1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

If you dont think Masvidal is the top contender UFC right now

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by gspfedkobe24, Jul 23, 2019.

1. gspfedkobe24

gspfedkobe24 Black Belt

Sure Leon has a cute win streak going with that long 8 or 9 fight streak he is on but what exactly did wonderboy do in his 2 title fights, and heck even that fight against Till? how many punches did Till throw in his title fight and against wonderboy, did his win streak help him there? Did Maia’s 6 fight win streak help him take down TWood?

Using winstreaks as a metric by itself is meaningless, you need to consider the quality of the opponents as well. Hell Priscilla Cachoeira was undefeated too, fat lot of good it did her.

Masvidals quality of opponents is much higher than Edwards in last few fights, and he finished them on impressive fashion too.

2. Reffson

Reffson Purple Belt

First off, whoever says Jorge isn't a top contender is a dumbass. Second, since Jorge vs. Conor looks like it won't happen, there's nothing I'd like to see more than Jorge vs. Usman. Gotta strike the iron when it's hot and both are hot. Usman had more time off but Jorge's fight only lasted 5 seconds so he should be ready quick. It should already be on the schedule.

3. EYEKICKFACES

EYEKICKFACES Green Belt

Idiot, Masvidal is a gate keeper at best. Can't believe people are actually falling for this fake hype. You're going to be embarrassed over the next 8 months when he loses his next 2 fights and is 2-4.
    <seedat>

4. Joshuaace

Joshuaace Geezer Belt

So Till's win streak didn't help against the 2 best opponents he has faced..........and yet he was a high quality win for Jorge. Hmmm.

5. AndreiRubliov

AndreiRubliov White Belt

Not only losing them, but in boring fashion too like his usual split decisions

6. Breaking

Breaking One shall stand, and one shall fall.

I absolutely love Masvidal.

But I also know the difference between accomplishment and hype. And what Jorge has going for him is hype—even if it is well-earned hype.

7. rpn453

rpn453 Brown Belt

I've got Covington as next in line, followed by Edwards and Masvidal. I'd be happy to see any of them fight Usman.

OldBoy91 and Gamer007 like this.
  8. Sure Dawg

Sure Dawg White Belt

cerrone(x2), till and askren, boring split decisions

9. Mohawk Banditó

Mohawk Banditó Brown Belt

Colby's wins are better than Masvidal's. Why is Edwards even being brought up?

JohnMandick likes this.
  10. SpongebobsPineapple

SpongebobsPineapple The 90's Kid

Masvidal has had two wins recently that people are talking about which have elevated him that are debatable wins, that's not to say he isn't on fire right now (he is) however I personally feel he needs one more decent win under his belt before getting the shot.

The Till fight he won and was impressive, specially with the way he KO'd Till in his home country however the Askren fight is questionable to me. All he did is run in carelessly and knee him in the head, the same thing he did with the start of the Till fight the only difference being he hit Till in the nuts, it's reckless, it's careless and anyone can do that.

He just happened to knock Askren out which he didn't Till, it's just pure luck doing that however again, his fight with Till after that was impressive and incredibly credible however this is the only reason why I feel Masvidal needs another good fight under his belt before giving him the title shot.

In regards to Edwards, he's getting there and whether you like him or not he's definitely on his way to earning the title shot. Should he get it yet? Probably not but he's not even asking for it anyway, he's asking for Masvidal and if he beats Masvidal than I don't think it's unfair to say that he would be in the conversation for a title shot.

That's pretty much how I see it at the moment.

11. Jabbathehook

Jabbathehook Yellow Belt

Why is Usman still the champion?

It is funny how these guys are active as fuck and once they win a belt they're fighting once every 18 months.

Gamer007, Kurt94, bigmacbub and 3 others like this.
  12. Jabbathehook

Jabbathehook Yellow Belt

Colbys only high level wins are Maia and RDA, neither of which he ever had in any real danger.

13. DanAndroid

DanAndroid Green Belt

I have no problem with Jorge getting a title shot but I really want to see him fight Edwards more. I don't see him doing anything against Usman, just a free title defense for Marty.

BJJ4Tone likes this.
  14. Workaholic

Workaholic Silver Belt

Usman vs Covington

Masvidal vs Edwards

Winner vs winner

Loser vs loser

15. Reffson

Reffson Purple Belt

Remove head from ass and clean off shit.

filthynumber1, Wise1 and bigmacbub like this.
  16. AndreiRubliov

AndreiRubliov White Belt

Al Iaquinta, Demian Maia, Benson Henderson, Lorenz Larkin, Wonderboy, Ross Pearson and a ton of other boring as fuck decisions. His ko's happen in his usual hype train streaks and then when he is put against better competition he loses (in boring fashion) and he comes back to being the gatekeeper of the division.

17. Reffson

Reffson Purple Belt

RDA is overrated. Got hammered by Alvarez. Jorge just obliterated two top fighters. Edwards can wait.

18. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

None of this likely matters. Fact is, if Colby doesn’t fuck it up with Dana (again), he’s next. Right? In that case, do you really think Masvidal sits for a hopeful title shot for 9 months?

Well, maybe. But if not, expect Masvidal v Edwards to decide this. Not because one or the other does or doesn’t ‘deserve’ it more or less, but because of circumstances.

RogerD likes this.
  19. 0verlord

0verlord Yellow Card Yellow Card

No one said he isn't A top contender. TS claims he's THE contender, which isn't true since it's Colby. He should just queue up. It's that simple.

cooks1, Kurt94 and ThoseAreMyShoes like this.
  20. jsbx45

jsbx45 Brown Belt

He's getting a lot of hype, but No.

cooks1, Gamer007 and Kurt94 like this.