if you can't draw PPVs why should you get paid?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by skullmaskkid, Dec 21, 2016.

1. skullmaskkid

skullmaskkid Banned Banned

Fertittas put millions of dollars on the line and in play, some knucklehead risking a concussion pales in comparison

Lorenzo F. likes this.
  2. helltoupee

helltoupee Black Belt

Fair enough, I can buy some of your points, however I think the statement that CM Punk could replace Mighty Mouse and things would still sell is a bit off. It might work for one fight where people tune in to see the spectacle, but I think it hurts them after that.

But again, I don't think we are too far off. Good post.

3. Lorenzo F.

Lorenzo F. Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Because the TV networks buy all the games outright, get a fucking clue moron.

And as for the question, here's the answer:

You shouldn't.

4. UseARubberGuard

UseARubberGuard Wrap it up

That was over a decade ago. The risk is over. We can now adjust how much they are being paid.

I'm not saying that it should be 50/50, but you can't pretend that circumstances can't change. That'd be like saying Apple shouldn't pay their workers well because they almost went bankrupt one time.

5. Frank Edgar

Frank Edgar Purple Belt

Do they get this stipend until they retire like you suggested? I highly doubt that these swimmers make enough with these stipends to live out the rest of their lives. It's just enough so that they don't have to take up another job while they represent the country.

$3000 a month is like $36,000 a year for probably very few swimmers compared to the number of paid fighters the UFC has on its roster.

And the UFC allows sponsors too. They just can't wear it while walking out to the octagon. Have you seen MetroPCS commercials with Ronda Rousey?

6. helltoupee

helltoupee Black Belt

Risk is relative. A million dollars, if you are a billionaire, is not the same as a million dollars if you only have a million dollars.

Comparing that to someone's health/potential death is stupid. Money can be replaced, your body/life can't.

7. skullmaskkid

ask an actuary how much a life is worth, surprisingly little man

8. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

you shouldnt, they dont - unless you have been loyal to the company, in which case you may get hooked up more than necessary

the truth is that those commodity spots have a ton of fighters dying to have that opportunity to fight in the ufc - im sure they could even fill the cards for free if they wanted to

9. skullmaskkid

I'm just saying in real life, not just MMA, wages aren't determined by fairness

helltoupee likes this.
  10. UseARubberGuard

When did I suggest a stipend until they retire? I suggested a raise.

And I'm not even going to address your assanine response about sponsers

11. helltoupee

helltoupee Black Belt

We are talking about it's relative worth to the individual who is taking the risk -

12. skullmaskkid

but you are not getting paid over how much your life is worth to YOU, you are getting paid what the market values your life at. I'm not saying it's right but this is a capitalist society we living in mang

helltoupee likes this.
  13. Frank Edgar

Frank Edgar Purple Belt

Except that WME-IMG bought the UFC and now THEY took on the risk. I do not have time to explain very simple business concepts to you.

If you are unwilling or unable to understand then just keep believing that the owners are greedy and evil but I guarantee you that every successful business is exactly the same.

14. UseARubberGuard

And how do you think that gets changed?

I understand how the real world works, people will keep doing selfish, manipulative things until they get called out on them. The UFC got to make its profits off the backs of the fighters, now it's up to us to try and make sure everyone knows they are being screwed.

I'm looking for a realistic change to wages, which is well overdue, especially given the Reebok deal

15. Thepaintbucket

Thepaintbucket Silver Belt

Cause it makes the sport look poor and Dana White used to always go on about how great the pay is. Now that we know the percentage they were giving the fighters, it makes the UFC look even worse. I know someone will bring up boxing as an example for low pay but they aren't even comparable considering how organizations and promoters work in boxing.

16. strikezone

strikezone Purple Belt

If you can't draw PPV just start imitating Gorgeous George.
    Worked for Ali, Mayweather, Conor etc etc

17. Frank Edgar

Frank Edgar Purple Belt

Except fighters CHOOSE to put their health and lives at risk. They CHOOSE to get punched and kicked in the head for a living. They can bag groceries for a living and never put their health at risk. Or better yet, they can become rival promoters to the UFC and keep 100% of the profits IF they can actually run a business successfully.

Pay isn't based on how dangerous a job is. It's based on how much money the good that you are providing is going to make. For example, if I work in a fishing boat, yes it's a dangerous job, but I'm not getting paid for the danger (well somewhat but I am simplifying things for you), I am getting paid for the fish I catch, which people will purchase and consume. Because fishing is dangerous I, as a fisherman, can choose to increase the price of the fish that I catch in the marketplace to make up for putting my life at risk. And the buyers can choose whether or not to pay this increased price or just buy some other type of food or to buy fish from another fisherman who is selling his fish for less.

If I wanted to be a professional skydiver that would be even more dangerous than working on a fishing boat, but I'm not catching any fish or any other good or service, so I will make zero dollars, even though I am taking a HUGE risk with my life and health.

Fighters don't get paid just because they get punched and kicked. They get paid because people are entertained by watching them get punched and kicked. If very few people pay for this, then they will not get paid much. No one is forcing them to do this for a living.

There are of course other concepts such as hazard pay and medical benefits but generally speaking it's about supply and demand.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  18. Fedorer13

Fedorer13 Purple Belt

You need to study harder in your high school economics class.

19. 1King

1King Green Belt

You get paid by what you're worth to a company money wise. If they can replace you and not miss anything $$ wise, you're replaceable, therefore you can't justify a raise.

Make yourself more valuable somehow.

20. DanaWhitesButler

DanaWhitesButler Brown Belt

Because they need a full card and nobody wants to pay $60 for 1 or 2 fights that draw or $200 to $15,000 for tickets to a fight with 1 or 2 fights.