if you can't draw PPVs why should you get paid?

Because they need a full card and nobody wants to pay $60 for 1 or 2 fights that draw or $200 to $15,000 for tickets to a fight with 1 or 2 fights.
but obviously people are willing to fight for the wage they offer, since the cards are always stacked

so who are you to say they should offer higher wages. clearly the pay is competitive

There are of course other concepts such as hazard pay and medical benefits but generally speaking it's about supply and demand.

Listen, I get that you've taken a business class or two, and can throw out jargon that might throw people off, but literally nothing you've said changes that the demand is for the fighters, not for the owners. Consumers also demand constant improvements in the product, and if the most important part of the product, the fighters, aren't improving due to a lack of sufficient compensation, the demand will go away.

You seem totally engrossed in a black and white world where either the fighters are all making millions every year or we stick with the current system. If you can't recognize that keeping the current breakdown is bad for the future of this sport, then you're just a shill who's on the boards only to quiet an issue the current owners don't want to hear.

There's a reason Zuffa sold now, and it's because they recognized that the fighter pay issue wasn't going away.

all the fighter negotiation/contract talk has me asking that question. In capitalist society marginal benefit = marginal wage. It's unclear why some guy who draws nothing should really get compensated all that much
"Some guy who draws nothing"
What a shit state of affairs. I don't give a shit how much money the summer blockbuster film has drawn in its first weekend. I only care if it's the best film worth seeing with the best starring in it. I guess the ad industry loves idiots like you. Ride the hype train my friend. This is supposed to be s sport, remember?

at the risk of actually taking a skullmaskid thread seriously, ill give you an answer.
kim vs reyes was until the swanson vs choi fight the outstanding fight of the year, buried on the fightpass prelims, two guys on 10 grand each gave it everything.
im guessing live viewing figures were tiny compared to the top of the card
in other words, it dont matter how many PPV points it brings in, it can still be a stinker....see UFC 200 silva vs cormier.
selling tickets is no guarantee of a good fight, giving a good performance, and being paid a living wage to train on and improve helps the sport.
if one of those guys had to give up MMA cos he couldnt afford to live on a pittance, we would have lost that great performance, and any future ones they may give.
folks already bitch about unjustified title shots, ducking, etc, if everything was about money, fedor and cyborg could crush cans forevermore, but MMA fans would turn away in droves

Remember that the draw is not only because of the main event. I often buy ppv for other fights if the main does not interest me.

How could you ever quantify how many ppv a fighter draws? By taking a survey? Good luck getting every ppv purchaser to respond, and respond with every fight they were interested in on the card. Even if u repeated exact same card with 1 fight different to isolate that fight there would be too many other exterior factors at work to get a legitimate reading if that fight sold ppv or not

To dear casual fans,

This is UFC, Ultimate fighting champion, we only guarantee you a great fight, those drama that brought by fighters are bonus for you guys, which isn't listed down inside the prescription of the ticket.

You pay for the ticket to watch fight, not a movie. Perhaps you need an English lesson to differentiate between theater and fighting ground.

Whether my fighters are able to draw crowds is none of your fuxking business, you do have the right not to attend every single PPV.

If you assure every event will be like the circus when Conor is available, you should watch WWE instead.

Regards,
UFC

It's not that simple. I will agree that pay should be largely based on how much you drive revenue, but it's the entire enterprise that makes money, not just one person. You are buying a show, not just one single fight. Even if you only are really a fan of one guy it's unlikely that you would buy a card with just him and any bum off the street with nothing else on it. At the very least you wouldn't pay nearly as much.

I don't understand why so many people on this site seem to be happy that fighters are underpaid or barely getting by. I assume most people who post here fall under the hardcore fan category so why wouldn't you want to see anyone who competes in the UFC be able to make a decent living.

You get paid what you are worth at the end of the day

The UFC is the draw
Put most of these fighters in a different group and do they sell out 20,000 seat arenas?
Hell no, they'd be lucky to do 2,000
It seems like they get paid based on how many people actually want to see that person perform just like every other combat sport/pro rasslin organization in history
The UFC chooses their draws. There are unique guys like Conor that can carry themselves, but even he needed the UFC to give him that initial big push. When the UFC is supposed to be doing the promotion work, then they also have a large responsibility in what fighters do, and don't get popular. For the most part, the UFC does a shit job at promotion.
How are there not more UFC guys getting small parts in movies, tv shows, stunt work, fight choreography, and other random talk show and youtube shit? Everyone talks about MM not being marketable, but put him in some fun little game segment of a show where he taps out a bunch of average Joes and that would bring more eyes. There's quite a few attractive guys and girls on the roster that should be doing stuff as well. There's a lot of things they could do, or try, but they just throw all of their eggs in the same baskets. The UFC only cares about their brand, which is absolutely stupid in a sport that is all about individuals.

