If you dropped these All Time greats in the sport today, how would they do?

ProBoxingInsidr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So lets say you took these legends of their era's and just dropped them into today's game, how would they do? Let's say it would be for one year and it would be at their absolute prime. But of course they had always trained up until that year like they had back then.

MLB- Babe Ruth

NBA- Wilt Chamberlain

NHL- Gordie Howe

NFL- Jim Brown

I think only Chamberlain would be above average. You cant teach size and today's nba center is lacking

Jim Brown would be ok. not sure he would start. i think the size, speed and athleticism would be overwhelming to him considering the athlete he opposed in his day

Gordie- A lot like Jim Brown

Babe Ruth- This is one that is the most difficult to me. although people say that pitchers like walter johnson through as hard as today's guys, i would have to think overall the pitching of today would be a huge upgrade. people will claim he didnt play against minorities, but i dont think that really affects him as a hitter much as white guys of today are just as good as the minorities. so he could hit or not. if i had to guess, he would be like Matt Stairs or Rob Deer. But I am not sure

Wilt would rape. Oh and he would still do pretty well on the court.

Jim Brown would still be pretty ruthless.

Wilt would be damn good but not all time great imo.

Ruth was so unique that it's hard to say, I think he'd hit tho fa sho

As for that other guy? Hockey isn't a real sport so it doesn't matter either way to be honest.

None of them would make it at the d1 level much less the professional level

I've been saying this for years and my friends think I'm crazy but Babe Ruth wouldn't even make the league today

I've been saying this for years and my friends think I'm crazy but Babe Ruth wouldn't even make the league today

I've played ball @ the d1 level and I can confidently say I'm better than Babe ever was. The game is totally different now, can't even be compared honestly - too many advancements in strategy, nutrition, exercise science, etc.

I've played ball @ the d1 level and I can confidently say I'm better than Babe ever was. The game is totally different now, can't even be compared honestly - too many advancements in strategy, nutrition, exercise science, etc.
Lol at baseball strategy

Jim Brown would run right over JJ Watt and juke the shit out of Keuchly. Truth

I like to think about the reverse. Could you take a current athlete and put them back in the day, would they be able to cope.

Before you LOL at the idea, keep in mind that players used to have much shittier equipment, less effective drugs, less effective rehab and they traveled by train or bus. I think a lot of modern athletes would lose their shit at carrying their own bags and riding the train.

I know no one gives shit about cycling but I highly doubt even one current pro cyclist could finish a Tour de France run in the 40s of 50s. Unpaved roads, 500km stages, carrying your own spare tire ---- the whole fucking race was much tougher.

i am not sure about that. it is claimed that people like walter johnson could throw just as hard as guys today do. and babe was still having to hit it as far as guys do today to get a hr. so how much different was it? and you forgot the biggest difference in comparing yourself to babe. you used an aluminum bat.

like i said.....i see him as a rob deer or pete incaviglia type

1. Brown would do just fine. He was big, fast and durable.
2. Howe was big and strong and ambidextrous - although he might be more likely to be used as a defenseman in modern Hockey.
3. Ruth would probably make it as a relief pitcher. He was a good enough pitcher to make the HOF as a pitcher but that was in the dead ball era. In the modern era, he would be able to bear down hard for an inning or two. Or he might be a hitter in the Ortiz mode. He must have had a good eye to draw all those walks and he could hit the ball far enough against some pretty good pitching.

Wilt's stat line would be uniformly better than a prime Dwight Howard's except in terms of free throw %.

All the same physical tools at 7'0", not 6'9", and probably superior at that. Mentally tougher. More determined and competitive. Imagine a supercharged Deandre Jordan.

Are we using a time machine to take them in their prime and drop them into a current season or are they growing up with all the nutrition, roids, heart transplants, workout equipment/philopsophies that we have today?

Mr Hockey gets suspended or banned for playing old school hockey and making Crosby his prison bitch.

Are we using a time machine to take them in their prime and drop them into a current season or are they growing up with all the nutrition, roids, heart transplants, workout equipment/philopsophies that we have today?

The former of course. The latter would not be worth debating.

Back