If You Didn't Go To College, What is your Job? Are You happy/Content?

Dropped out of college after freshman year pursuing a journalism degree. Spent 10 years in dead end jobs before settling in as a pastry chef and baker. I love my job

Not buying this. Basically, everyone who posts here says they didn't go to college but are doing good/great.

At the same time, statistics in the U.S* are as follows:

ep_chart_001.gif

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Either this thread only attracts successful non-academics, while the not so successful ones steer clear - or some of you are lying.

*Pretty much the same as elsewhere.

Not buying this. Basically, everyone who posts here says they didn't go to college but are doing good/great.

Either this thread only attracts successful non-academics, while the not so successful ones steer clear - or some of you are lying.

I am sure the title of this thread catches non-college grad, well off people's eye.

Also, if I didn't go to college and was unemployed I wouldn't be wasting time posting on sherdog or even be paying for internet service for that matter.

I am sure the title of this thread catches non-college grad, well off people's eye.

Also, if I didn't go to college and was unemployed I wouldn't be wasting time posting on sherdog or even be paying for internet service for that matter.

To be fair, I'm a few years of hard work and education away from making that sweet, sweet middle class money. I make 11 an hour, plus 3-5 bucks an hour in tips. I'm going to have to build my resume by working for cheap/free for big names and important restaurants/bakeries while honing my craft and making connections. It's not much different than a college education, except I'm not paying for it.

Before people start freaking out about a janitor making $30/hr, you have to ask what part of the country this is taking place.

ep_chart_001.gif

Im sure that some are lying but it's not hard to find out what certain trades are paying in different areas . A Journeyman electrician that's a member of local 26 will make $40.95/hr above the cost of his benefits after completing his apprenticeship. He also gets another $5 and change/hr that goes into his annuity. I'm not a member of local 26 anymore but in the md/dc/VA area it's not hard to make a rather decent living being in a trade.

ep_chart_001.gif

Yeah, we're only hearing the success stories. I'm betting there are plenty of people reading the thread who are in their late 20's or early 30's and still work retail or fast food, they just don't want to be the first to admit it.

Im sure that some are lying but it's not hard to find out what certain trades are paying in different areas . A Journeyman electrician that's a member of local 26 will make $40.95/hr above the cost of his benefits after completing his apprenticeship. He also gets another $5 and change/hr that goes into his annuity. I'm not a member of local 26 anymore but in the md/dc/VA area it's not hard to make a rather decent living being in a trade.

Nobody is saying trades don't make great careers, many of them do and it's hard to argue against them being a better option than college for many, many people.

But just read through this thread, not 1 single person has admitted they are 27, skipped college and still don't have their shit together. This is Sherdog, you think there are no fry cooks??

I went to college but never graduated. I now do some video shooting and editing. It's ok but not super steady. Most of the better money comes from shooting weddings which sucks. I don't like the work but I do like the freedom it provides. Most of my work is from home and on my time so I don't have a set schedule or anything.

Dropped out of college after freshman year pursuing a journalism degree. Spent 10 years in dead end jobs before settling in as a pastry chef and baker. I love my job

Props for being honest, glad you found something you enjoy!

Nobody is saying trades don't make great careers, many of them do and it's hard to argue against them being a better option than college for many, many people.

But just read through this thread, not 1 single person has admitted they are 27, skipped college and still don't have their shit together. This is Sherdog, you think there are no fry cooks??

I agree. I see many adults working at fast food places, gas stations, etc. I was just noting that getting into a good trade can lead to a rather decent wage.

lol at all the uneducated fools saying they make 20 dollars plus an hour or are making "low six figures" buying corvettes, or retired in their 30's.

I can see something goes along with having no education and that's lying.

$20/hr is easy to make in certain areas. An 18 year old kid straight out of high school getting into an apprenticeship can start at $18-$19/hr. Can't say much about corvettes and retirement. I don't have one and won't be able to do the other for many years.

I agree. I see many adults working at fast food places, gas stations, etc. I was just noting that getting into a good trade can lead to a rather decent wage.

For sure.

My younger brother is 20 - he is not the college type and doesn't know what he wants to do yet. He is making the same mistake I see half the fucking people his age make and just trying to figure how some cool, unique job he thinks would be fun instead of actually trying to start a career.

He has gone from wanting to be a sign language interpreter, to a masseuse, to who knows what the fuck else in the past year or so. I am trying to push him into a trade, ANY fucking trade but they aren't considered cool or glamorous enough to post about on facebook so most kids have no interest it seems.

For sure.

My younger brother is 20 - he is not the college type and doesn't know what he wants to do yet. He is making the same mistake I see half the fucking people his age make and just trying to figure how some cool, unique job he thinks would be fun instead of actually trying to start a career.

He has gone from wanting to be a sign language interpreter, to a masseuse, to who knows what the fuck else in the past year or so. I am trying to push him into a trade, ANY fucking trade but they aren't considered cool or glamorous enough to post about on facebook so most kids have no interest it seems.
I see it all the time also. There is nothing cool or unique about what I do. It's just a career that's pays well and allows me to take care of my wife and kids.

Why do people come into these threads and tell you everything but what they actually do?

This.

I can't stand when people come swooping in like, "College is such a waste, I make 600k per year and I never went to college!" then don't say what they actually even do.

lol at all the uneducated fools saying they make 20 dollars plus an hour or are making "low six figures" buying corvettes, or retired in their 30's.

I can see something goes along with having no education and that's lying.

Don't believe me huh?

For certain fields, college is required. Good luck getting an Engineering job without the Engineering degree. I have my BSEE and the degree has already paid for itself many times over.

I would still encourage my kids to explore options outside of college. Possibly with creating their own business or picking up a trade. For my parents, me not going to college was not an option. Since they were willing to pay for 100% of it, I would have been a fool to turn that down.

IT manager, and I love my job. I'll never be rich (I make 47k per year), but I am happy, and doing far better than I ever thought I would

Back