If you had all the time, money, and resources in the world, how would you..........

Fight_Song said:
are you assuming everyone who fights does it to pay bills? 95% of the guys in this forum fight as a hobby, for competition, health, etc.

if you're struggling to pay the bills, go wait tables.

this thread was about if you had EVERYTHING you needed and wanted , i for one would not have the need to fight , i would never fight for the sole purpose of money to begin with .

if i had everything i needed and it was just a hobby for me , then i would probably just trying to satisfy my ego

like kabuki said , it is about the struggle.

the best wrestlers i've ever wrestled were the ones whose family, their fathers, brothers, uncles, and grandfathers wrestled. they were in singlets after diapers and have trained since they could walk.

but of those i've trained, the ones with outside drama are ones who lose focus in a long hard match.

striving to be a champion is struggle in itself. you have to fight yourself and the natural want to quit and relax and give up that everyone has inside. working 2 jobs on the side doesnt help you fight. missing sleep at night doesnt help you fight. that shit just gets in the way.

You have very mixed up views about Professional fighting. Especially considering your statement about "if you're struggling to pay the bills, go wait tables." Clearly you're one who does this mainly for hobby.

The people born into fighting always have distinct advantages. It's in their blood, but Wrestlers who were born into Wrestling are a bit different. Wrestling beyond Olympic competition becomes what? Either MMA or Pro Wrestling, which Pro Wrestling is a slightly different standard. In this day and age fighting to be the best is a good motivation to get you to become the best, but what about once you are? Again, very few people who were born with silver spoons up their asses know how to carry themselves as Champions.

No one who is hoping to become a Pro fighter is going to go wait tables if they're struggling to pay bills. That's just stupid. They want to become Professional so they do not HAVE TO do shit like that anymore. I've washed dishes for a living, laid brick, delivered food, all kinds of crap. I have other talents aside from fighting, but none that anyone who could pay me enough to support my family cares about. So I chose to fight. Why? Because when I talk about swinging my fists THEN everyone pays attention. I don't have to win any favor, all I have to do is impose my will on another man.

Have you ever looked into the eyes of an opponent and seen that as he looks at you he's picturing everything he never had? Everything he was told he never would be. All of the people who have told him that. His children. Every single member of his family who has either succeeded or failed before him? I guarantee you this guy will be as tough as if not moreso than anyone who was born with all the advantages. Because this guy will do whatever it takes because in his mind, it means his continued existence. It means food, it means clothing, it means a home. This is the life of a fighter. Wether he's a journeyman Boxer who becomes nothing more than a "could-have-been" who is now a Professional loser (paid to fight people who promoters KNOW he will not defeat, but that he'll put up a good fight against), to World Champions of any fight sport.

No one fights just because. And if they do, they're usually quickly forgotten. Lineage is a good motivator, but I've never seen it compare to utter desire to live and breathe. Some of us, take this that seriously.

Urban said:
monday - lifting
Tuesday - lifting
wednesday - lifting
thursday - lifting
friday - lifting and drinking
Saturday and sunday - drinking.

Don't make me bench press you all over this forum buddy. I can almost bench press my own body weight. You don't want none of that.

I want to become a professional fighter because I love to fight, now my family wasnt poor or anything and ive never really go into any street fights, but the fact is, is that fighting is fun and just because I wasnt poor and didnt have to fight to stay alive doesnt mean that someone who does of to fight to stay alive is going to beat me, because im not going to be beat by someone with a "bigger heart" then me. I fight to fight, I love it, and that is what I am going to do for as long as I can, fight.
Anyways I would just do shit tons of BJJ, MT and so on.

Herculean said:
this thread was about if you had EVERYTHING you needed and wanted , i for one would not have the need to fight , i would never fight for the sole purpose of money to begin with .

if i had everything i needed and it was just a hobby for me , then i would probably just trying to satisfy my ego

like kabuki said , it is about the struggle.
so say you dont fight to pay the bills and you say you dont need to fight... and you would not fight if you had all the money you needed... so why do you fight? don't you fight because you enjoy it? so why would you stop if you had all the money you need?

but the fact is, is that fighting is fun and just because I wasnt poor and didnt have to fight to stay alive doesnt mean that someone who does of to fight to stay alive is going to beat me, because im not going to be beat by someone with a "bigger heart" then me. I fight to fight, I love it, and that is what I am going to do for as long as I can, fight.

