If You Didn't Go To College, What is your Job? Are You happy/Content?

Unless you are going into a field which requires certain certification and education like a doctor or lawyer -I would question the value of a college degree today.

as the network you build and your work ethic will factor in more long term -as college degrees are often just a way now to get the foot in the door -but at the costs today -I would argue that saving that expense and working on your network and experience while using alternative means or continuing education might be a smarter plan for most.

Even though I don't have a job in the field I studied in at university. I'd do it all over again for the experience. University was the best. Learned a lot both in school and out.

Unless you are going into a field which requires certain certification and education like a doctor or lawyer -I would question the value of a college degree today.

as the network you build and your work ethic will factor in more long term -as college degrees are often just a way now to get the foot in the door -but at the costs today -I would argue that saving that expense and working on your network and experience while using alternative means or continuing education might be a smarter plan for most.

This is what I was going to say. I completely agree

I think I would definitely have furthered myself more by going to college. Currently got a new job as a car dealer, not bad so far.

Most of the people I grew up with aren't doing too good. Most are either dead, in jail or junkies. Only a handful actually made it.

I'm a carpenter, i work for a contractor and make $1,000.00 a week.
I'm extremely satisfied with my job. Never stuck in one place, get to build stuff. Pretty awesome!

Can be very tiring , harsh conditions, but whatever...

The problem with these college v noncollege threads is:

Aerospace Engineering majors go to college
Public Recreation majors go to college

But they end up in the same category somehow.

Went for a couple of months and dropped out figured I would rather just work in different areas and get experience. Worked out pretty good, don't have the dream job but I own to vehicles and live a good life. Buying a house soon and not even 30, some people I know with a degree are working for 10 a hour but they won't get off their ass and do anything. Its more about the persons drive these days I think and how much time you are willing to spend improving your life and not just waiting around for something to happen.

The problem with these college v noncollege threads is:

Aerospace Engineering majors go to college
Public Recreation majors go to college

But they end up in the same category somehow.

Exactly. Too many people go to college.

As we've seen so far ITT, skilled trades jobs are both high paying and personally satisfying. Yet for some reason people who might otherwise make decent tradespeople (after a few years taking an apprenticeship) are told to go to university and get a humanities degree.

Then those people get out of school after 4 years and find themselves unemployed - because their HS counselors and their teachers told them they gotta go to college at all costs and just take something.

I dunno why people shit on skilled trades so much in elementary and highschools. It's not that much different from going to university. You go somewhere for about 4 years to learn a specific skill,(that's your apprenticeship), then you become a certified journeyman and eventually you can become a master electrician or w/e. Pretty similar to degree/grad school.
You also get a little more well rounded and brighter along the way while you take your apprenticeship. It's the same as a degree in all the ways that really count, and you finish with a skill that will keep you employed and eating for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
So they don't have to be bartenders or work at napa as a cashier. Not everyone is as lucky as you.

Also, based on government pay scales I have a hard time believing janitor makes more then almost everyone who works there.

What's wrong with Napa? You teh ghey??

As we've seen so far ITT, skilled trades jobs are both high paying and personally satisfying. Yet for some reason people who might otherwise make decent tradespeople (after a few years taking an apprenticeship) are told to go to university and get a humanities degree.

Then those people get out of school after 4 years and find themselves unemployed - because their HS counselors and their teachers told them they gotta go to college at all costs and just take something.

I dunno why people shit on skilled trades so much in elementary and highschools. It's not that much different from going to university. You go somewhere for about 4 years to learn a specific skill,(that's your apprenticeship), then you become a certified journeyman and eventually you can become a master electrician or w/e. Pretty similar to degree/grad school.
You also get a little more well rounded and brighter along the way while you take your apprenticeship. It's the same as a degree in all the ways that really count, and you finish with a skill that will keep you employed and eating for the rest of your life.
Self employed or well paid small business trade jobs is where it is at. Why people look down on those types of jobs I will never understand.

Work in the mines & with heavy haulage trucks.

No degree needed & it's great pay.

I took the easy way out and joined the Navy. I make the same as my friends that went to college but I dont have the debt they do.

Nothing wrong with not going to college but have a plan. Military, trade, and be flexible with the location of your work. Take your ass to up Alaska or Canadian oil fields or something. Jobs are out their you just gotta be willing to go to them.

One of my brothers and his friend started a business right after high school. They are making millions now. It was a combination of persistence and luck. Another one of my brothers didn't even finish high school but has done well. He's been running his company for 25 years now. This is hard manual labor and there were times for all three when things were really rough.

My two other brothers and I went to college. One is in sales and is killing it. The work has nothing to do with anything he studied. The other is doing okay but was better suited for the work he did in the military. He was a Ranger and also did intel work. He studied biochem in college because at the time he planned to become a veterinarian.

I have three advance degrees in subjects I loved studying but have not worked in a while. My wife (who studied languages at school) has a good job (nothing to do with her studies though) that pays more than I can make as a professor so I take care of our kids and train jiu jitsu at night. I have a very comfortable life but am not sure I'd say I'm satisfied or proud or happy. This is not where I expected to find myself. If I had to do it again, I think I'd join the military after HS. I've done a lot of carpentry over the years and could envision following up on that.

I don't know what I'll tell my kids about college. You can learn a lot during those years. It can be fun and rewarding. But it can be a complete waste of time too, especially given the cost now, and the dodgy job prospects for graduates. Gone are the days, I think, when you can justify spending four years reading philosophy or novels or studying art or languages. I know some people think this is probably a good thing, or something that was deserved. I think it's unfortunate though. Times change.

Last edited:
Firefighter. Love it, but I'm broke most of the time.

Never went to college, got into the trades instead. Great pay, but you can literally make as much money as you want by doing side jobs. People need their ACs fixed, need electrical repairs, need leaks fixed, need to drive their cars. Even if they're broke, they somehow manage to find money to pay somebody like me to fix it and it'll cost them an arm and a leg.

Back