If you don’t see the aftermath, you can see Cejudo/Dillashaw stoppage was justified

The stoppage was perfectly fine. They give the ref the huge responsibility of keeping both fighters safe. That’s what MacDonald did in this fight. I just watched all kinds of different angles of replays again. He was not intelligently defending himself.

A hair early but not too bad. Everyone screams about the refs if it's too early & then again if it's too late - so it can't be both ways.

As a fight fan, sure I'd like all the fights to look like Frankie Edgars' classics.... but shit happens. TJ got knocked down several times in 20+ seconds...

I was in the crowd and I thought there was nothing wrong at all with the stoppage. even after seeing the replay I thought it still was a perfectly justified stoppage. 2 knockdowns and 20 unanswered punches....and I was rooting for TJ that night. TJ's stoppages over Cody weren't much different for all the TJ stans

He was actively turning his hips down into a single. What are you talking about?

he was rocked, sitting on his ass with one leg folded in front of himself, with an Olympic gold medallist wrestler in dominant position hovering over him, punching away.

tell us some more about that single TJ was going to execute though.

He was getting teed off on, and his noggin was bouncing in every direction. He was done.

I agree... I only saw a quick snippet of the first barrage and didn’t think too much about it.. didn’t look overall brutal, but didn’t look as though T.J. was with it and about to pop up and start firing back.. so Once I heard all the bs around and went and watched the whole sequence of events...

I am even more convinced the stoppage was legit...

And note, each of these sequences alone are not justified means for stopping the fight.. but combined in a 30 second sprint, I think they justify the stoppage...

In the first 30 seconds of the fight... the ref watched Cejudo smack a head kick off TJs face..

Then watched Cejudo push T.J. down like he was his little brother.. Pretty sure he threw another head kick that was blocked but definitely appeared to be absorbed hard..

Then Cejudo tags him on the head and drop him..

Then pounces and starts hammering away..

T.J. goes to stand, gets cracked again and kinda put back to his knees..

Finally is able to stand, Cejudo swarms again, tags and drops T.J. again.. pounces on again to finish fight - Ref jumps in...

All this in 30 seconds... the Ref didn’t jump in the moment T.J. got dropped.. or even the second time he got cracked and put back to a knee..

It wasn’t until the 3rd time T.J. looked hurt that he jumps in... not to mention the other items that could have played a factor...

Sure, a guy like T.J. May have been able to continue and been fine... maybe not.. regardless.. it was a fair stoppage and the ref shouldn’t catch shit over this...

I know Dana wanted a back and forth epic title fight between two elites... But it’s mma and this shit happens..

Looked more like a guy trying to swat away a swarm of gnats and got dizzy from bobbing and shaking his head.

Henry didn't even land anything solid. It was just a bunch of flustering.

ALL FIGHTS SHOULD BE BASED OFF FRANKIE EDGAR SCALE

1.gif

Thanks for this gif, because it proves that all the people whining "what about Edgar" are making up history in their minds. Yes, Edgar gets dropped several times. But he's also constantly working to improve his position, stand up, ACTUALLY grabbing a leg, and, perhaps most importantly, block punches. Dillashaw was flopping around on the mat like a fish. Edgar's in a bad position, but he's in the fight the entire time.

Looked more like a guy trying to swat away a swarm of gnats and got dizzy from bobbing and shaking his head.

Henry didn't even land anything solid. It was just a bunch of flustering.

Did you even watch the fight? After Cejudo knocked TJ down the first time, he lands something like 10 solid, unblocked punches in a row to TJ's head before TJ began reaching for his leg. FightMetric has Cejudo landing 15/17 of his ground strikes, and enough of them were hard enough to knock TJ back to the mat twice more after the initial knockdown. Even in OPs gif, which is just a small snapshot of the entire sequence, Cejudo snaps TJ's head back twice in a row with punches.

Early stoppage. I don't blame the ref though, it's probably harder than it looks to stop a fight at the best time especially with that early fast pace. It's a legit win for henry, he did everything right on his part.

It was a bit early, tj wasn't recovering tho i'm sure. Cejudo is the goat now

Henry was going to actively deny that td attempt and bash his brains in further

I dislike TJ too but cmon bro thats just mean
Perhaps, but that didn’t happen. The ref stopped it prematurely

ForthrightSameIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

The fabled single leg attempt, it’s clear from this angle he was not even close to grabbing Henry and was effectively only half assedly grabbing near him.
How many times have we seen this exact scenario play out and the hurt opponent escape danger? There are dozens of examples. Henry beat him up, but the fight wasn’t over. It shouldn’t have been stopped.

he was rocked, sitting on his ass with one leg folded in front of himself, with an Olympic gold medallist wrestler in dominant position hovering over him, punching away.

tell us some more about that single TJ was going to execute though.
We stop fights for being rocked? Lmao....do you want me to pull videos of sequences exactly like this where the fighter recovered? If you’re s sure he was finished then let it be decisive. It wasn’t...that’s why there’s controversy.

ALL FIGHTS SHOULD BE BASED OFF FRANKIE EDGAR SCALE

1.gif

Refs have to make a split second decision.

Yes, every fighter could possibly come back to win like Sakuraba did against Smirnovas and Galesic. But the current bar is that if you get hit a few times and seem rocked, the ref stops it.

Sure,
Maynard could have had the TKO vs Edgar
Barry could have had the TKO vs Kongo
Carwin could have had the TKZo vs Brock
Chiesa could have defended the RNC vs Lee, and then easily beaten Lee later when he gassed

All gray areas and spur of the moment decisions by the ref.

Acceptable stoppage if you're the ref but it should have continued for a couple of more seconds.

and with that controversy thrusts the rematch at 135 into an all time high. Tj needs to keep me this going talk shit on Henry keep denying hes win. Hopefully these guys cash out on the rematch

It may have been early it may not have been but if anyone thinks that TJ was getting away from that beating without the ref stepping in isnt watching what I'm watching.

TJ was going to lose and had taken a beating but it still doesn't mean that the stoppage wasn't too early.
He wasn't out, he was attempting to defend himself.

The ref was already looking to stop it and nearly did a little earlier, as soon as TJ dropped for the last time he decided to stop it. I'd have preferred him to wait a bit as TJ wasn't out and was trying to grab a leg.

It didn't change the result though so I guess it doesn't really matter, knock down and flurry wins are pretty shit though.

He was actively turning his hips down into a single. What are you talking about?

That's not really a good argument as there were instances where fighters were going for the legs of the ref after a stoppage. But in this case, I would still call this an early stoppage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back