I would hold off on saying this until you've actually been in the situation before. It's all about mentality man, seriously. Fighting for fun is fine, but I've almost never seen it provide the kind of razor-sharp focus that allows a man to fight a perfect fight. Usually there's something greater than that at work.

Rexholio said:
Don't make me bench press you all over this forum buddy. I can almost bench press my own body weight. You don't want none of that.
Plus from the looks of it, you know matt hughes, so I would like to respectfully offer a public appology for my low quality post.

King Kabuki said:
You have very mixed up views about Professional fighting. Especially considering your statement about "if you're struggling to pay the bills, go wait tables." Clearly you're one who does this mainly for hobby.

The people born into fighting always have distinct advantages. It's in their blood, but Wrestlers who were born into Wrestling are a bit different. Wrestling beyond Olympic competition becomes what? Either MMA or Pro Wrestling, which Pro Wrestling is a slightly different standard. In this day and age fighting to be the best is a good motivation to get you to become the best, but what about once you are? Again, very few people who were born with silver spoons up their asses know how to carry themselves as Champions.

No one who is hoping to become a Pro fighter is going to go wait tables if they're struggling to pay bills. That's just stupid. They want to become Professional so they do not HAVE TO do shit like that anymore. I've washed dishes for a living, laid brick, delivered food, all kinds of crap. I have other talents aside from fighting, but none that anyone who could pay me enough to support my family cares about. So I chose to fight. Why? Because when I talk about swinging my fists THEN everyone pays attention. I don't have to win any favor, all I have to do is impose my will on another man.

Have you ever looked into the eyes of an opponent and seen that as he looks at you he's picturing everything he never had? Everything he was told he never would be. All of the people who have told him that. His children. Every single member of his family who has either succeeded or failed before him? I guarantee you this guy will be as tough as if not moreso than anyone who was born with all the advantages. Because this guy will do whatever it takes because in his mind, it means his continued existence. It means food, it means clothing, it means a home. This is the life of a fighter. Wether he's a journeyman Boxer who becomes nothing more than a "could-have-been" who is now a Professional loser (paid to fight people who promoters KNOW he will not defeat, but that he'll put up a good fight against), to World Champions of any fight sport.

No one fights just because. And if they do, they're usually quickly forgotten. Lineage is a good motivator, but I've never seen it compare to utter desire to live and breathe. Some of us, take this that seriously.
a sob story will not win fights for you. it doesn't matter. if you're struggling to support your family, you need to devote your time to a job what will get them clothes and food and shoes.

wait tables, pay for schooling, get certified/degree and support them. you can fight on the side like everyone else. you cant expect to support yourself with fights until you're signed with ufc/k1/pride/whatever. you break a bone and you're screwed so dont set yourself up for something like that in the first place.

you dont get bonus points for choosing the hard road. you dont. someone who makes good choices and puts the same time training as you will get the same and if not, be better because they fight with a clear mind. you're standing there fighting demons in your head thinking about the fact that if you break your leg that you cant buy your kids new shoes -- he's thinking about his game and focussed on being a champion.

Choosing? You honestly think people choose poverty? LOL Jesus fucking Christ.

And yes you can definitely set a goal to support yourself and your family fighting. Like I said, it is painfully obvious you never have been or never will be a Professional fighter with this perception you have. Afraid of broken bones, thinking people chose to be poor, thinking outside influences should never have any bearing over a person's approach to their fighting career, keep dreaming.

Very few people i know choose poverty, yes sometimes they choose to do nothing about it. When i evaluated what i was going to do with my life it was either work a 9-5 job making 10 bucks an hour/ try to go to school while working a 9-5 job or try to work and train to make money fighting. I chose to work and train but after i earned my bones all I have to do is trainand occassionally work. Sure i am not making a whole lot of money now but down the road i will. Al that said fighting is no hobby to me it means the difference between having some shit and not having some shit.
If you look though the history of boxing you will be hard pressed to find many guys whomade it big that didnt come from poverty. The reason-once you live without the things you need for a long time you get hardened and tough both physically and mentally. When i step into the ring I know i could get hurt but does it worry me? Not really because all that is on my mind is getting what I want and getting wher ei want to be and the guy in front of me is simply an obstacle. I am not going to lie- when I am in the ring i will do whatever it takes to win if that means killing the guy across from me then so be it because I know that he wants what i want and only one can have that.

