If You Didn't Go To College, What is your Job? Are You happy/Content?

No college and it would not further me
Self employed
Just bought my first house

This is my car I paid for it in full and have added 1000's to it.

imag1535.jpg

Doing quite well and happy. Money is a bit tight after the down payment on the house and things I've bought to put in it but that should change in a few months.
what do you do? give us a hint there bud.

Before people start freaking out about a janitor making $30/hr, you have to ask what part of the country this is taking place.

I can tell you for a fact what a glorified janitor can make in Indiana where the cost of living is very low. My friend started work at Purdue University in 2004 for the Operations and Maintenance Department which consists of janitor work along with very basic fix it duties as well (nothing mechanical or requiring special skills). When he started, I know he made around $12 an hour. As of right now, his base pay rate (which is published online for confirmation) is $19.68 per hour. You get raises yearly, so I'm fairly confident he will be in the $30 per hour range long before retirement.

He got the job through his dad who did the same thing, and I remember looking up his salary and it was around $65k per year. I do think his dad ended up taking on more responsibilities such as supervising and more complicated fix-it items, but that's still good pay for janitorial work!

I work at a Westin downtown in the accounting department doing AP/ income audit. It's a fine job for not having a degree, but my plan is to finish school to help get me to the next level.

I can tell you for a fact what a glorified janitor can make in Indiana where the cost of living is very low. My friend started work at Purdue University in 2004 for the Operations and Maintenance Department which consists of janitor work along with very basic fix it duties as well (nothing mechanical or requiring special skills). When he started, I know he made around $12 an hour. As of right now, his base pay rate (which is published online for confirmation) is $19.68 per hour. You get raises yearly, so I'm fairly confident he will be in the $30 per hour range long before retirement.

He got the job through his dad who did the same thing, and I remember looking up his salary and it was around $65k per year. I do think his dad ended up taking on more responsibilities such as supervising and more complicated fix-it items, but that's still good pay for janitorial work!

Sounds about right. And if your friend did the same job in Manhattan he'd probably already be in the $30/hr range.

For sure.

My younger brother is 20 - he is not the college type and doesn't know what he wants to do yet. He is making the same mistake I see half the fucking people his age make and just trying to figure how some cool, unique job he thinks would be fun instead of actually trying to start a career.

He has gone from wanting to be a sign language interpreter, to a masseuse, to who knows what the fuck else in the past year or so. I am trying to push him into a trade, ANY fucking trade but they aren't considered cool or glamorous enough to post about on facebook so most kids have no interest it seems.

You need to tell him to go to college and get a job in an office. You know what's cool? Getting paid to post on the internet. Show him our post counts.

You need to tell him to go to college and get a job in an office. You know what's cool? Getting paid to post on the internet. Show him our post counts.

top-gun-high-five-o.gif

Hell yes, we may not be mysteriously wealthy and retired by 30, but we do get paid to post on Sherdog!

I went to 1 semester of college. I'm a farmer and work in the oil field running heavy equipment.
I don't know if I would have went further in college if it would affect my career now, but I'm more than happy with where my life is at now. I hate people and city life so my career choice works perfect for me.

Fuck happen to my reply?

Anywhos, some college, going back to finish up my CompSci degree. Now I work for the MTA here in NYC, base pay is 63k but it's more with night differential & bonus it's more, and with OT I can make 80- over 100k.

Last edited:
what do you do? give us a hint there bud.

Own my own business providing a reoccurring service for people. I could start over and choose quite a few different fields and have good success.

I can chime in as I know quite a few that either didn't go to college or dropped out. I've got a decent idea what they make. All of this is in Indiana unless noted where cost of living is low.

1. Runs a skateboard shop and clothing store. Last I knew he was on salary making around $30k. This was like 7 years ago, so I'm sure he's making more. He does own a house now.

2. Barber who doesn't make shit. He's job hopped like crazy, and I know he worked at the above skateboard shop on and off for $11 an hour.

3. Sous chef in Chicago. He makes good money, but it's a crazy lifestyle.

4. Waiter. I actually think he does ok, but obviously it's not a stable career path.

5. Lawn care - works for his dad. Probably makes the average blue collar wage.

At work, I see the financial of several as well. Around here, there are quite a few who work on the railroad making around $45k a year (they are away from home a lot though) and several factory workers who make around $40k per year.