Listen, I get that you've taken a business class or two, and can throw out jargon that might throw people off, but literally nothing you've said changes that the demand is for the fighters, not for the owners. Consumers also demand constant improvements in the product, and if the most important part of the product, the fighters, aren't improving due to a lack of sufficient compensation, the demand will go away.

You seem totally engrossed in a black and white world where either the fighters are all making millions every year or we stick with the current system. If you can't recognize that keeping the current breakdown is bad for the future of this sport, then you're just a shill who's on the boards only to quiet an issue the current owners don't want to hear.

There's a reason Zuffa sold now, and it's because they recognized that the fighter pay issue wasn't going away.

Alright buddy. Clearly there is no point in discussing anything with you that isn't Dragonball Z. You can go back to your fantasy land now.

But I promise you that you are not making a difference and nothing you say or do will change the "current system". I am simply trying to explain to you why that is the case.

The UFC only cares about their brand, which is absolutely stupid in a sport that is all about individuals.
How is it stupid?
They are protecting their brand the same way the NFL does
No one in the NFL is bigger than the Shield. no one is bigger than the game, no one is bigger than the letters NFL, which is why the NFL continues to roll along even though they lose major stars to retirement every year
Fighters come and go and if you build them up too much then business will dip and maybe even die after they leave but if you build up the brand above everything and everyone then you have a much better chance of long term survival
Tito retired and the UFC continued to grow, GSP retired and the UFC got even bigger, Brock left and the UFC just sold for 4 billion
Whats so stupid about making the brand, the UFC, the only part of this business you can actually control, the star?

How is it stupid?
They are protecting their brand the same way the NFL does
No one in the NFL is bigger than the Shield. no one is bigger than the game, no one is bigger than the letters NFL, which is why the NFL continues to roll along even though they lose major stars to retirement every year
Fighters come and go and if you build them up too much then business will dip and maybe even die after they leave but if you build up the brand above everything and everyone then you have a much better chance of long term survival
Tito retired and the UFC continued to grow, GSP retired and the UFC got even bigger, Brock left and the UFC just sold for 4 billion
Whats so stupid about making the brand, the UFC, the only part of this business you can actually control, the star?
Oh no, it's smart for Dana, and the owners because they get the lion's share of the money this way. But it is stupid for the sport, and for the future of the sport if they were actually trying to make it main stream. Guys like Tito, Brock, and Lesnar can take 5 years off, come back and still make money for the company. You can't do that in another sport. It's not comparable to the NFL because those are team sports. People love individual players, but they grow up watching and rooting for teams, especially when it's their hometown. The same dynamic doesn't exist in combat sports. People are attracted to fighters for different reasons, and it's pretty stupid to not let that grow.

You get paid what you are worth at the end of the day
This is a tired trope that isn't true. This would only be the case if the power levels between employer and employee were equal...they are not in many cases..and they are definitely not in the UFC.
You get paid what you can get. And that isn't always a measure of what you're worth...though it can be someitmes

Why does this even concern you? Do you work for the UFC?

Just enjoy the fights brah

That's my point, not yours. Caring about fighter pay is the stupid thing to do, they are grown men signing grown contracts, and aren't forced to do it in any way.

UFC shill detected.

I suppose you're a shill for every company that you aren't saying should pay their workers better?

I suppose you're a shill for every company that you aren't saying should pay their workers better?
Joined in 2007
Total posts 26

And this is the shit you reply to?

Get the fuck outta here you shill.

That's my point, not yours. Caring about fighter pay is the stupid thing to do, they are grown men signing grown contracts, and aren't forced to do it in any way.

Yeah that's my point

Joined in 2007
Total posts 26

And this is the shit you reply to?

Get the fuck outta here you shill.
Joined in whenever, have a shit ton of posts, replies in about ten minutes when I didn't care enough to get back in 2-3 weeks. And this is how you live your life?

Or, you know, you could try and counter what I just said. Why are fighters, specifically, deserving of pay that they didn't contract with their employer for, when they don't bring in more money for their employer?
Why not a coal miner, or a computer manufacturer, deserving of a raise over what they contracted for, when they aren't providing value to justify it? Are fighters uniquely "oppressed," to use the bs language of the left? Is getting paid to fight, something many do for fun, such a great oppression?

And why don't you do something about it, if it's truly an injustice? Start a gofundme, start your own promotion. I know it's not the same as posting on internet forums all day but maybe you could figure it out.

Back