If you dont think Masvidal is the top contender UFC right now

I mentally place Masvidal somewhere between a top-contender and a "merely good" fighter riding on a hype job.

I think he's one of those guys who can absolutely ride a hot streak to a title shot, but also someone who can ride a slump to potentially being outside the top 10.

Another good/great win though, and I think you have to cleanly slot him into the top-tier, even if it's only for a short period of time.

Usman vs Covington

Masvidal vs Edwards

Winner vs winner

Loser vs loser

This makes no sense. Colby hasn’t even gotten past Lawler yet. What do you expect Usman to do while you are holding this qualifier tourney?

Sure Leon has a cute win streak going with that long 8 or 9 fight streak he is on but what exactly did wonderboy do in his 2 title fights, and heck even that fight against Till? how many punches did Till throw in his title fight and against wonderboy, did his win streak help him there? Did Maia’s 6 fight win streak help him take down TWood?

Using winstreaks as a metric by itself is meaningless, you need to consider the quality of the opponents as well. Hell Priscilla Cachoeira was undefeated too, fat lot of good it did her.

Masvidals quality of opponents is much higher than Edwards in last few fights, and he finished them on impressive fashion too.

Till and Wonderboy were three of Woodley's four title defenses. Wonderboy fought Woodley to a draw. That doesn't seem as impressive as it did a while back but it's something. Till is a case where someone was massively overrated people became area of that and now he's massively underrated. GSP lost to Matt Hughes when he was in his early 20's people are too hard on Till, you aren't supposed to go undefeated in this sport.

And the win streaks are as impressive as unprecedented as they are. Obviously championship win streaks mean more cause you're fighting arguably the number one contender every time but when you get past 5 wins really hard to argue against giving someone a title shot unless division is stacked with others in that situation. Win streaks are dumb to compare by counting but then again pretty hard to win 8 or 9 fights while being a paper tiger. Khabib's streak is about as weak as you get but he deserved a title shot just cause double digits is so rare.

This makes no sense. Colby hasn’t even gotten past Lawler yet. What do you expect Usman to do while you are holding this qualifier tourney?

You didn't read the post

There is no qualifier tourney. Usman fights Colby (provided Colby wins) and Masvidal and Edwards fight for the next shot

And Usman doesn't seem to have much of an issue with sitting around waiting for things to figure themselves out since he's been doing it sine he won the title

Colby's wins are better than Masvidal's. Why is Edwards even being brought up?
Because Edwards has not lost in a zillion years and just defeated RDA who somehow was highly ranked.

Leon is top 5. A fight between him and Masvidal would be a clear top contender eliminator.

Colby should be fighting for the title with a win over Robbie.

I want Jorge to fight Leon. Both have similar styles and the fight would be an epic war.

If he fights Marty Snoozeman, it will probably be a snooze fest.

First off, whoever says Jorge isn't a top contender is a dumbass. Second, since Jorge vs. Conor looks like it won't happen, there's nothing I'd like to see more than Jorge vs. Usman. Gotta strike the iron when it's hot and both are hot. Usman had more time off but Jorge's fight only lasted 5 seconds so he should be ready quick. It should already be on the schedule.
No one said Masvidal wasn't'.

You guys love to create fictional opponents to your invented arguments.

Because Edwards has not lost in a zillion years and just defeated RDA who somehow was highly ranked.

Leon is top 5. A fight between him and Masvidal would be a clear top contender eliminator.

Colby should be fighting for the title with a win over Robbie.
Yeah, but that's just my point. TS is making it sound like he's saying Masvidal is the top contender because Edwards isn't. The top contender is Colby

If TS just meant A top contender, then Mas and Edwards can both fit the bill and don't need to be compared.

You didn't read the post

There is no qualifier tourney. Usman fights Colby (provided Colby wins) and Masvidal and Edwards fight for the next shot

And Usman doesn't seem to have much of an issue with sitting around waiting for things to figure themselves out since he's been doing it sine he won the title

Yeah, my bad. I still don’t agree with Colby getting the shot off a win over Lawler who is technically coming off a loss to the guy Masvidal just smoked and who has been sidelined prior to that.

I get all the arguments against Masvidal. I just consider recent wins to be much more important than long streaks (because in the fight world, 6 fights ago = 2-3 years ago). Momentum matters, and not just in a promotional sense.

Yeah, my bad. I still don’t agree with Colby getting the shot off a win over Lawler who is technically coming off a loss to the guy Masvidal just smoked and who has been sidelined prior to that.

I get all the arguments against Masvidal. I just consider recent wins to be much more important than long streaks (because in the fight world, 6 fights ago = 2-3 years ago). Momentum matters, and not just in a promotional sense.

