If you could, should you?

supdudexxx

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When rolling or positional drilling, if you see an opening for your bread and butter sweeps/subs, do you take it?

A lot of the time when I'm rolling or positional drilling with someone who hasn't been going as long or isn't as good at a certain position, I don't take the easy subs or sweeps.

Say if we are positional drilling from guard, partner is trying to pass and I am supposed to sweep, submit, or stall, I will set up subs or sweeps, but with 50-70% intensity and usually pause before I finish to let the other person work. I'll go just hard enough to make them work, but not totally shut them down. I feel like I'd rather let them learn the pass than to "win" the roll, but at the same time I don't sit there like a dead fish.

What say you gentlemen?

Kill them 'all I say.

You do not do any favours to your teamates by taking it easy.

So, if an opportunity presents itself should you take it?

yes?

Don't dumb down your skills for someone. They need to learn from you.

smash em the first time so they know whos boss,but if u go again then go 50% to help them learn as well

I guess I go back and forth here, I see the benefit on leaving opening for someone to learn, but at the same time you've gotta get your repetitions in where you can. But I've seen many of our new people go into competitions and get scared shitless because someone is trying to finally take their heads off.

Well, white belts gotta' learn how to survive first.

Against really new people I give them an opportunity and tips to learn. I figure there's enough people smashing them and making them simply survive.

"Sometimes you are the hammer and sometimes you are the nail."

Go for whatever is there, but don't force something that isn't. That's my philosophy.

Sometimes when you roll with a guy it's really obvious that he's going for stuff that isn't there just because he wants to tap you. Don't do that. Other times you can tell a guy is just letting you do moves on him and not even defending. Don't do that either unless you're rolling with someone way smaller and less experienced than you.

It depends. I always try to sweep everyone, but it's kind of a dick move to sweep new guys or kids all the time or anything like that. I'm not too eager to end up one of the graduates's wrath... besides, it's the time to try new things.

if they start to learn how to defend your bread and butter techniques then it will make them better which in-turn will make you better. revolving cycle

It all depends. Most of the time, if there is a big skill difference, I wont go for my bread and butter stuff. Instead I'll look to work on stuff I'm not so good at. On the other hand, if a competition is coming up, sucks to be them. I'm gonna work the game I intend to work at the competition.

Hm so it looks like the consensus of most of you is to not take it so easy. Sometimes though, especially if I know I can submit or sweep somebody, it's not so satisfying doing it.

For instance I like hitting triangles and it's my highest percentage sub. But hitting triangles 7 times in one night is less satisfying than hitting a sub/sweep once or twice that I'm not so good at. And even letting the less experienced guys work/learn and get their confidence up helps me feel better about myself since I helped a team mate get better and feel better.

It's like playing basketball with your 10 year old kid brother. Sure, you could dunk over him and school him all night, but wouldn't it make you feel better to see him steal the ball from you and get better at his two pointers?

Hm so it looks like the consensus of most of you is to not take it so easy. Sometimes though, especially if I know I can submit or sweep somebody, it's not so satisfying doing it.

For instance I like hitting triangles and it's my highest percentage sub. But hitting triangles 7 times in one night is less satisfying than hitting a sub/sweep once or twice that I'm not so good at. And even letting the less experienced guys work/learn and get their confidence up helps me feel better about myself since I helped a team mate get better and feel better.

It's like playing basketball with your 10 year old kid brother. Sure, you could dunk over him and school him all night, but wouldn't it make you feel better to see him steal the ball from you and get better at his two pointers?

I don't feel like the basketball analogy applies. Are you rolling with 10 year olds? You're rolling with people your size (assumingly) and around your age, if not older. If I was great at basketball, yea I would take it easy on my little brother every now and then but if I was playing with one of my friends that sucked, I'll school them. Especially if his goal is to get better. Learn during the drills and put it to practice on the court.

As a white belt I feel it is a bit patronizing for my partner to not take something obvious by taking it easy on me while we're free rolling. That may just be me though, I'm not offended but it might erk me a bit. If I'm not caught in practice, I'm sure I'll get caught in competition. I'm a firm believer of you become better by going against the best so I always try to encourage my partner to take what they can get.

Judo Bounce, when I used the basketball analogy, I didn't meant to compare my teammates to 10 year olds, but I more so meant to say I think of the newer guys as my younger siblings and it gives me that really good feeling inside to help them learn and see them happy about getting that pass, or hitting that escape, etc.

For sure the guys who are better than me or around the same level I don't intentionally take it easy on them. But you guys all bring up good points and I don't want to offend or end up handicapping my training partners. I'm gonna try to not be patronizing and really make them work for it. I'm still not gonna smash 2 week old white belts, but you guys know what I mean.

Judo Bounce, when I used the basketball analogy, I didn't meant to compare my teammates to 10 year olds, but I more so meant to say I think of the newer guys as my younger siblings and it gives me that really good feeling inside to help them learn and see them happy about getting that pass, or hitting that escape, etc.

For sure the guys who are better than me or around the same level I don't intentionally take it easy on them. But you guys all bring up good points and I don't want to offend or end up handicapping my training partners. I'm gonna try to not be patronizing and really make them work for it. I'm still not gonna smash 2 week old white belts, but you guys know what I mean.

Trust me, they'll feel so much better when it happens on their own merits. I know you mean well but remember that they also roll with other people and have many other oppertunities to get pass/sweep/sub/ etc with people that aren't at your level. Its sort of like leading them into a false sense of security I guess? Don't know how to word it. When rolling, take it if its open and then after the roll tell them how it happened and how to improve their defense against that technique. You seem like a cool guy and I can see your point so I guess take it in moderation if you insist on it and let them know when you're going all out or not. Just my thought on it.

Sometimes if I am in the mood for it I will get a sub to the point where I know I have it 90% and let the guy figure his way out instead of finishing so that he opens up another sub or sweep. I don't normally... I should do this more often because it helps create excellent flow during transitions.

Back