If you don't train with GNP you don't have a ground game

Standing up is really under-appreciated, i got overwhelmed initially in a self defense situation, i was too confused/overwhelmed to even close the guard.

I ended up with a right foot on the hip right hand back of the head, left shin in the bicep,left hand over hooking the tricep, this bought me time to compose myself and use the technical stand up, then was able to get to a choke.

SBGi has a philosophy I like for fighting from the bottom, sweep, submit or standup.
Another important detail, which is hard for me, keep your eyes open!!

SBGi has a philosophy I like for fighting from the bottom, sweep, submit or standup.

As opposed to the alternative strategy of "just lay there, hugging the guy with your legs while he beats you up?"

As opposed to the alternative strategy of "just lay there, hugging the guy with your legs while he beats you up?"

If your game is to fight to break the guys posture, you may end up in that predicament.

My point is largely advocating to keep the option of standing up as viable as submitting or sweeping.

mma and bjj are two different sports. not sure why there is even a comparison here.

Oh and since we are throwing in tips for pure grapplers making the switch:

The best tip I can give is to strike less. When you first start grappling with strikes, your natural instinct is to start throwing strikes from everywhere since that seems like the correct strategy. However, you tend to make space when throwing strikes which in turn weakens your grappling.

Instead of winding up for big punches all the time, use small, short strikes to wear the guy down while still staying tight. Also, there is no need to strike just because you can. Strike because it will help you, not because it is allowed.

A lot of times you will be better served by not even throwing any strikes at all in certain situations. If you are tight on your opponent and feel you are close to passing, there is no need to throw any strikes here. Just grapple and insist on the pass that you know can get. Once you get to the mount, you will be able to make up for all of those lost striking opportunities -- believe me.

very true. that's why elbows on the ground make such a big difference in the varying mma rulesets, too. they're a lot safer to throw than punches and can have more impact. not to mention, elbows are pointy and hurty.

YA RLY

If you have the overhook, he can't punch you with that arm. So he's probably going to try to punch you with the other arm. All you have to do is clear that free arm with your leg and you can lock up the triangle.

Like so:

Ohhh is that all
Do you train MMA?

Hernan "He-Man" Mendez;45218101 said:
control posture, double wrist control, over and underhooks. and for mma one of the biggest things is never be squared up on bottom

Exactly. Look at what Nog does, if he's ever squared up he has BOTH wrists locked and he will NEVER give up wrist control unless forced to. If you aren't controlling the wrists or otherwise attacking with a sub or sweep, you should transition to Z-guard for space to avoid strikes or quickly get head control (see the image above) to break their posture for the same reason.

We have done the occasional drill where you are allowed to slap the person (not aggressively) and it really shows you where your danger areas are.

Ohhh is that all
Do you train MMA?

I already said I've never trained with strikes. I train BJJ (gi and no-gi).

Just saying, if you get a tight overhook on one arm, the triangle is there--especially if he tries to punch you with his free arm.

Do you train MMA? Are you going to explain to me why you disagree based on your experience?

this thread is ridiculous

the ts basically posts that the guard is way different with strikes and without training for it he was fucked up

the replies are basically "you dont know shit" or "get a black belt and a couple of amateur fights". stupid as fuck replies.

I personally didn't have much difficulty making the transition myself. It's just a lot less options and a lot more keeping control of their hands in any way shape or form, as far as bottom game is concerned. It's also more about just locking away their defenses so you can just do jerk-off punches on their face, Brock style.

this thread is ridiculous

the ts basically posts that the guard is way different with strikes and without training for it he was fucked up

the replies are basically "you dont know shit" or "get a black belt and a couple of amateur fights". stupid as fuck replies.

Training BJJ with strikes is a deeply controversial subject in this forum for some reason.

mma or street i would get to top. if forced down to gaurd control posture and look to sweep sub right away. but punches to the face can turn a blue belt into a white belt in a hurry.i think training with strikes is something thats important and overlooked

I'm a little puzzeled about how this thread turned out. Even if TS telling us that strikes changes the ground game to a great extent might not be a huge newsflas, why did so many feel there was a greater need to be condascending than to exchange experiences and viewpoints on this subject? I mean, this isn't a subject of a huge amount of threads on the f12, and it is relevant to a grapling sub-forum on an MMA board, even if most of it's participants seem to do pure BJJ or SW.

Props to those who contributed something constructive to this. I've never trained with strikes myself, and found many of these replies interesting.

Exactly. Look at what Nog does, if he's ever squared up he has BOTH wrists locked and he will NEVER give up wrist control unless forced to. If you aren't controlling the wrists or otherwise attacking with a sub or sweep, you should transition to Z-guard for space to avoid strikes or quickly get head control (see the image above) to break their posture for the same reason.

We have done the occasional drill where you are allowed to slap the person (not aggressively) and it really shows you where your danger areas are.

Nogs strategy worked fine in Pride where elbows were illegal. In the UFC continued double wristcontrol is super dangerous because the opponent can use elbow strikes without worrying about your wrist grip.

I do fullcontact fairly regularly these days. The first thing I wanna do is control posture, not so much the hands. My go to is the whizzer from guard. When my opponent starts posturing up from that I have lost control of his posture, his arm and his distance, so I'm putting my foot on his hips and getting ready to stand up. Personally, if I can't keep a grip on my opponents neck from guard, I wont play guard at all. That's my rule.

FYI getting punched in the guard by someone who knows how is fucking scary!

why would you assume that? maybe they were a judoka, or a wrestler, or just someone who could fight. Remember that GnP that Coleman and Tito used to lay down? Was that because of their BJJ?

:icon_conf

:icon_neut

:icon_lol:

What belt would you say Brett Rogers is? he was raining down some SLICK BJJ on Fedor!! You don't need to know zu zhitsu to throw a punch or drop an elbow.

Way to fail F12. Horrible, horrible responses.

To be fair, he came across dickish.

Back