If you don't train with GNP you don't have a ground game

I overhook his right arm if he is right handed. controlling the power punch is prefferable.

I am trying to look for one that has the foot the hip as well.

I'd agree it changes certain situations and certainly some people styles suite strikes more than others, but it's just one more variable if you want to add strikes. Hell if we're going that might as well throw in headbutts and elbows because again that changes a bunch. MMA is a sport man, just like BJJ it's just different rules apply and if you don't know them and how to deal with them things can go bad.

IMG_11283-JeffMonson-BillCooper.JPG

this is an example of the foot on the hip but with double wrist control instead of neck and overhook.

I am not a big fan of double wrist control for GNP.

let me guess, you trained with somebody that knows BJJ and he just gnp on you.

why would you assume that? maybe they were a judoka, or a wrestler, or just someone who could fight. Remember that GnP that Coleman and Tito used to lay down? Was that because of their BJJ?

Sounds like getting hit turns your guard to shit. Your problem, not ours.
:icon_conf

Yeah, if you dont know what you're doing in the first place strikes can cause problems.
:icon_neut

What belt are you?
:icon_lol:

What belt would you say Brett Rogers is? he was raining down some SLICK BJJ on Fedor!! You don't need to know zu zhitsu to throw a punch or drop an elbow.

Way to fail F12. Horrible, horrible responses.

Serious response. I'd wait for someone like BFT or frodo to chime in on this one, but here's my 2c..

What red axe said, in so far as sit up with him if he sits up so he can't throw the big shots. And if you can can sit up to the point your hips are underneath you, keep the underhook, scoot back a little and use it to stand up. If he pushes back into you use the over under to sweep. If he postures up, feet on hips, push off, scramble to your feet. I'm not one to be throwing up triangles and shit from the bottom. That's just me though.

why would you assume that? maybe they were a judoka, or a wrestler, or just someone who could fight. Remember that GnP that Coleman and Tito used to lay down? Was that because of their BJJ?

why on earth do you always turn everythread in style vs style?

TS name is Novaunio. so it seems normal to confirm first if he is training with BJJ guys so you can start working on the problem.

What belt would you say Brett Rogers is? he was raining down some SLICK BJJ on Fedor!! You don't need to know zu zhitsu to throw a punch or drop an elbow.

He said he thought he had decent jiu jitsu, so I was curious to know what belt he was. I didnt say anything about having to have bjj to be able to do gnp. If he was a 3 month white belt, and said he was having trouble with it, it would probably be because his jiu jitsu and overall grappling knowledge isnt "decent." I followed up with a response with tips on what he should do. Did you read the whole thread or just the first page?

why on earth do you always turn everythread in style vs style?

TS name is Novaunio. so it seems normal to confirm first if he is training with BJJ guys so you can start working on the problem.

fair enough. but you gotta admit some of the other responses were just typical HW style shit talking... and maybe I'm a tad sensitized to this style v style crap. this place will do that to a person.

anyway he's right about how much it changes things, and I think we can agree on that much

probably mentioned already, but underhooks lose some effectiveness, since you don't tie up the arm and fists can smack you around. they may not have too much impact if you break their posture, but they do add up.

no big surprise, but controlling arms is key to not getting hit. if you can work a variation of spider guard with your legs wide and knees on the biceps while grabbing behind the elbows, you should be able to kick your opponent back and back up or try to attack with a submission

anyway he's right about how much it changes things, and I think we can agree on that much

people should train old school BJJ style more often.

take the jacket/belt off and use a modified VL striking rules.

the good old time.

I really don't feel like adding strikes changes my ground strategy too much. Of course, it might just be my outlook on things because I don't find too much of a difference between gi and no gi either, etc. There are differences obviously, but I think the similarities are much greater.

In some ways, striking makes it a lot easier to grapple. People trying to strike you tend to leave more space which creates more openings to attack. In other ways, striking makes it harder to grapple because you simply cannot rest from certain positions the way you can in pure grappling (guard positions come to mind, particularly the half guard).

For the past few years I have only been able to train MMA infrequently, but when I do get to train with the fighters I tend to give a good account of myself in sparring. I will usually be able to control the ground part of training through my experience in BJJ. I am not as familiar with some of the trickier ways to trap and strike an opponent as MMA guys are, but I don't seem to have a problem getting to good positions and striking from there.

It's important to train with strikes some of the time, but I don't think it really changes the grappling strategy anywhere near as much as people make it seem.

what the fuck is wrong with you??? are you some insecure wrestler who constantly gets his ass kick around and trying to live in constant denial??? you are always agressive and trying to turn everything into wrestling or whatever vs bjj...

your responses are pretty damm ridiculous to start with...

Coleman was a freaking olimpic wrestler, not some dude who can just fight

Brett rogers had 50 pounds on Fedor, not to mention he is a professional MMA, you know, those guys who train the ground game once in a while...

Asking what belt he is is a total legit question? its not the same if a white belt says.. ohhh bjj without strikers sucks because I cant submit anyone than if a black belt comes out and says, bjj without strikers isnt worth sht!!

dude, give it a rest... you

what the fuck is wrong with you??? are you some insecure wrestler who constantly gets his ass kick around and trying to live in constant denial??? you are always agressive and trying to turn everything into wrestling or whatever vs bjj...

your responses are pretty damm ridiculous to start with...

Coleman was a freaking olimpic wrestler, not some dude who can just fight

Brett rogers had 50 pounds on Fedor, not to mention he is a professional MMA fighter, you know, those guys who train the ground game once in a while...

Asking what belt he is is a total legit question, its not the same if a white belt says.. ohhh bjj without strikers sucks because I cant submit anyone than if a black belt comes out and says, bjj without strikers isnt worth sht!!

dude, give it a rest... you hate towards bjj makes you really come out like a douche.

Last edited:
Oh and since we are throwing in tips for pure grapplers making the switch:

The best tip I can give is to strike less. When you first start grappling with strikes, your natural instinct is to start throwing strikes from everywhere since that seems like the correct strategy. However, you tend to make space when throwing strikes which in turn weakens your grappling.

Instead of winding up for big punches all the time, use small, short strikes to wear the guy down while still staying tight. Also, there is no need to strike just because you can. Strike because it will help you, not because it is allowed.

A lot of times you will be better served by not even throwing any strikes at all in certain situations. If you are tight on your opponent and feel you are close to passing, there is no need to throw any strikes here. Just grapple and insist on the pass that you know can get. Once you get to the mount, you will be able to make up for all of those lost striking opportunities -- believe me.

Not really

YA RLY

If you have the overhook, he can't punch you with that arm. So he's probably going to try to punch you with the other arm. All you have to do is clear that free arm with your leg and you can lock up the triangle.

Like so:

Did you use a boxing block where you lift your elbow? If you did you should use like a crazy kung fu block instead and then grab his arm. There's actually a pretty good YouTube video on it.

Back