If you could improve one aspect of BJJ, what would it be?

Shadowdean

Fear the Menanite!!!
@purple
Reaction score
What do you think is the one area that BJJ is most lacking in and how would you improve it?

Note: I thought you meant which areas I need to improve in BJJ. Not which areas in BJJ need improved...

Two: Sweeps and Takedowns! I used to be really good at takedowns, but too much grappling from knees has ruined me. :( I've been going to the undergraduate Pitt Wrestling Club to work on that, actually. However, I fear that it will take months to correct the damage. :(

I would also like to work on sweeps. I feel really uncomfortable doing them, so I try to practice them whenever I can.

There is no aspect of BJJ to improve. It's just up to you to improve your game.

If Bjj would change one thing, I wish they would change the belt system, and just get one big one for everyone to use.

Most places i know of would be better if they worked more on takedowns, but sometimes there just isn't enough room to do it safely

my leglocks are my biggest weakness, i'm tall and lanky so people always go for them,

More nogi work.

I agree about takedowns as well.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
If Bjj would change one thing, I wish they would change the belt system, and just get one big one for everyone to use.

If anything, there should be more belts between blue and white, like in Judo. The curve from a new white-belt to a senior whitebelt is WAY too high, IMO. That isn't a major concern though.

I say takedowns as well. I practice Judo as well, so I don't have to worry about that. :D

I would definatly put a belt between white and blue I think, then again isn't that what all white belts like me that arn't good enough for blue think :p

I hope they never change the belt system, it's the best i've seen (normally I HATE belts).

As for what they can improve, takedowns (even this varies from club to club).

Stand up... In my school we always sart the sparring from knees...

imo, i do enough drilling takedowns and throws and not enough standing randori.

the belt system is great...all you noobs need to suffer through wearing that miserable whitebelt for a year or two, itll make blue that much better trust me :D

colinm said:
imo, i do enough drilling takedowns and throws and not enough standing randori.

the belt system is great...all you noobs need to suffer through wearing that miserable whitebelt for a year or two, itll make blue that much better trust me :D

I'm waiting for that day to come...

take downs..
However by focusing more on takedowns it would have to de-emphasize the ground game. Bjj is fine how it is. It is ground grappling with a small amount of take downs. If you want something different, go to judo/sambo or wrestling.

Takedowns.

Hint for those of you who want to get good at sweeps: Make a goal to not close your guard. Keep it open, so you're forced to always be attempting something.

Back