If you could drill triangles only one way for the next 5 years...

HomerPlata

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What would you consider the "most correct" way to do it? Verbal descriptions are good, videos even better. Just wondering what everyone else's take is on the subject, and yes, I am obsessed with triangles.

i just read that out loud in a will ferrel voice and i have nothing to add

There`s no "most correct" way to do a triangle.

No, I know that. It was just a hypothetical question that popped into my head. If you could only drill it one way, what way would that be?

We drilled triangles just this past Tuesday so the content is still somewhat fresh. (Thanks to Jimmy Cerra for the awesome class!)

For triangle exercises we did from a sitting position feet flat on the floor rolling onto our backs keeping the knees together and then pushing your legs/feet straight up into the air. This then transitioned from side to side into the triangle with each leg.

Then rotating a 1/4 turn while doing this was added in.

I was watching the Eric Paulson CSW dvd's and he has a very similar exercise with a partner when you do this motion and kick a person's hand with your foot - your partner makes their hand high enough so that you have to bring your hips off the ground.

From there we went to partner drills where we were getting into position from guard.

The specifics of that are probably out of the scope of your question, but once you're in a position to place the triangle you need to get the crook of your knee around their neck, with you calf muscle on their spine - keeping control of their head directly or via grabbing you shinbone is necessary to prevent them from posturing up and breaking your half finished triangle.

From here lock your other leg around your ankle, not your toes...your ankle/top of foot, pull your triangle tighter with your hand on your shin - push the head down further with the other hand if necessary, but keep them from posturing up.

The part that made it really work for me was then taking the side that has the arm out of the triangle and underhooking it and using it for leverage to pull yourself to the side which really tightens the whole thing up.

That's my take on it...first time I ever drilled it in an actual class, but the more of the basics you know, the more advanced you are.

There are surely many legit ways, but this is how I do it:

1. Acquire head & arm position with legs, ankles crossed, both hands on back of opponent's head
2. Shoulder-walk backwards until my thighs form an obtuse angle with my stomach
3. Foot on hip and grab own shin, stiff-arming own knee to shoulder-walk a bit further if necessary
4. Rotate perpendicular, underhook arm and hold own knee
5. Jam far knee into opponent's triceps to minimize space and close triangle on the outside of his shoulder
6. Stomp + curl to finish (

It's funny how, just by asking an open question like this, some people assume I'm a fucking idiot. Tell your ego I said thanks for the input.

Who said you were an idiot? Do you find it condescending to mention important basics when asked to describe exactly how one would prefer to drill a technique?

Who said you were an idiot? Do you find it condescending to mention important basics when asked to describe exactly how one would prefer to drill a technique?

:icon_conf Come on, lad. Give it up.

The question itself is flawed because the triangle choke is a technique that requires so much adjusting depending on how your opponent reacts--whether he postures up or stacks you, which way he turns, where his trapped arm is, where his free arm is, etc. So the best way to drill a triangle is not one way, but many different ways. You have to be able to set it up, lock it on, and finish it, no matter what your opponent does to defend.

Find a training partner who will give you a little bit of resistance while you try to triangle him and he tries various different escapes.

Back