I also got one of my buddies to drop out if college and start his own business. He didn't start one but bought a franchise in 2 cities for 350 ea per month. He is doing quite well now. Moved his family into a better home and he just bought himself a nice fully loaded silverado 4x4.

The things people own are not always a good indicator of how wealthy they are.

A guy I used to work with drives a maxed out 2013 Tundra 4x4, and his wife drives a maxed out 2013 Highlander Limited. He owns a decent house, and his wife is a full time stay at home mom with their 2 kids.

He was asking me if I knew of any checking accounts that didn't charge high overdraft fees. That was the first clue that made me realize he was in serious financial trouble. Based on everything he owned, he looked to be doing very well for himself.

Eventually, he shared with me that they have close to $70k in credit card debt, and even more in student loans. He also shared with me that he makes about $45k gross per year. That is what you call a life of negative net worth. But hey, at least he gets to drive a nice car ...

Last edited:

A guy I used to work with drives a maxed out 2013 Tundra 4x4, and his wife drives a maxed out 2013 Highlander Limited. He owns a decent house, and his wife is a full time stay at home mom with their 2 kids.

He was asking me if I knew of any checking accounts that didn't charge high overdraft fees. That was the first clue that made me realize he was in serious financial trouble. Based on everything he owned, he looked to be doing very well for himself.

Eventually, he shared with me that they have close to $70k in credit card debt, and even more in student loans. He also shared with me that he makes about $45k gross per year. That is what you call a life of negative net worth. But hey, at least he gets to drive a nice car ...

As Ive gotten older I have learned a shit ton of people are like this.

Not buying this. Basically, everyone who posts here says they didn't go to college but are doing good/great.

At the same time, statistics in the U.S* are as follows:

ep_chart_001.gif

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Either this thread only attracts successful non-academics, while the not so successful ones steer clear - or some of you are lying.

*Pretty much the same as elsewhere.

Vocal Minority

You should do some research to understand how and why thread responses are a terrible predictor and gauge of the general population -which is the data you are attempting to reconcile the responses to

Unless you are going into a field which requires certain certification and education like a doctor or lawyer -I would question the value of a college degree today.

as the network you build and your work ethic will factor in more long term -as college degrees are often just a way now to get the foot in the door -but at the costs today -I would argue that saving that expense and working on your network and experience while using alternative means or continuing education might be a smarter plan for most.

You can't get your foot in the door without a degree in a lot of circumstances. Even with what most people would call pointless degrees.

The problem with these college v noncollege threads is:

Aerospace Engineering majors go to college
Public Recreation majors go to college

But they end up in the same category somehow.

Try getting into recreation management without a degree. You will fail.

EDIT: Actually, good luck getting a seasonal recreational job without a degree.

Some people have no clue how competitive jobs are. Most recreation jobs in the west take place in relatively cheap places to live, and for example if you are Park Manager, or Park Manager supervisor at the state level you are easily clearing 70k a year.

Last edited:
Not buying this. Basically, everyone who posts here says they didn't go to college but are doing good/great.

At the same time, statistics in the U.S* are as follows:

ep_chart_001.gif

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Either this thread only attracts successful non-academics, while the not so successful ones steer clear - or some of you are lying.

*Pretty much the same as elsewhere.

I think another problem with this is all the people who don't give a shit, losers, etc fall under those bottom three categories... That screws up the % for the people who didn't go after a college degree but did an apprenticeship, started a business, trade school or whatever.

I know people like this. It is incredibly stupid that people live well beyond their means like that. Own nice stuff, house etc being house poor. I don't get why people do that.

Consulting. Currently launching my own business. I own all the tooling. I own my own home and property overseas. No debt. I think I can hit a few mill by 35 though money is not the goal. I have some friends in pharma and consider going back to school for chemistry to improve my saavy not for the framed paper.

I agree with not being able to tell what people make by what they have. I live in a cheap town but also a big oil town. Tons of young dude straight out of highschool working hard and making some decent money. You see a lot of young kids driving big nice trucks and throwing money around. I'd rather be good with money than just have a lot. Although having a lot would be nice too.

Back