King Kabuki said:
I would hold off on saying this until you've actually been in the situation before. It's all about mentality man, seriously. Fighting for fun is fine, but I've almost never seen it provide the kind of razor-sharp focus that allows a man to fight a perfect fight. Usually there's something greater than that at work.

True so I will keep you updated on my fights. But its not in me to quit, if I get knocked out or someone taps me out so be it but I wont just stop fighting because someone has more heart then me. I will try my best until the fights over. No one will ever accuse me of not having enough heart.

Boomstick said:
- when I am in the ring i will do whatever it takes to win if that means killing the guy across from me then so be it

Ummmm OK. Ask the guys who have killed or seriously injured someone in the ring. They have retired or fallen into deep depression because of guilt.

KK,

say you have one guy who has all the resources in the world by training 6 hours everyday with all the top instructors. Also, he lives the good life with lots of money and he has no struggles.

Are you saying that this guy will get beat by someone who is hungry for success and struggling, but at the same time only is able to train 1 hour a day and 2 times a week due to his poverty situation?

DKM76 said:
Ummmm OK. Ask the guys who have killed or seriously injured someone in the ring. They have retired or fallen into deep depression because of guilt.
Maybe that will would be what happened to me and maybe it wouldnt, but there are very few guys who hold back in a fight even when they have the guy beaten, because inside every true fighter has confidence that no matter what he can win so he does everything he can to destroy the guy in front of him. Sure maybe when the fight is over he regrets it but in the moment and up until the moment the guy dies he doesnt worry about it. Look at Emil Griffin and Kid Parrett. Griffin wanted to kill Parrett for calling him a :eek::eek::eek: and he did sure he regretted it afterwards but that isnt what crossed his mind when he was nailing Parret with punches in the corner. All that was in his mind is destroying his opponent to get what he wanted and in this case it was proving he wasnt a :eek::eek::eek:. Same thing with Mancini and Kim Mancini didnt back off from beating Kim until the ref stopped the fight sur ehe regretted it but during the match all Mancini wanted was to keep his title. That is a fighters mentality some people have it some dont

DKM76 said:
KK,

say you have one guy who has all the resources in the world by training 6 hours everyday with all the top instructors. Also, he lives the good life with lots of money and he has no struggles.

Are you saying that this guy will get beat by someone who is hungry for success and struggling, but at the same time only is able to train 1 hour a day and 2 times a week due to his poverty situation?
Depends on if the guy with the resources has that killer instinct.
Livingstone Bramble started his career with very few amature fights and was not very highly regarded. He worked 2 jobs and trained 1-2 hours per day 3 times a week becaus ehe had to drive 2 hours to the gym. Well he was matched with Jose Serrano a guy who had amature acclaim and was training fulltime and managed with big money. Bramble was set up to be an opponent guess who won? Serrano was mor skilled , had more ring time and didnt have to worry about his next meal but the difference was the heart and mental toughness.

To futher what Boomstick has said. This is a silly question to ask because it depends on the individual. If the guy with all the top instruction and lives the good life is a pussy when push comes to shove and backs down when faced with a guy who will fight with every last bit of energy he has, then yes, he'll get owned. It's happened before, many many times, and it'll happen again.

It's all about the fight in the man, not the man in the fight.

If you really think about it look at the world of boxing why are there so many Mexican and Black champions and so few white champions?

Boomstick said:
If you really think about it look at the world of boxing why are there so many Mexican and Black champions and so few white champions?

with that logic, why does the UFC have mostly (all) white champions?

DKM76 said:
with that logic, why does the UFC have mostly (all) white champions?
The Ufc has nowhere near the athletic talent nor the depth of talent that boxing does because it has not been established for as long. Can you name 25 heavyweights who fight in UFC and have a chance of winning a title. There ar enot even enough guys at any weight bracket in the UFC for there to be UFC sanctioned fights between contenders every week.
Also you dont see to many mixed martial arts gyms in the ghetto if there were MMA gyms in the ghetto and an amature program that catered to inner city kids like boxing has I would be willing to bet a large amount of cash that all the White Kids doing MMA as a hobby would not be able to even particiapte as a pro other than to be used as an opponent.

Back