If you don't train with GNP you don't have a ground game

NovaUniaoWesty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have come to this unfortunate realization lately when we've started incorporating some MMA stuff into our no-gi. I always thought I had pretty decent jiu jitsu...

NOPE

I mean I always knew it would be a different world, but I didn't think it would be as difficult as it was. I really did think that I would still be able to go in and impose my game. Very humbling:redface:

Please don't think I'm degrading sport jiu jitsu. I LOVE IT. But for self defense and MMA purposes one really does need that extra training to deal with strikes

let me guess, you trained with somebody that knows BJJ and he just gnp on you.

Sounds like getting hit turns your guard to shit. Your problem, not ours.

Did you learn any techniques for how to defend against strikes while you are working your guard, that you could share with us?

Yeah, if you dont know what you're doing in the first place strikes can cause problems.

I have come to this unfortunate realization lately when we've started incorporating some MMA stuff into our no-gi. I always thought I had pretty decent jiu jitsu...

NOPE

I mean I always knew it would be a different world, but I didn't think it would be as difficult as it was. I really did think that I would still be able to go in and impose my game. Very humbling:redface:

Please don't think I'm degrading sport jiu jitsu. I LOVE IT. But for self defense and MMA purposes one really does need that extra training to deal with strikes

Better get your Gracie Combatives dvds.

Did you learn any techniques for how to defend against strikes while you are working your guard, that you could share with us?

Ha ha nah I wish. I was just curious if anyone else had this much trouble transitioning. But as usual sherdoggers are all full of hate, and are a bunch of GNP wizards who couldn't possibly relate to getting worked over. No, no, their egos couldn't possibly allow them to admit any shortcoming WHICH THEY MOST CERTAINLY DON'T HAVE! :icon_twis

But yeah absolutely if anyone has any advice for defending strikes from the bottom I'd appreciate it.

Ha ha nah I wish. I was just curious if anyone else had this much trouble transitioning. But as usual sherdoggers are all full of hate, and are a bunch of GNP wizards who couldn't possibly relate to getting worked over. No, no, their egos couldn't possibly allow them to admit any shortcoming WHICH THEY MOST CERTAINLY DON'T HAVE! :icon_twis

But yeah absolutely if anyone has any advice for defending strikes from the bottom I'd appreciate it.

Controlling their posture is key, just like when rolling without strikes. You should work many of the same things you usually work nogi, use your over and underhooks, it it just much more important that you control his posture when punches are added in. If your opponent cant posture up, it will be much harder for him to to throw hard punches.

In sport jj, you can be much more relaxed about letting them posture or get space and working to something because you dont have to worry about getting hit. When you add punches, you have to be constantly attacking or working to control posture. If they are able to break your control and posture up, immediately come up with them and go for situp sweeps or pull them back down into you.

Last edited:
Bro' welcome to real life, everyone is a bad ass until they get smacked in the chicklets!

I've never sparred with strikes but I watch a lot of MMA and judging from the MMA closed guard I've seen, I would try to sit up with him whenever he leans back to load up for a strike (and of course try to hip bump sweep) and also try really hard to get a tight overhook to keep him from hitting me effectively, and to set up a triangle.

Again, I've never actually done this myself. Just basing this on what I see in fights.

closed guard.

one hand on the back of the neck

one hand on his tricep.

one foot on his hips.

looking for a picture.

control posture, double wrist control, over and underhooks. and for mma one of the biggest things is never be squared up on bottom

found this one but I still rather one foot on the hips.

closeguard.jpg

What people don't realize is that not only does gnp alter your bottom game, but your top game as well. We're all taught to stay compact and not extend our arm, keep grips for posture and control, etc. Throwing strikes messes all that up and opens you up for some unexpected things. I thought gnp would make things easier on top, but actually it just made things...different.

found this one but I still rather one foot on the hips.

closeguard.jpg

Yeah, that overhook is money. As long as you can hold onto it, it's only a question of when, not if, you can get the triangle.

Back