If you could have one current UFC champion as your coach...

This is incredibly incorrect. Ronda could teach a few about intensity and dedication. Rouseys us one of the hardest working fighters in the UFC. She seems to be overly hyped because no woman in MMA has proven they can beat her, and she makes dominating look easy. She's famous for her armbar, but Ronda's judo, striking, grappling, and cardio is never is never in question and that's why she's one of the greats.

Conor McGregor is the definition of hype. Ronda has proven she's more than hype, she's the real deal.

I never said anything about "intensity and dedication", I said Ronda doesn't know about marketing herself. Conor does.

aldo and weidman would be my top 2 choices, pettis 3rd.

aldo and weidman both high level black belts.
weidman a plethora of wrestling and all around grappling experience.
all 3 top notch on the feet.
all 3 come off as intelligent individuals who can execute technique and have a deep enough understanding of them to teach as well.
i would love to learn more about pettis's striking style for mma.

Easily MM. He's the most skilled and also seems like the most suited to coaching.

I'd take GSP over any current champ all day long, though if I really had to pick just one... Weidman's probably the next best choice.

There's probably another half-dozen fighters that aren't champs that would be better picks than the current titleholders.

Tj dillashaw, because he would bring in team alpha male to help and he is brilliant at mixing things up

The telling thing about this subject is that not a single one of the current UFC champions has ever had their own gym.

Pettis because mastering the striking aspect sounds the most fun to me in addition to being able to say "Fuck you - this is what you get for humping my leg, you boring, grapple-fucking twat."

Pettis because mastering the striking aspect sounds the most fun to me in addition to being able to say "Fuck you - this is what you get for humping my leg, you boring, grapple-fucking twat."

Just in case that comes off as fighter-bashing, I wasn't referring to any. It's the mindset I would want to have: excelling in stand-up but being slick if anyone wanted to win on points.

The telling thing about this subject is that not a single one of the current UFC champions has ever had their own gym.

not many athletes at the peak of their competitive career do.

not many athletes at the peak of their competitive career do.

Name a champion who has become a successful coach. I can think of two.

Maybe four if I really dig deep.

Being able to follow instructions is not the same as being able to give instructions.

TJ Dillashaw. Wrestling pedigree and can show how to improve your striking to highly effective quick

Lawler. Just because someones a good fighter doesn't mean they'll be a good coach. Lawler has been around a long time and has lots of insights and experience.

Name a champion who has become a successful coach. I can think of two.

Maybe four if I really dig deep.
List of Zuffa champions who have trained champions:

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (JDS)
Murilo Bustamante (Big Nog)
Pat Miletich (Pulver/Sylvia/Hughes)
Urijah Faber (Dillashaw)

Back