I get that, I just think this way you get two fights people care about instead of one. People will watch Masvidal vs Edwards because of the hype around Jorge and the three piece and a soda. People will watch Usman vs Colby because it's a title fight and because of their own nonsense outside the cage. If you do it the other way people will watch Usman vs Masvidal. But no one is watching Covington vs Edwards

Also as much as I hate to say it, if Colby wins (it's an if) it's tough to argue he's not the most viable contender. He had an interim title, he has a long win streak unlike Jorge and unlike Edwards he doesn't already have a loss to Usman

I think Edwards is the most deserving contender and Jorge is the most exciting contender but overall I think Covington's combination of a bit of both means he should be the guy who gets the shot

And while I like Jorge the most of the three I don't really rate his wins as highly as I rate the way he got it done. Till and Askren to me were never as good as they were made out to be and I have a lot of respect for the way Jorge exposed that, but it doesn't do as much for me personally as wins over proven championship level fighters like RDA, Maia and Lawler (provided Colby gets that win)

If Covington loses to Robbie I think you give Jorge the shot (people care about him more than Edwards) and then run Woodley vs Covington because there's still interest there and they'd both be coming off losses

Wins by themselves don't matter cause this isn't a real sport. There's no tournament structure, rankings are based on opinions and recency bias, and title fights are forged to fill slots in a TV show programming type of way. It's sports entertainment at best and I'm OK with that. Masvidal getting a title shot is fine by me. He's a funny dude and comes to bang.

But if you wanna play the whole charade that this is a real sport, then the fact of the matter is: Masivdal is a mediocre fighter and barely deserves a shot at RDA. Let alone at Ponz or Edwards. He might be hitting a new stride, it does happen, but I hesitate to get all excited just yet. Askren is from the B leagues and Till was a rushed hype job. Before that he tanked to 2 legit contenders, beat a tired Cowboy, got a technicality over Ellenberger, went to a decision with an over-the-hill Ross Pearson and then lost 2 more before that... He has no impressive wins on his resume, no former UFC champs. And whenever he bumps into serious contenders, he loses. And he wouldn't even be a favorite in rematches of most of the fights he did win.

Last edited:
2 great wins but he got completely outclassed in the 2 fights before that

I get that, I just think this way you get two fights people care about instead of one. People will watch Masvidal vs Edwards because of the hype around Jorge and the three piece and a soda. People will watch Usman vs Colby because it's a title fight and because of their own nonsense outside the cage. If you do it the other way people will watch Usman vs Masvidal. But no one is watching Covington vs Edwards

Also as much as I hate to say it, if Colby wins (it's an if) it's tough to argue he's not the most viable contender. He had an interim title, he has a long win streak unlike Jorge and unlike Edwards he doesn't already have a loss to Usman

I think Edwards is the most deserving contender and Jorge is the most exciting contender but overall I think Covington's combination of a bit of both means he should be the guy who gets the shot

And while I like Jorge the most of the three I don't really rate his wins as highly as I rate the way he got it done. Till and Askren to me were never as good as they were made out to be and I have a lot of respect for the way Jorge exposed that, but it doesn't do as much for me personally as wins over proven championship level fighters like RDA, Maia and Lawler (provided Colby gets that win)

If Covington loses to Robbie I think you give Jorge the shot (people care about him more than Edwards) and then run Woodley vs Covington because there's still interest there and they'd both be coming off losses

All this make sense and I’d be ok with it. Just to round off what I think about the current picture: I would give Masvidal the shot now, then give Colby his (if he beats Lawler). Edwards can fight Woodley. << this would be a great way to set up a potential Edwards/Usman II. Downside is of course the part where Mas jumps the line ahead of an interim champ...

Meh. Jorge Loses. A lot. He Ko'd a reeling Till and a largely unproven Askren. Were they terrific KO's? sure. Does he deserve a TS ahead of Colby? Fuck No. Leon? Fuck No.

I'd say Usman has his next 2 contenders lined up in Colby and Leon. Unless Lawler beats Colby. Then it will be Leon.

Masvidal could fight Woodley or Pettis next. Or perhaps he could fight Leon if Colby wins.

2 great wins but he got completely outclassed in the 2 fights before that

WB - ok, that was a poor performance. But be honest: He split with Maia.

Colbys only high level wins are Maia and RDA, neither of which he ever had in any real danger.

Both of those guys are better than anyone on Jorge's record. His best wins are Till who is a good win that people are underrating, Askren who is untested and had a weird controversial fight with Lawler and before that wasted the last of his prime years fighting cans in ONE, and Cerrone who seems to fall apart mentally any time his opponent isn't buddy buddy with him.

RDA is a former champion and both he and Maia are proven top 5 guys in 2 weightclasses.

Funny how you ignore Usman's win streak.

Also... how much (in time) was Masvidal actually winning his last 2 fights?

I recall him losing the Till fight before landing a punch at the end of round 1 and the Askren fight lasted 2 seconds.

It would be one thing if Masvidal did this every fight, but his long career suggests otherwise. 2 fights he was winning for a total of like 1 minute is hardly a pattern. More like an exception.

Back