy, even if he won, and even if you think it really is a downside.

Last edited:
Curious to know where MMA would be today if Perretti ran the show

From the interview it sounds like the UFC would've probably gone under if he had it. He readily admitted he honestly didn't have the wherewithal to do what Zuffa did, and even referred to himself as a fossil of the evolution of MMA today.

Overall a pretty honest interview.

I cant watch (at work) and TS failed to post any cliffs, so I'm making some assumptions here based on title previous comments etc.

So no. At the end of the day the UFC do not own the results.

Sorry. Perretti's rather a different type of Cat, not sure I could post cliff's and do his position justice, as its quite subjective to his own angle.

Too Bad they didn't use him a little more in Gangs of New York, (He prolly got on somebody's nerves since he likes to express his opinions.)

tenor.gif

I don't quite understand his thinking. He was the matchmaker for years under SEG and before that, the matchmaker for Battlecade Extreme Fighting. Is he saying he was a contradiction back then too? Or was he just a contradiction when Zuffa took over?

Back